follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2023, 01:47 PM   #1
alex.s

Drives: '17 BRZ Premium. Totaled: '16 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brake pad springs rubbing on rotor?

Hey y'all.

I've done my brakes many times in the past but this time my pad springs are rubbing on the outside of the rotor (which does have a little bit of rust on the outside of one half of it) and it makes an annoying squeak as the wheel turns which is audible when going slow.
I took things apart and tried adjusting it again and made sure the clips are seated correctly in the calipers but I can't seem to get the squeak to stop unless I hold the spring up slightly.
I tried sanding down the rust on the outside but didn't go very far with it. it was kinda strange to me that the old clips didn't rub but the new clips do so I figured I'd reach out here before I jumped into anything... the new springs/clips looked identical to the old springs which didn't rub at all.
The rotors themselves are fine aside from the little bit of rust on the outside surface which is definitely where the springs are touching (not on the surface that the pads touch, on the outside diameter) but since they're still fine on the main surface I didn't think it was time for a replacement.

I didn't think it was possible to put the clips in backwards or something. maybe that's what I did? I guess I could take 1mm from the clip area that's rubbing or something.
I guess I could go a bit more with a dremel and a sanding wheel or something on the rust but wanted to see if anyone else here has seen something like this and what you did to help it. Maybe I'm just brain-farting on it.

Thanks all.
alex.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 07:07 PM   #2
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
some pictures of what you're working with might help
Old 01-07-2023, 11:38 PM   #3
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
This shouldn't happen; usually plenty of clearance

Did you get the correct pad and replacement hardware kit? In the parts system, the car has multiple compatible brake options. It's possible you got the pad/hardware kit for the smaller solid disk brake system (if you're having trouble with the rear brakes)
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 08:52 PM   #4
alex.s

Drives: '17 BRZ Premium. Totaled: '16 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
it turns out there was a lot more rust on the back inner area of the rotor toward the center that was causing the issue. the clips were a red herring... when pulling on them it was just letting the pads out a bit more. the change happened because the previous race pads I had were slightly smaller. going to replace the rotors and probably swap the pads again cause I don't really like the new pads anyway.
alex.s is offline   Reply With Quote