follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 01-26-2019, 10:29 AM   #29
pogofx

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'll be running nannies off. Any opinions on a starting point for tire pressures? I'm running PS4S's at 225/45/17. Temps will be in the 50's. It's been about 15 years since I last ran an autocross. Just trying to ease my way back into it. Thanks.

Last edited by pogofx; 01-26-2019 at 12:53 PM.
pogofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #30
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
I don't like the car imparting input onto itself that I didn't initiate. I find with the long press the E-diff kicks on when you take on a bit of curb which is really unsettling. There are also a few corners where I used to get a bad mid corner push while trail braking which I believe is the EBD.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #31
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Did well yesterday in the event. Hands down much faster in the trac off hold. Tried 2 runs in VSC and it just killed rotation.

This is a Puretrack event. they use curbing and a well laid out course so no "sea of cones" type of event. This is a vid from someone else but good for seeing what the event is about. Awesome day. 8 runs.

https://www.facebook.com/ezecena/vid...943353000/?t=0
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:33 AM   #32
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The trail braking comments are interesting and something I hadn't considered.

I may play with the pedal dance.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:34 PM   #33
Imp
Bring out your dead

Drives: '14 BRZ (SSC), '00 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Interesting, do you think you were faster with the aids on or do you think you'd be able to get more time babying it through with the aids off?
It'd be faster with the aids off (long press, not pedal dance). Definitely. It was pouring rain with standing water, knowing it was going to be better in the afternoon runs, so it was a "let's see what happens" for the morning. (1st person listed: http://www.ner.org/wp-content/upload...llenge_fin.htm )

Also, this event was probably the most comfortable I'd been in the car all year.

--kC

Last edited by Imp; 02-06-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Imp For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #34
Imp
Bring out your dead

Drives: '14 BRZ (SSC), '00 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrqlessWonder View Post
I remain an occasional pedal-dancer, owing more to site conditions.

On the long press, If I get a rear up in the air it'll intrude...intrusively. Easier to trigger when Hoosiers were still a thing, but bumps in the middle of a sweeper and some elements that go over a crown in the surface will get the diff intrusion too. It will also trigger if I really get a lot of wheelspin, usually in the snow and going sideways. At which point by the time it's intervened, any hope of being on the fast line was already sort of gone.

I will say that all my instances of ice mode got pretty well resolved with the ferodo's, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdtbdtbdt View Post
During one of the last autox events this year, My (long time pro) co driver and I experimented with the different traction settings in the cold and wet. I use a pedal dance eliminator ( http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/mig-...l#.XEr1VGl7naQ) in STX. Our fastest times came with all the nannies disabled. We agreed that all the traction and stability controls kicking in and out (often mid-turn) really hurt the predictability of the handling. Our opinion ended up being that if you are at all serious about autox, you should learn to drive and get comfortable with the"86" with the nannies off.
Are you two at the same site(s)? Just curious. Both of you are NY, and talk about a bad surface.... same place? Where?

I've never experienced anything that would have me want to do anything more than long press to disable, but Devens and Lincoln are fairly decent surfaces.

I'm also curious how just changing pads in combination with the pedal dance would eliminate ice mode, since ice mode is ABS controls "freaking out" pulsating the pedal... doesn't matter what pad you have I would think, and grippier pads would make it worse because the ABS wants the car to keep moving and not locking up? Just seems odd to me.

--kC
Old 02-06-2019, 01:46 PM   #35
TrqlessWonder

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Are you two at the same site(s)? Just curious. Both of you are NY, and talk about a bad surface.... same place? Where?

I've never experienced anything that would have me want to do anything more than long press to disable, but Devens and Lincoln are fairly decent surfaces.

I'm also curious how just changing pads in combination with the pedal dance would eliminate ice mode, since ice mode is ABS controls "freaking out" pulsating the pedal... doesn't matter what pad you have I would think, and grippier pads would make it worse because the ABS wants the car to keep moving and not locking up? Just seems odd to me.

--kC
We are not. Not sure who bdt is, but Duchess county is NYC/Hudson Valley area, I'm out in the CNY region., So I don't think we're talking about similar places.

Crossing the crown on a runway site is the most reliable way to trigger the diff for me. Sorry if that wasn't clear, the intrusion for me is the brake diff biasing.

The pads and ice mode is has more to do with initial bite and release characteristics (with a pinch of adjusting technique) Factory pads bite kind of ramps up for me as pedal down, nothing-nothing-nothing-lock up. Because not enough is happening while I'm trying to brake, my brain says to push on the brakes harder, and once they start really generating friction, I'm asking for way more than I should, and undesirable behavior ensues.

The ferodos start grabbing (pretty well) while my foot is still going down, so I'm less likely to overdo it on braking before the brakes start meaningfully slowing the car down. They also seem much easier to modulate for me.

I also don't very frequently push the brake pedal all the way down to the floor anymore now that braking starts when I want it to, as opposed to when the pads get around to (finally start generating real friction) it.
#24 CS/CSR
TrqlessWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrqlessWonder For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (02-06-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 06:22 AM   #36
bdtbdtbdt

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
I'm running lots at Met Life stadium. Sealed blacktop. STX.
bdtbdtbdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:08 AM   #37
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
We have a test & tune (pending weather) at our super bumpy site (Bristol), so I'm going to try the pedal dance.

I guess I need to look up how to actually do it.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #38
nico_rsx

Drives: BRZ 2017 Pure Red, MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
@TrqlessWonder
What model of Ferrodo are you using?
nico_rsx is offline   Reply With Quote