follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-15-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
uspspro

Drives: DGM BRZ, MR-S 3.5L V6 swap (sold)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Which Bilstein / Swift Combo?

Based on what I have researched on this forum, I have determined that I will go with a combination of the following, but I'm not sure which exact combo will best.

My driving is mostly filled with desolate back road twisties, that are not always the smoothest roads, street driving, as well as the occasional autoX and track days (around 5-6 total events per yr).

Shocks:
Bilstein B6 or B8

Springs:
Swift Sport (BRZ) or Spec-R

I was reading that the Spec-R may actually be a better match for the Bilstein valving. I don't mind the ride being a bit stiff, as long as it can soak up the bumps such that it feels controlled on bumpy backroads.

I will probably use camber bolts with stock top hats, and RacerX LCA's with the urethane bushings, so that NVH isn't increased too much... unless some of you can attest to the spherical joint models not increasing NVH too much. Like I said, I don't mind a bit stiff, but NVH annoys the crap out of me... I just don't want that loud bang, when hitting bumps around the neighborhood.

I would guess that the B6 pairs better with the Sport springs and the B8 better with the Spec-R.

Any insights?
uspspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Sport springs are designed to work on stock shocks as well, but will also work with the B6.

If you don't need the higher spring rates of the Spec R for track use (if you don't already now if you need higher spring rates, you probably don't), I'd get the sport springs. They'll ride better, and you won't see much difference in street grip at all.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
uspspro

Drives: DGM BRZ, MR-S 3.5L V6 swap (sold)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks.

I should probably add that I will be on 225 width RE11a.
uspspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #4
Firestorm_86

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uspspro View Post
Thanks.

I should probably add that I will be on 225 width RE11a.
I run the FRS Spec with the Bilstein B6. It radically improves the way the car handles. I should mention though, that it does make it a bit harsher. But that is a sacrifice most systems under $1500 seem to net you.

If you roads aren't particularly shitty where you live, then I highly recommend them. If I lived in Florida, I'd probably keep them, but since roads where I'm at suck, I'm moving to an adjustable set.

Let me know if you're in the market for almost new B6's.
Firestorm_86 is offline   Reply With Quote