follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-22-2019, 01:11 PM   #43
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I'm extremely surprised they let you under the lift, typically that's a crazy insurance risk they wouldn't consider - very cool. Good that you caught the damage, even if it is slight. Last thing you'd want is an issue that they could readily deny and place the damage on your shoulders. I've never seen the FA20 on a stand before, looks anemic and out of place with a timing chain instead of the belt assembly..
The secret is to not ask first.

I'm glad for the chain over a belt though, especially considering how much more difficult it would be to change.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dake For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (01-22-2019), Tcoat (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #44
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The only one I had go on an old car was the 58 Nomad. And it was spectacular!
Driving down the highway and it started to squeal. Before I could get pulled over it went BANG GRIND BANG. The bearing had let go and the shaft wobbled which totally destroyed the impeller. The whole shaft then shot forward about 6 inches. The problem with that was the rad was only 4 inches away. It was a mess. Unfortunately there was no running to the local wreckers for 58 Chev parts in 1983 and since the internet was still a dream it meant hours on the phone looking for parts. Managed to get a pump from a dealer with old stock but had to have the rad re-cored which took some time. I was very aware of water pumps from that day on.
Yep, I got the picture.

Hell, you didn't need the "whole" radiator core anyway -

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:03 PM   #45
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
The secret is to not ask first.

I'm glad for the chain over a belt though, especially considering how much more difficult it would be to change.
My 91 Talon had a belt. They were supposed to be changed at 100,000 miles and I was a little late so it slipped at 102,000 miles. Interference heads means exactly that! The whole head became an example of modern art.
Dadhawk (01-22-2019), Dake (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 02:55 PM   #46
beezee

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Freeman Toyota of Hurst TX offered to replace spark plugs (declined, had them replaced only 7K ago - by them!) and belt (accepted), for cost of parts only, since they had the engine out.

When I picked it up, the invoice included labor charges for the belt and an oil change (not requested, but they said was part of the recall service). I said "Uh uh, not gonna happen!" and they removed belt labor & oil change charges. Whether a mistake or trying to slide one by me, I can't say.

They were pretty prompt with the service (I was not in a rush to get the car back) and did a good job of communicating throughout the process.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:51 PM   #47
Open Loop
2013 FR-S Whiteout / SSC

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am planning on taking my car to Rorich Toyota in Pittsburgh (on Liberty Ave.) The service representative did not sound particularly pleased when it became apparent that I have not had my car serviced there in the past. They want to see the car in person before they agree that it needs the work, so I have an appointment for 2/1 to take it in. They did ask me what work I may want to have done in addition to the recall work. I told them that I would be interested in having the plugs done (I'm at 45K).

I may want them do the (original) TOB as well, as long as labor reflects that they will already be looking at it. I would also consider the clutch/pressure plate and maybe flywheel if we can agree on hourly labor reflecting that they are already there.
Open Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:14 PM   #48
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
It's not about whether or not they'd be "pleased" to do it or whether they agree it needs it: it's a manufacturer recall. If it's on the list, they're required to do it.

That being said, I don't think I'd trust a dealer that was giving me a hard time about bringing it in.

Quote:
My 91 Talon had a belt. They were supposed to be changed at 100,000 miles and I was a little late so it slipped at 102,000 miles. Interference heads means exactly that! The whole head became an example of modern art
Yikes - that is a mighty tight margin!
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dake For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #49
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
What is everyone thoughts on shimming the heads/adjusting valve clearance while this is done? It is not part of the repair.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:32 AM   #50
ottawafrs

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMont View Post
I'm due for a trans oil change, among a slew of other things. Just to clarify, do they drain/ refill the trans oil for this recall procedure?
No.

Fluids changed
Coolant
Oil
Refrigerant (recovered and refilled)
ottawafrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:41 AM   #51
neo95

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafrs View Post
No.

Fluids changed
Coolant
Oil
Refrigerant (recovered and refilled)
You are correct I miss read the repair manual for this repair, it was showing for coolant. I don't know why a light bulb went off when it shows 7.6 quarts umm are tans don't take that much for fluids haha. My apologies

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
neo95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:19 PM   #52
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
What is everyone thoughts on shimming the heads/adjusting valve clearance while this is done? It is not part of the repair.
I've never heard of "shimming the heads" on an engine. One could "mill" the heads, "true" the heads but "shimming"??

As far as valve clearance, it's my understanding that this engine uses "buckets" to alter the valve clearance. However, I reckon changing the buckets could be considered "adjusting" the valve clearance ??

humfrz - after only one cup of coffee
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:24 PM   #53
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I've never heard of "shimming the heads" on an engine. One could "mill" the heads, "true" the heads but "shimming"??

As far as valve clearance, it's my understanding that this engine uses "buckets" to alter the valve clearance. However, I reckon changing the buckets could be considered "adjusting" the valve clearance ??

Not sure what shimming the head would be either?

Valve adjustment is done with these little guys:

Changing the springs will not alter valve adjustment. Although they may be out due to wear.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 04:34 PM   #54
Jamestl

Drives: None
Hey guys - interested to get a few perspectives.

I had the recall done, and in the process asked them to replace the TOB and plugs (parts only, no labor charge).

Before I dropped off of the car, evyerthing worked well. I had adjusted the clutch so it's closer to the floor vs. near the top of the clutch travel. Did not notice any clutch slippage nor had any issues with it.

A few days later I go pick up the car, and the clutch engagement was very vague and almost to the very near top of the clutch. I started driving home thinking I'll need to adjust it again when I'm home, but as I'm driving it became clear that it's slipping at any RPM above 3k with more than 50% gas. So I take it back to them, and ask them to check it to see if they might have missed something. A mechanic drove it and agreed with my assessment, and said they'll take a look.

Today they called me back and said I need to replace the clutch. I went there and asked them to adjust the pedal to see if that might help. It did a little as the clutch doesn't slip in 2nd anymore, but it does in 3rd and at highway speeds, so back i went. I ended up negotiating to bring in the parts myself and pay $250 for labor for them to replace everything (clutch, flywheel, fork, etc.).

BTW - side note, parts are significantly cheaper on the Subaru side than the Toyota side, for the same parts. An example: Flywheel for Toyota is SU003-07231. Same part for Subaru is 12310AA403. It's not quite half price, but it's close!

Anyway, my questions are:

1) Could anything related to the work on the recall screw up the clutch in such a way? The dealer obviously says no, and I don't doubt them, but I can't reconcile how the car felt vs. when I got it back, esp where the clutch pedal was.
2) The car has close to 90k miles on it, so replacing the clutch isn't out of the question, but it does seem early relative to my other cars. I usually double clutch so not sure if that wears the clutch more but saves the synchos...? On the other side, it has been on track.
3) Would it have been obvious to the tech that the clutch needs replacement (assuming it needed one when I went in)?

It is what it is at this point, which is that I'm basically gonna get all the parts replaced for ~650 (exedy parts, not Toyota or Subaru, but I understand it's the same), which isn't bad at all but I was not expecting to spend any money on the car since everything was good. But I am curious to see if I could have learned something from the process - I actually thought about having them replace the clutch when the recall was done, but then thought why spend the money when it's not broken?

Anyway, curious to see some thoughts!

Last edited by Jamestl; 01-23-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Jamestl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:41 PM   #55
ka-t_240

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

I meant nothing like milling the head. I am questioning the valve train and valve clearances. Some engines you replace shims, some you buy new buckets, etc. I know many cars have this as a service at a specific interval.

When I built my engine in my 240, the factory service manual said to set and then recheck after 1000(iirc) miles.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:42 PM   #56
ka-t_240

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Not sure what shimming the head would be either?

Valve adjustment is done with these little guys:

Changing the springs will not alter valve adjustment. Although they may be out due to wear.
Yup - that is my thoughts. Figure if they are that far into the motor, it would be something that would be worth checking.