follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-18-2018, 04:00 AM   #57
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,306 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
I thought I read somewhere that the 17+ Twins deactivate the e-diff with the long-press.
That would be nice. I am assuming it is e-diff that I can feel interfering when on throttle in a turn and you run across a curb or uneven surface. Almost feels like the rear of the car hiccups. I dunno how else to describe it
NoHaveMSG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #58
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,978 Times in 2,196 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The ECU in my BMW motorbike freaks out and cuts the throttle going over rumble strips in the center of the road.
Go to pass someone, hit the strip and wtf? Have to think about it hard before I do that again.

If I cut the throttle before crossing, it's not so bad. Preemptive stupid tech adaptation.
Situational awareness, but it's still fun.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #59
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
No disagreement from me on the relative safety, I only take issue with the idea that there is "literally no risk"
Good point.

@ermax, I'm all for exploring limits and I think you reached one.

If anyone wants to pile onto me, I'm getting bitch-slapped over in the battery relocation thread.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:31 PM   #60
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Good point.

@ermax, I'm all for exploring limits and I think you reached one.

If anyone wants to pile onto me, I'm getting bitch-slapped over in the battery relocation thread.
Ultramaroon (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #61
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
Like I said, unless you're really good you're probably going to be faster with TC and SC on. Yes, the systems in the car are to keep you out of trouble but that also can make you faster.
This is patently false. Unless your definition of "really good" is just "better than the average idiot driver." It is simply impossible to be properly quick through an autocross course with the systems on, and someone who knows what they are doing will always be significantly quicker with the systems disabled. They are simply too intrusive to allow for the kind of slip angle and aggressive driving that any half-decent autocrosser would be putting the car through on an autocross course.

The systems on a Porsche Cayman, on the other hand, might be at least a bit better at allowing the kind of driving you need to do at an autocross. I drove a Cayman through a "sample" autocross course once and the driver aids were far more forgiving, and far more smoothly integrated, and just much more willing to work WITH the driver, rather than just reign you in every time it thought you were getting a bit too carried away.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (05-18-2018), NoHaveMSG (05-18-2018), Tcoat (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 10:45 PM   #62
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
The systems on a Porsche Cayman, on the other hand, might be at least a bit better at allowing the kind of driving you need to do at an autocross. I drove a Cayman through a "sample" autocross course once and the driver aids were far more forgiving, and far more smoothly integrated, and just much more willing to work WITH the driver, rather than just reign you in every time it thought you were getting a bit too carried away.
I was driving my 997 yesterday and the only time I got intervention (with systems all on) was when I was pushing hard enough to rotate the car under braking. Porsche's systems are much, much better about letting you drive the car (within reason). The BRZ would have been in full panic mode even with sport mode activated.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (05-18-2018), Tcoat (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 10:56 PM   #63
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
I was driving my 997 yesterday and the only time I got intervention (with systems all on) was when I was pushing hard enough to rotate the car under braking. Porsche's systems are much, much better about letting you drive the car (within reason). The BRZ would have been in full panic mode even with sport mode activated.
Your 997 is also 12 years old. No system that old is as intrusive as cars now.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:04 PM   #64
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
This is patently false. Unless your definition of "really good" is just "better than the average idiot driver." It is simply impossible to be properly quick through an autocross course with the systems on, and someone who knows what they are doing will always be significantly quicker with the systems disabled. They are simply too intrusive to allow for the kind of slip angle and aggressive driving that any half-decent autocrosser would be putting the car through on an autocross course.

someone who knows what they are doing=really good, better than average
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:11 PM   #65
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
someone who knows what they are doing=really good, better than average
If someone's driving is so piss poor that the nannies help then FFS, turn that shit off and learn how to actually DRIVE.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:46 AM   #66
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Your 997 is also 12 years old. No system that old is as intrusive as cars now.
The real problem with cars now is that you can't really tell the difference between "intervention" and normal operation anymore, since so many little things happen beyond your control as routine functionalities. I drove a 991 GT3 a while back and the thing does so, so much before it ever blinks a traction light at you that it's difficult to tell if you're driving the car properly or not. Even when the light blinks, everything feels completely undisturbed and the car just points where you steer it. Weird. No me gusta.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-20-2018), Ultramaroon (05-20-2018)