follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-29-2016, 11:54 AM   #29
ChrisD

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwd View Post
If you want to use one can just eliminate the intake manifold connection since it doesn't do as much.
Its odd that you and Northwest are saying the PCV port on the left of the engine (looking at the car from the front) that goes to the top of the inlet manifold doesn't do much, as every other thread on here says the opposite. They all say that that's where most of the oil is caught and that the breather pipe on the right side that feeds back into the air intake (before the throttle body) doesn't do much.
AVO Stage 4 Turbo, Carrillo forged con rods, 10:1 CR Carrillo pistons, AVO 3 inch turbo back exhaust, Helix clutch, TheDriveShaftShop drive shafts, lightweight flywheel, NamelessPerformance hydraulic hand brake, KW V3 coilovers... and lots of other little bits
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #30
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
But there won't be any PCV valve to open now. That was never in line with the catch can anyway - that valve sat between the port on the engine and the inlet manifold (not between the port on the engine and the catch can). So now we will literally just have a hose going straight from the PCV port on the engine case into the catch can. Then the breather hose from the other port on the engine case will go into the catch can as well. Then the catch can will go to atmosphere. That should work right? My engine builder seems to think so
Sure that will work fine. I missed the bit about not plumbing either back into the intake/intake manifold. You won't have a vacuum source to pull crap out of the crankcase though, so I'm not sure you'll catch very much. When I built a higher HP WRX in the past I actually used an electric vacuum pump with a similar setup.

The PCV line is more important in a NA application IMHO, if you are FI the intake manifold is pressurized more of the time, even in partial throttle, so there is no vacuum to pull anything out of the crankcase.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xwd For This Useful Post:
ChrisD (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 12:20 PM   #31
ChrisD

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwd View Post
Sure that will work fine. I missed the bit about not plumbing either back into the intake/intake manifold. You won't have a vacuum source to pull crap out of the crankcase though, so I'm not sure you'll catch very much. When I built a higher HP WRX in the past I actually used an electric vacuum pump with a similar setup.
Yeah that's the part I'm concerned about, not having anything to actually pull it out of the crank case now. Although I guess if enough gas/vapour builds up it will be forced out through that hose or the other breather hose anyway. Someone told me the crank case will pump it out, but I haven't found any evidence of there actually being a pump. The Toyota PDF about their PCV system (attached to this informative post: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=75 ) only mentions it using vacuum to draw vapours back up into the intake manifold.

Regardless, blocking these ports off should solve our problem of oil getting into the inlet manifold for now. Will probably invest in the Radium dual can setup and get that in soon though
AVO Stage 4 Turbo, Carrillo forged con rods, 10:1 CR Carrillo pistons, AVO 3 inch turbo back exhaust, Helix clutch, TheDriveShaftShop drive shafts, lightweight flywheel, NamelessPerformance hydraulic hand brake, KW V3 coilovers... and lots of other little bits
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:18 PM   #32
ChuBRZ

Drives: 2017 BRZ |Yellow series/Limited|
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I know what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
honestly I dont think mine is catching anything either, but my car is still NA so I am not worried about it. The inside of the box is a diamond pattern grill mesh material but I think the mesh is way to big to really catch much of anything.
The biggest problem you are facing in this case is condensation or lack thereof. if the oil is not condensating very well then some of the vapor will espace back into the intake. In your case all of it. It appears that with a little research I was able to avoid PPR syndrome (post purchase research). The Radium catch can kit seems to be one of the because of its design. The mount also locates it away from most heat sources. Allows for better condensation, and there for better separation of the oil. Key word is oils separator. If you aren't separating the oil from the air you're not doing anything there. Sorry, but it looks like you wasted your money on that can. Good thing I found this info. I was about to buy that AVO catch can.
Attached Images

ChuBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avo, breather tank