follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Saw a car, fell in love, deposit down.... Did I do alright??

Somehow I'd not heard or seen a thing about the BRZ/FR-S until about two weeks ago.

I'd been toying with the idea of replacing my Jeep with something more fun ON the road rather than OFF. Prior to my 6 years of Jeep Wrangler driving I'd owned a 2003 Mitsu Evo which was preceded by the econo-box Lancer OZ Rally Edition. Though I'd set the latter up with coilovers and tires such that it was a fun drive.

I'd been thinking that I'd wait a year to 18 months and see about getting a 2012 Mustang Boss used for hopefully around 30k or preferably less or perhaps a used STi at the time. Aside from this there was nothing out there that really excited me but I knew that after 6 years it was time to move on from the Jeep.

The Wrangler is a wonder in the snow and was able to drive my entire family and a big load of crap 30 miles through the biggest nor'easter we've seen in decades last year to a relative's house when we lost power in frigid temps. It was a long trip but satisfying to know that I could handle my $*!% in the snow. I'd decided, though, that I can live without this. Storms like this have become rarer in these parts and there's nothing preventing me from picking up an old beater 4x4 pickup for a couple grand later on. If I'm going to buy another car I want it to be fun where I spend 99% of my driving time.....on the road.

So, two weeks ago I was driving past the Toyota dealership here on my way to work when a truckload of cars was backing in. I saw two vehicles that caused me to do a triple take. A red and an orange FR-S. As soon as I got to work I looked up everything I could on the car. I learned about it's development and its twin, the BRZ. After reading all the reviews and doing yet another triple take at the price tag I decided this was the car for me (pending a test drive).

I visited two Subie dealerships first as I was attracted by nav and the HID headlights but at the first one I was dealt with in a very pushy manner. They would not let me put down a deposit on the grey BRZ they were expecting in any day and, instead, wanted me to buy the car before ever seeing it. I left. I visited another dealership that had the BRZ in exactly the spec I'd want but at this point the price-tag of the FR-S and the sexy front bumper were starting to attract me. I decided a lower payment was desirable as I could always add aftermarket nav later on so I visited the same dealership I drove by that first day.

This dealership is one that my family has purchased 7-8 cars from in the last 8-10 years. We've never had a single complaint and I recommend them to EVERYONE. I was at the bank today and overheard two employees discussing the ****s at the Nissan dealership in town and then the incredibly pleasant experience they had when they left and went to Toyota. The satisfaction of buying at this dealership was as good, for me, as any other feature on the car and worth something.

Yesterday, I emailed someone new at the dealership after learning that the salesman we'd always worked with was no longer there. I set up a test drive of the one automatic they had remaining at 1pm today. Afterwards I discussed what I wanted. An Asphalt FR-S with the 6MT and no additional features. Piddly stuff like the wheel locks and the bumper applique were fine but I wanted nothing to do with the Bespoke system. They told me that they were expecting the same vehicle in red any day now and since red is typically more desirable they shouldn't have any issue doing a dealer-swap to get me the Asphalt that I wanted.

I accepted MSRP + dest and options. They did not try to markup the car and told me, though I was wary to believe it from the dealership themselves, that Scion pricing is set at no-haggle rates wherever you go. I don't know how true that is so I was prepared to make another attempt to drive them down a bit when they offered me $1k more than Carmax did for my Jeep which has pretty low miles but needs new tires and the paint needs some TLC. I put down a $500 deposit, which I made sure was refundable, and hope to hear about the results of their attempts to locate my car within a week. I also filled out a credit app but made them assure me they would not run it unless I call them and give them the go ahead.

Vehicle Price: 25,066.00 (incl dest charge, wheel locks, and applique)
Doc.: 349.00
VIN Etching: $159.00
Tax: 1623.95
Reg: 114

Total: 27,311.95

Trade: 12,000.00

Amount to Finance: 15,311.95

The charge for the VIN etching seems reasonable. I know it's already done but I suppose they deserve to be paid for it.

I wanted to check out obtaining financing personally. I visited TD bank as Chrysler Financial handed my Jeep loan over to TD Auto Finance a couple years ago and I've made 69 months of payments without issue (never doing a 6 year loan again). They provided a 3.99% interest rate quote. This, of course, assumes excellent credit. I feel that I should come close if I let them run my application.

I'm wondering what folks have seen for rates by financing through Toyota/Scion. I heard mention of a 2.9% rate currently available. I intend to go with a 48 month term.

Any thoughts on this deal? I'm going to try calling the sales guy in a few days and telling him that I've been looking through the numbers and I really need them to bump up what they are offering for my trade in order to make the payments work for me. KBB puts the Jeep at $13.8k for a trade in value but it needs tires so I'm thinking I'll shoot for $13k.
Chewie4299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Oh yea... the one they have coming in (Firestorm) I'll take if they aren't successful getting it in grey. The only color I really dislike is silver.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
clevrname

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I have firestorm and I love it.

I did 72 months at 3.89% through Scion and my credit score was a 747, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a 2.9% available for 48 months, Scion seems to be pretty legit.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Jidonsu

Drives: Scion FR-S | 6MT | Ultramarine
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm in CT too. I have a deposit down at A1 Toyota/Scion for an Asphalt one as well. Which dealer did you work with? I went to the one in Middletown today to see the ones they had in stock, but I didn't like the experience there.
Jidonsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post
I'm in CT too. I have a deposit down at A1 Toyota/Scion for an Asphalt one as well. Which dealer did you work with? I went to the one in Middletown today just to check out the ones they had, but I didn't like the experience there.
I've dealt for years with Toyota of Wallingford. I've been to A1 before and didn't mind the experience but I've never purchased there.

I've worked with many dealerships and there are two that I've highly recommended for years every time the topic of car buying comes up. One of them is Toyota of Wallingford and the other is Executive Jeep. Interestingly enough I've not, personally, purchased a vehicle from either dealership. Instead, I've had terrible experiences with Papa's Dodge and the County Line Auto Group and I go out of my way to prevent anyone from even thinking of visiting them. I purchased a Jeep several years ago from Papa's Dodge and after my experience I never returned once driving off the lot. When I finally needed service I took the vehicle to Executive and they treated me like I bought a car from them every year even though I never had. My family has since purchased two Jeeps from Executive.

As far as Toyota of Wallingford is concerned, I've been a part of the purchase process with my mother, my grandmother, and my aunt. We've never had a second though about visiting them when it's time for a new car. We've purchased three Camrys, a Corolla, a Matrix, and a Tacoma. My uncle also just recently bought a Prius from them.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Seems pretty fair to me. Trade-in is tough for something like a Jeep that does not get good gas mileage. Even though KBB is used as as reference point, it also comes down to what cars are selling at wholesale/auction, how a particular car is selling locally, popularity, etc. You will definitely get more money selling private, so you could always try listing it before you trade the car in. Jeeps have a pretty good following so you might be surprised what you can get.

Otherwise, getting the best finance rate (if you are a member of a credit union, they usually have good rates) and trying to get more for your trade is about all you can do. You could try to have them reduce the doc fee, but dealers don't often do that on a popular new model.

Good luck, and congrats!
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
encity5

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie4299 View Post

Vehicle Price: 25,066.00 (incl dest charge, wheel locks, and applique)
Doc.: 349.00
VIN Etching: $159.00
Tax: 1623.95
Reg: 114
ouch on the doc fee, im glad new york state has a cap on the DOC fee here.
I managed to get my vin etching free after they did some "recalculating" and "friendly discount" All it was was 3 minutes of someone going around the car and pressing a piece of paper against the window.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Seems pretty fair to me. Trade-in is tough for something like a Jeep that does not get good gas mileage. Even though KBB is used as as reference point, it also comes down to what cars are selling at wholesale/auction, how a particular car is selling locally, popularity, etc. You will definitely get more money selling private, so you could always try listing it before you trade the car in. Jeeps have a pretty good following so you might be surprised what you can get.

Otherwise, getting the best finance rate (if you are a member of a credit union, they usually have good rates) and trying to get more for your trade is about all you can do. You could try to have them reduce the doc fee, but dealers don't often do that on a popular new model.

Good luck, and congrats!
Thanks. From my experience over the years within the Jeep community and discussing buying selling with car sales people I know the Wrangler, despite it's not so hot gas mileage, always sells. People love them. Heck I've loved it and it's gonna be tough to let it go.

I know I could get more selling it on my own but I did that with my Evo. Dealing with scheduling meets, test drives, deals falling through, and taxes are not all that fun. If I can get them up to $13k I'll be extremely satisfied and will sit back and salivate while I wait for my new car.

I'd love some advice from anyone with the experience on tactics I could use to get them to move on the trade. I've done my research on pricing for similar vehicles with similar miles and they could likely sell it on their own lot for $17-$18k after putting new tires on it and a little TLC with the paint on the front half of the vehicle (vertical surfaces and road debris don't mix well).
Old 06-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
EsoBOFH
Senior Hoonigan

Drives: 2016 Hot Lava 6MT FR-S
Garage
Seems like an OK deal.. you did exactly what I did.. rather than haggling price, I negotiated the trade-in value, and got 1000 more than what the initial offer and competing offers were ($18k, on a 2007 tundra), which lowered the payments nicely.

I don't get the VIN etching thing though... my dealer does some police tracing thing where they etch a number (not the vin) all over the vehicle for identification if it's stolen.. I assume it's the same thing? They didn't charge me for this - if they would have, I would have told them to take a hike, as I didn't request it.
EsoBOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
raphymartinez

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Did you already agree to the numbers as presented to you?

"Amount to Finance: 15,311.95"

Meaning, did you sign a purchase order when you gave them your deposit that shows this as you r final price?

The reason I ask is because there's nothing worse than a customer that wants to change a deal after both parties have agreed upon numbers.
Imagine how you would feel if they called you when your car arrived and the dealer then decides that now the car is $1,000 more than you agreed.

(yes you may all flame on me for that since we all know that dealers are evil and customers are always right)
Old 06-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphymartinez View Post
Did you already agree to the numbers as presented to you?

"Amount to Finance: 15,311.95"

Meaning, did you sign a purchase order when you gave them your deposit that shows this as you r final price?

The reason I ask is because there's nothing worse than a customer that wants to change a deal after both parties have agreed upon numbers.
Imagine how you would feel if they called you when your car arrived and the dealer then decides that now the car is $1,000 more than you agreed.

(yes you may all flame on me for that since we all know that dealers are evil and customers are always right)
Nope. I put down a deposit and filled out a credit app which they will not run without my consent but did not sign anything further.

I'm on my guard when walking into a dealership but I don't classify them as evil until they give me reason. I don't intend to try to get everything at cost but I feel my trade could get me a little more.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to see this car and go "Woah, what was that? You mean it's affordable? I'll take it!"
Old 06-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #13
raphymartinez

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Nope. I put down a deposit and filled out a credit app which they will not run without my consent but did not sign anything further.

I'm on my guard when walking into a dealership but I don't classify them as evil until they give me reason. I don't intend to try to get everything at cost but I feel my trade could get me a little more.
Fair enough
Old 06-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #14
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:

One of the things with scion is their tradein policy is also no haggle. Some dealers have a used lot that they can use to manipulate the trade in value with, but not many do. a trick with the financing is to go and get a quote from another lender. When you sit with the finance department mention this.

Scion will offer you a flat scaling rate based on your transunion score with a best rate of 3.05%, but they will offer you better rates through third party lenders if you get warranty upgrades (i went for ding and dent repair and rim repair for 5 years) they bumped me down to 2.75%.
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote