follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Arizona

User Tag List

Old 12-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #1
IceFyre13th

Drives: Mazdarati
Thanked 1,369 Times in 675 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Wheel Studs

Looking for a place in Mesa that can replace all 20 of my wheel studs with the new ARP ones I have.....
Old 12-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #2
IceFyre13th

104 views and not one suggestion, Brakes Plus wants $500.....that is way too much for this........I could do it myself but do not have a press.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:59 PM   #3
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My suggestion would be to go buy a harbor freight press and do it yourself.

Replacing each stud for a shop is going to take a decent amount of tinkering and work, so it's best relegated for a speed shop that's setup for this sort of thing.

A HF press can go pretty cheap if you get a coupon, I think I got my 20 ton for $80 on a 4th of July sale.

Use it once and you'll realize how nice it is being able to do jobs like this on your own!

Edit: I am not local, as you can see, but I do a lot of mechanical work on my own cars. This job isn't bad if you follow the DIY, and are comfortable doing a brake job.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #4
IceFyre13th

With only the one answer that was to by a press (would of still cost more, even with the 20% coupon).

I just had to replace my tires, Discount Tire recommended Network Alignment in Gilbert as another factory stud broke during the tire replacement.

ALL 20 studs replaced by them for $148 .00 and under 45 minutes.

Hopefully the ARP replacements will last longer than the crap the factory used.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:17 PM   #5
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Sorry I missed this thread first time around.

Network Alignment in Gilbert is good people.

I used SRD in Tempe, they took a little longer (and were a little more expensive), but they're also good people and I enjoy giving them my business. I don't remember how much, it was about 4 years ago.

Studs are doing great, and have MANY wheel changes to their credit - I put race tires on before each autocross and remove them afterwards. You will be very happy with your purchase.

My studs are probably due for a new set though. If you change wheels as often as I do, you should consider studs and lug nuts to be wear items. And just like brakes, you don't want to discover what happens when they wear too far.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:43 PM   #6
winstonscifi

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Red Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
As I am fairly new to this car and this forum, I get the feeling that the studs are crap. Does this mean, that if I go out and buy new tires from someone other than my Toyota dealership, every time they rotate the tires (free rotation is usually included with tire purchase), I should be concerned that they may break one or more of the studs? Does buying the new tires from my Toyota dealership guarantee that they will cover a problem with the studs? I'm not trying to be a dink, here, I'm just finding out how often these studs fail. Thanks so much in advance!
winstonscifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #7
IceFyre13th

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonscifi View Post
As I am fairly new to this car and this forum, I get the feeling that the studs are crap. Does this mean, that if I go out and buy new tires from someone other than my Toyota dealership, every time they rotate the tires (free rotation is usually included with tire purchase), I should be concerned that they may break one or more of the studs? Does buying the new tires from my Toyota dealership guarantee that they will cover a problem with the studs? I'm not trying to be a dink, here, I'm just finding out how often these studs fail. Thanks so much in advance!
Every time the dealer broke one they fixed it free, but discount tire or other places may / will not. At a "normal cost" of $50 per replacement it adds up fast, yes the factory studs are crap..........

ARP makes replacement studs for our car in standard and extended lengths, and a great investment in the long run. Super strong and long lasting.

My total out of pocket was less than $250 and I ordered the Studs from Summit Racing.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...pe/wheel-studs
winstonscifi (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #8
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonscifi View Post
I cross threaded one stud on my own (8 years doing tire changes on my last car, NEVER an issue). Discount tire cross threaded a second one before I upgraded to ARP. I know some people who haven't upgraded literally keep spare OEM studs on hand because they know it's going to happen.

If you're not changing wheels once per month or more, upgraded studs will last the life of the car. ARP also has a bit of dead space at the tip of the stud with no thread - makes it almost impossible to cross thread (it will be very obvious when you do, it's a great feature).
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
winstonscifi (03-08-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #9
.Kyle

Drives: it's grey
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bring the parts to cave creek. I can do them in short order.
.Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote