follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: How many 86 owners are planning on getting the Supra?
I'm definitely getting one 32 12.17%
I might get one if they offer a MT 100 38.02%
No, not me. 131 49.81%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 01-16-2019, 01:40 PM   #267
HRTROB

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Count me in as one of the few people here who are really excited about the new Supra. I like what I’m seeing so far and they priced it right in my opinion. I have a good feeling about this car. Brings back memories of when I went to the dealer back in 2012 to put in a deposit for the 86 without even seeing it in the flesh. Only thing I don’t like in this new Supra is the automatic. Yes it shifts faster but I prefer having a clutch and rowing my own gears. I will buy one as soon as the manual becomes available
HRTROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #268
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
haha at first I was like "He's forgetting it's a shitty BMW!" but then you added that part at the end.
Ya I wasn't talking that specific engine, drivetrain or any other BMW stuff. Even if it was all Toyota the specs on an inline 6 turbo 86 would be closer to the Supra than it would be to the current 86. It would have to be to be road worthy.
The 300hp, same as current weight, upgraded parts, fit and finish, grand touring level, $30,000 86/BRZ is a pipe dream that too many people seem to not be able to let go.

Just to be clear I am not a huge fan of this "Supra" either and my objections to some of the comments made about it are more based on the simple fact that my opinion is not fact but neither are others even though they seem to like to present them as such. Much of the criticism and statements that the car is "crap" and a "flop" are totally subjective and based purely on some "enthusiast's" biased view of the world.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #269
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
2jZ builds also do not meet the crash test and reliability requirements that the manufacturer has to. Sure you can get away with putting an engine in but from the factory they would need to beef up pretty much everything to deal with the increased power. To them it is not just a matter of dropping in whatever engine they want and calling it a day. A factory made 86 with a 2JZ in it could very well gain 700 pounds.

A very quick look at weights (not verified ) shows the 2JZ at 700 pounds and the FA20 at 377. There is half you weight difference all at once.
pretty sure that weight is with the trans but regardless I get your point. I'm sure building the Supra off a convertible platform probably doesn't help with weight savings either...
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #270
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Ya I wasn't talking that specific engine, drivetrain or any other BMW stuff. Even if it was all Toyota the specs on an inline 6 turbo 86 would be closer to the Supra than it would be to the current 86. It would have to be to be road worthy.
The 300hp, same as current weight, upgraded parts, fit and finish, grand touring level, $30,000 86/BRZ is a pipe dream that too many people seem to not be able to let go.

Just to be clear I am not a huge fan of this "Supra" either and my objections to some of the comments made about it are more based on the simple fact that my opinion is not fact but neither are others even though they seem to like to present them as such. Much of the criticism and statements that the car is "crap" and a "flop" are totally subjective and based purely on some "enthusiast's" biased view of the world.
Well remember when everyone thought the FRS would go on sale for something like $18,000 in 2012 (13MY obv.).. and were pissed at 25k or whatever...

Everyone wants a value

My biggest issue is who is this car even marketed to? Enthusiasts? Not really IMO.. Supra fans? Again, I don't really see it... 350/70Z fans who just hate the hatch? Maybe?

I honestly wouldn't put this car in the same class as a Cayman. The same class as the Audi TT, Z4, etc I guess but did we really need another car in that group?

It just kind of seems to fit a price point and performance point (on numbers alone) that no one was really asking for.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-16-2019), Th3rdSun (01-17-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 02:12 PM   #271
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Well remember when everyone thought the FRS would go on sale for something like $18,000 in 2012 (13MY obv.).. and were pissed at 25k or whatever...

Everyone wants a value

My biggest issue is who is this car even marketed to? Enthusiasts? Not really IMO.. Supra fans? Again, I don't really see it... 350/70Z fans who just hate the hatch? Maybe?

I honestly wouldn't put this car in the same class as a Cayman. The same class as the Audi TT, Z4, etc I guess but did we really need another car in that group?

It just kind of seems to fit a price point and performance point (on numbers alone) that no one was really asking for.
I think it's trying to undercut the base Cayman.

Doesn't Porche sell more PDK Caymans than manuals? That would explain why the Supra only comes in an automatic.

I'd imagine the enthusiasts that want a manual are going to make up small number of sales.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #272
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTROB View Post
Count me in as one of the few people here who are really excited about the new Supra. I like what I’m seeing so far and they priced it right in my opinion. I have a good feeling about this car. Brings back memories of when I went to the dealer back in 2012 to put in a deposit for the 86 without even seeing it in the flesh. Only thing I don’t like in this new Supra is the automatic. Yes it shifts faster but I prefer having a clutch and rowing my own gears. I will buy one as soon as the manual becomes available
heyyy I finally found someone who feels the same in the vast ocean of hate. High five!
Old 01-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #273
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
heyyy I finally found someone who feels the same in the vast ocean of hate. High five!
Honestly, I think the design is OK and I hope they sell every one they build (which they will, and a lot of them at a premium early on).

Personally I think they could have even called it the 86/2 (GT87 maybe?) and it would have been great since the 86 platform already has the legacy of being a "joint venture".

This was a poor use of the Supra brand though. The Supra should have been a 2+2 all Toyota parts car. That's the only way I would have even considered it.

Overall, for the price, there are other cars I would rather have. The 86 was the only car in its price class I would have purchased, any other purchase would have knocked me into $40K or more at the time.

With the Supra, I'd rather spend the extra money somewhere else.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 02:41 PM   #274
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
2jZ builds also do not meet the crash test and reliability requirements that the manufacturer has to. Sure you can get away with putting an engine in but from the factory they would need to beef up pretty much everything to deal with the increased power. To them it is not just a matter of dropping in whatever engine they want and calling it a day. A factory made 86 with a 2JZ in it could very well gain 700 pounds.

A very quick look at weights (not verified ) shows the 2JZ at 700 pounds and the FA20 at 377. There is half you weight difference all at once.
Not to mention trying to get that dinosaur certified under today's emission standards. I would hate to think about the changes necessary to the fuel system and engine management to pull off that feat!
Tcoat (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #275
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
350/70Z fans who just hate the hatch? Maybe?
The Supra has a hatch too. From the shape of it I cannot imagine a 350/370Z owner preferring it over theirs. (The hatch, not the car.)
Old 01-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #276
Tcoat

Quote:
I don't hate it I just don't like BMWs. They can be the best car in the world and I would not be interested. I have just been jaded by the crowd that generally likes them. You know the guys "well my Beemer...You know I have Beemer right... Beemers are the bestest...""

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Honestly, I think the design is OK and I hope they sell every one they build (which they will, and a lot of them at a premium early on).

Personally I think they could have even called it the 86/2 (GT87 maybe?) and it would have been great since the 86 platform already has the legacy of being a "joint venture".

This was a poor use of the Supra brand though. The Supra should have been a 2+2 all Toyota parts car. That's the only way I would have even considered it.

Overall, for the price, there are other cars I would rather have. The 86 was the only car in its price class I would have purchased, any other purchase would have knocked me into $40K or more at the time.

With the Supra, I'd rather spend the extra money somewhere else.

I could look past a joint venture Supra but this car has nothing to do with the name. They really seem to just use the branding to meet the price point. It could have been a Celica but that implies something less expensive. Hell if they wanted to tie it to the 86 heritage they could have just called it a Tureno and been done with it but that may imply Corolla to too many of the "enthusiasts".
As I have said already they built the car almost exactly as they said they were going to so the end result shouldn't have caused this much negative reaction. I think many people fell for some of the clickbait story speculation and expected something different than what Toyota said they were going to give.
Dadhawk (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #277
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
Not to mention trying to get that dinosaur certified under today's emission standards. I would hate to think about the changes necessary to the fuel system and engine management to pull off that feat!
Oh the list is very long but many ignore all those requirements since they feel that the car companies meeting the regulations is somehow voluntary.
Just to bring the 4 banger version over to the US would involve a whole new set of crash tests and emission certifications which would probably cost them more than they would ever make selling them.
Dadhawk (01-16-2019), daiheadjai (01-16-2019), Dave-ROR (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 03:09 PM   #278
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm sure there are plenty of people who will like the car once it releases. Right now you just have a fanatical group of people that are upset it doesn't meet some random spec list in their head at a bottom barrel price. No doubt there are people that will be legitimately disappointed for one reason or other, but I feel like most of the stuff I am seeing in online comment sections comes from the former group. It was never going to please everyone, that's just the reality with these overhyped releases nowadays.
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #279
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,339 Times in 4,125 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Let me guess the battery grip?
It's too long ago, I don't remember.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:39 PM   #280
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
The Supra has a hatch too. From the shape of it I cannot imagine a 350/370Z owner preferring it over theirs. (The hatch, not the car.)
Well the Z has that cross bar/brace that basically makes the hatch useless for anything remotely large. The 350Z was especially terrible, I guess the 370Z isn't as bed. I wasn't very clear but I didn't mean that they hated the fact that it was a hatchback. Actually a hatchback design is probably the one thing I like about the new Supra..
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote