follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-14-2014, 09:06 PM   #2031
troek

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
ahh my mistake. you may have already, but i would make sure swapping a control arm will be legal for your class before i dropped money on one.
troek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:09 PM   #2032
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Drives: '14 BRZ - WRB Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by troek View Post
ahh my mistake. you may have already, but i would make sure swapping a control arm will be legal for your class before i dropped money on one.
I did, I am allowed one form of additional camber adjustment beyond factory for the front and the same for the rear. The "go to" parts seem to be LCA for the rear and top hats (and bolts, which don't count towards the limit).

... his name is...

C'THULHU
Turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turkish For This Useful Post:
troek (09-14-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 07:49 PM   #2033
Panman

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thoughts on this setup @CSG Mike @Racecomp Engineering :

Bilstein B6
Raceseng Camber tops
STI Pink Springs
Hardrace rear LCAs

Alignment to suit (I have this sorted)
Panman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:24 PM   #2034
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,179 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panman View Post

Bilstein B6
Raceseng Camber tops
STI Pink Springs
Hardrace rear LCAs

I'd swap out the hardrace for SPL. Otherwise, you'll be pretty happy!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Panman (09-17-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 11:42 PM   #2035
Panman

Drives: 86 GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I'd swap out the hardrace for SPL. Otherwise, you'll be pretty happy!

Unfortunately by the time I get SPLs here (Australia) they're horrendously expensive, Hardrace has local support, and are well regarded here I know a few people who track them and they are very happy with them. With the Aussie Peso diving against the US dollar any parts out of the US are increasing in price every day.
Panman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Panman For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-17-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #2036
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,243 Times in 2,964 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panman View Post

Bilstein B6
Raceseng Camber tops
STI Pink Springs
Hardrace rear LCAs

Sounds good! No experience with Hardrace but sounds like your options are limited. Enjoy.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #2037
SubiePig

Drives: -'02 PSM WRX, '94 Miata, '13 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
So I will soon be pulling the trigger on rear lower control arms. I find myself in a bit of a dilemma though. Do I back order the Whiteline LCAs ($500) and hope I get a pair by July 2015 or purchase the currently available SPC LCAs ($210). I am currently running my car in the STX class of autocross which means I cannot change the type of bearings or bushings in the control arms.

My question really is: is there any good reason for me to save some more $$ and back-order the Whiteline control arms or just go forward with the SPC control arms?

I was in the same dilemma a few months back. I ended up getting the Racer-x Fab arms instead of the Whitelines as I needed them in time for testing and nationals. They are great and I have had no issues with them. If money weren't a problem I would get the MSI arms, I plan to upgrade to those down the line.

Sponsered by:Chasebays/Corr Performance Tuning/KartBoy/Bad Panda Motorsports/Racer-X Fabrication
STX Build thread 14th/67 SCCA Nationals (2014)
SubiePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #2038
JustDoItMikey

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDoItMikey View Post
@Racecomp Engineering

Talk spring rates with me. I am building my FR-S to run NASA TT and am wondering which spring rate would fit my application best as you offer multiple options on the Tarmac II. This car is mostly track driven but I do on occasion drive it on the street so performance>ride comfort. I plan to run DOT approved R compounds such as Toyo RR or similar for the track in a 225-245 width (undecided as of yet) and will likely have a street setup using something like the BFG Rivals. I have not done any research on the need of beefier swaybars for coilovers in general but I intend to run stock sways to save on the points.

All this considered is there any reason I need to run 500 or 600 springs? What track benefits would I see running the higher spring rates? What downsides are there to running higher spring rates (besides comfort)? Is running a coilover, at any spring rate, without upgrading the sways going to be a problem?

Thanks
Still would like an answer on the above....
Old 09-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #2039
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubiePig View Post
I was in the same dilemma a few months back. I ended up getting the Racer-x Fab arms instead of the Whitelines as I needed them in time for testing and nationals. They are great and I have had no issues with them. If money weren't a problem I would get the MSI arms, I plan to upgrade to those down the line.
What about SPL? I got mine in less than 2 weeks
Old 09-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #2040
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
What about SPL? I got mine in less than 2 weeks
SPL changes the mounting point from a bushing to a heim joint, which isn't allowed per SCCA/STX rules. I think only Whiteline and SPC keep a bushing design, unless you get RacerX or someone to knock out a custom set for you.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
SubiePig (09-18-2014), ZionsWrath (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #2041
SubiePig

Drives: -'02 PSM WRX, '94 Miata, '13 BRZ
Racer-x offers them in both heim joint or poly.

Sponsered by:Chasebays/Corr Performance Tuning/KartBoy/Bad Panda Motorsports/Racer-X Fabrication
STX Build thread 14th/67 SCCA Nationals (2014)
SubiePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #2042
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,243 Times in 2,964 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDoItMikey View Post
@Racecomp Engineering

Talk spring rates with me. I am building my FR-S to run NASA TT and am wondering which spring rate would fit my application best as you offer multiple options on the Tarmac II. This car is mostly track driven but I do on occasion drive it on the street so performance>ride comfort. I plan to run DOT approved R compounds such as Toyo RR or similar for the track in a 225-245 width (undecided as of yet) and will likely have a street setup using something like the BFG Rivals. I have not done any research on the need of beefier swaybars for coilovers in general but I intend to run stock sways to save on the points.

All this considered is there any reason I need to run 500 or 600 springs? What track benefits would I see running the higher spring rates? What downsides are there to running higher spring rates (besides comfort)? Is running a coilover, at any spring rate, without upgrading the sways going to be a problem?

Thanks
Sorry, missed this!

You could easily run 500 or 600 lbs/in springs especially if you're sticking with stock swaybars. With r-comps you'll be set up nicely...a 500/550 would work well.

Spring rates that are too high and don't "match" the tire used can lead to a car that's tricky to drive...you can quickly/easily overload the tire and ultimately lose grip.

You can certainly run a coilover without upgrading swaybars. Swaybars for a track car are generally used more to easily adjust the balance of the car rather than be the primary means of roll resistance. So stock bars are fine for you and you'll just hopefully get the balance dialed in with alignment, spring rates, and damper tuning (for entry/exit).

If you like, give us a call or PM and we talk about your set-up in detail.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
JustDoItMikey (09-18-2014)
Old 09-20-2014, 12:55 AM   #2043
PNW FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Coilover Question

I've done a search of this thread... so hopefully this isn't a duplicate.

I've got some Speed by Design Pro-street coilovers installed. Overall, liking the ride quality... drop is about 1.25". Initially there was some clanking noises and "spring wind"(?) noises. Went back in... tightened some loose collars and such... and all was great.

Then, about two weeks ago (after 2 months of no issues), there is a minor "spring winding" ("sproing...") noise when the car is moving slowly... when steering rack is at full (as in parking...) -- from the front.

I went back.. jacked it up.. took off wheels and checked all collars, etc. and everything is buttoned down tight.

I've got the springs setup for 6" (all corners) - drop is about 1.25". The endlinks to sway bar (that came with the coilovers) are at default length (i.e., shortest length).

Any thoughts on 1) what is causing the "sproing" noise when doing low-speed maneuvering (e.g., parking) or is this simply a "usual artifact" of putting "street" coilovers on a 86?
Old 09-20-2014, 07:41 AM   #2044
bimmer635csi

Drives: 2013 Cayenne turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW FRS View Post
I've done a search of this thread... so hopefully this isn't a duplicate.

I've got some Speed by Design Pro-street coilovers installed. Overall, liking the ride quality... drop is about 1.25". Initially there was some clanking noises and "spring wind"(?) noises. Went back in... tightened some loose collars and such... and all was great.

Then, about two weeks ago (after 2 months of no issues), there is a minor "spring winding" ("sproing...") noise when the car is moving slowly... when steering rack is at full (as in parking...) -- from the front.

I went back.. jacked it up.. took off wheels and checked all collars, etc. and everything is buttoned down tight.

I've got the springs setup for 6" (all corners) - drop is about 1.25". The endlinks to sway bar (that came with the coilovers) are at default length (i.e., shortest length).

Any thoughts on 1) what is causing the "sproing" noise when doing low-speed maneuvering (e.g., parking) or is this simply a "usual artifact" of putting "street" coilovers on a 86?
It is difficult to analyze sound by text, but one place to look might be the swaybars. If they bang against a control arm or frame member, the spring steel may make that kind of sound you described.