follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 11-28-2017, 11:20 PM   #29
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,877 Times in 16,444 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
..................And furthermore...
Paying fines doesn't make you a man, if anything paying a fine is submissive and shows you are weak. Then they target you even further since they know you are an easy mark to squeeze some cash out of. You go to walk right into the court room when your day comes and jump up onto the bench, squat and take a big dump up there to show them who's boss.

I was about to jump on that ...... till I read the whole paragraph .......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:31 PM   #30
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Fortunately we have the internet to tell us the truth of the matter:

Also an article on quotas and how they still exist although they aren't supposed to any more: https://www.npr.org/2015/04/04/39506...licing-lingers
So your own "evidence" goes to show that they are illegal, and departments are being sued for having them. At least someone is policing the police.

Still not a great source to use. Besides, how else are police supposed to show that they're doing their jobs?

Quote:
And furthermore...
Paying fines doesn't make you a man, if anything paying a fine is submissive and shows you are weak. Then they target you even further since they know you are an easy mark to squeeze some cash out of. You go to walk right into the court room when your day comes and jump up onto the bench, squat and take a big dump up there to show them who's boss.
So one day I decide to beat the shit out of my girlfriend. I use the defence "fuck you, I'm a big manly man" and proceed to take a shit on the bench. That means I win?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFisty View Post
Quotas are totally a thing.
See above.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
ermax (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 11:54 PM   #31
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
So one day I decide to beat the shit out of my girlfriend. I use the defence "fuck you, I'm a big manly man" and proceed to take a shit on the bench. That means I win?
If that doesn't work, then threaten him after he gets done with the day, you'll be waiting outside the courthouse for him. 60% of the time, it works every time.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:13 AM   #32
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Here in Florida there is a very well known speed trap in a town called Waldo. They were known for having quotas. Their entire department was shut down because of this and a new bill was introduced named the Waldo bill which has all kinds of rules to prevent quotas. Departments have to be audited quarterly if I recall and only a certain percentage of their revenue can come from traffic citations. I also have friends who are cops who say the quota thing is BS. At least in my home town. I’m sure there are shady back woods towns that push quotas. But I think for the most part it’s not really a thing.

Not putting a front tag on your car because you don’t like them is silly. You don’t get to pick and choose the laws you want to follow. I would hate to see someone with this mentality raise kids of their own.

You were speeding on a “residential road”. That is about the worst place to speed. I throw shit at cars that go flying down my street while my kids are playing outside. Or jump on my bike and track them down and knock on their front door and ask for their daddy.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Tristor (02-26-2018), winstonscifi (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 01:08 AM   #33
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
It sounds as if the officer is giving you a break. The front plate fine is almost as much as your speeding ticket.
Missing front plate is a fix it ticket and cost $25 and adds no points. I got one recently and got it signed off then removed it. No big deal. They probably noticed it was missing and didn't care because it really is a law that is rarely enforced and tons of people don't have them. I met a cop (when I got my ticket signed off) who told me they don't have front plates on their cars either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Not putting a front tag on your car because you don’t like them is silly. You don’t get to pick and choose the laws you want to follow. I would hate to see someone with this mentality raise kids of their own.

You were speeding on a “residential road”. That is about the worst place to speed. I throw shit at cars that go flying down my street while my kids are playing outside. Or jump on my bike and track them down and knock on their front door and ask for their daddy.
Chill buddy I was going 8mph over the limit if even that and it was going down hill not even near houses, so calm down. I'm sure you have never creeped slightly over the limit in a residential zone by mistake.

Not sure if you ever saw how good the 86/BRZ looks without a front tag but its beautiful and I choose to not have it. If it was a bigger fine or more severe violation I would keep it but it isn't so no big deal, so get off your morality high horse.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
Tristor (02-26-2018)
Old 11-29-2017, 01:54 AM   #34
Subsonic

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
These sort of discussions really irk me because I think it summarises everything that shits me about kids today. It’s the argument that everything that happens to me that’s bad is not my fault. It’s the lady driving the corolla in front of me. It’s the a-hole police officer. It’s that the sun was in my eyes or the downhill slope of the road.

Let me give it to you straight. You were exceeding the speed limit. You were caught. The cop didn’t rough you up or impound your car, he handed you a small fine and expected you to pay it. That’s it.

Let me relate a short back-in-the-day story about my own experience with cops a few years back, humfrz style:

I’d just bought a new bike and drove over a few suburbs to pick it up. I borrowed a bike rack from a friend and threw the bike and rack on the car. I knew at the time that I was obscuring my rear licence plate with the bike, but thought that it wasn’t a long drive home, and the chances that a cop would care about a middle aged man driving a 2010 Mazda 6 wagon with an obscured licence plate was slim. Wouldn’t you know it, I pulled into a service station to fill up and a cop car pulled in after me. He stepped out of his car and had a nice discussion with me about the bike and the obscured plate. We were both really cordial to each other and I thought he got into his car to leave. After I spent some time adjusting the position of the bike so the plate could be seen better he came back up to me holding a ticket for the infringement! He said no other words and jumped straight back into his car and sped off. Left holding the ticket, I couldn’t believe it. How wronged I was!

My friends all said I should fight the fine in court. He pulled me over in private property, not on a public road. My licence plate was not really obscured as it could be seen well enough. The fine was too high for the seriousness of the infringement. Those kinds of arguments. What did I do? I paid the damn fine. Not happily, it was about $400 from memory, but I paid it anyway. I knowingly broke the law and got caught doing it.

Paying the fine was just sooo much easier than the alternative. No way would I spend half a day fighting for $400, and for a cause that was my fault anyway. There are so many better things I could be doing with my time. I’ve never obscured my plate since.

I also speed around town fairly often, knowing that I might find a cop around the next bend. If that happens it will be fair enough also. If I ever get so many fines that I risk losing my licence, of course I will change my driving habits, but I would never blame a cop for catching me doing what I know is illegal, even if it’s just a little bit over.

Hope the above makes sense. Good luck with it whatever you decide to do.
Subsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Subsonic For This Useful Post:
Celica00 (11-29-2017), Cole (11-29-2017), humfrz (11-29-2017), MuseChaser (11-29-2017), Tristor (02-26-2018), winstonscifi (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 02:05 AM   #35
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,877 Times in 16,444 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
Let me relate a short back-in-the-day story about my own experience with cops a few years back, humfrz style:.............

Good story teller .........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:00 AM   #36
winstonscifi

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Red Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
You sir are wrong.

How am I a chicken shit a hole?

I was barely speeding, and I dislike front licence plates so I don't use em. So that makes me an A hole? I will pay my fine but not after I fight it.

Are you a cop? Is that why your so defensive?

A normal residential street going down hill, cops where at the bottom of the hill and couldn't even see me behind the big sedan in front, they just assumed I was speeding.
It's your right to fight your ticket. I'm wondering how you're going to fight it though. Are you going to get up in court and tell the judge that "everyone knows this is a chickenshit ticket - the cops are lazy a holes - they're just trying to get their quotas - plus, it's my right to not use a front license plate - also, I have a fancy sports car, so it's my right to disregard the speed limit. I ask you to dismiss this ticket!"

Good luck with that argument. Oh, and by the way, I am not a cop. I am, however a professional driver with more that 28 years of experience (without a ticket or accident). You asked for advice in your posting - so I gave it. Quit your whining and pay the ticket.
winstonscifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to winstonscifi For This Useful Post:
Cole (11-29-2017), MuseChaser (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 04:57 AM   #37
Celica00

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Get a dashcam. There are brands out there that have real-time gps. They can track location, speed, direction, time stamped to the second, etc. If you are truly wronged by the police, use your evidence in court.

But if you actually broke the law, just pay the fine and move on with your life.

Trust me, at one point I had rap sheet of 14 incidents within a 2 year period that my insurance loved to send me every 6 months as a nice reminder of why I had to pay an arm and a leg to use them. Some of those incidents were absolute bullshit and the cops knew it. But the rest were me being dumb.

But the effort, anger, time to fight the bullshit just wasn't worth it. After a mental paradigm shift, I can happily say my record is clean and my rate is cheap.
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Celica00 For This Useful Post:
Cole (11-29-2017), Tristor (02-26-2018), winstonscifi (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 06:43 AM   #38
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Missing front plate is a fix it ticket and cost $25 and adds no points. I got one recently and got it signed off then removed it. No big deal. They probably noticed it was missing and didn't care because it really is a law that is rarely enforced and tons of people don't have them. I met a cop (when I got my ticket signed off) who told me they don't have front plates on their cars either.

Chill buddy I was going 8mph over the limit if even that and it was going down hill not even near houses, so calm down. I'm sure you have never creeped slightly over the limit in a residential zone by mistake.

Not sure if you ever saw how good the 86/BRZ looks without a front tag but its beautiful and I choose to not have it. If it was a bigger fine or more severe violation I would keep it but it isn't so no big deal, so get off your morality high horse.

Residential roads are typically 30mph. 30mph down a road with kids running around is too fast as it is. 38mph is way too fast. 43 which is probably what you were really doing would definitely be enough to have me knocking on your door asking for daddy.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
winstonscifi (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #39
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I think your fortunate that you just got away with just a speeding ticket. If you are going down a hill and could not see them...your wayyyyy to close to the person in front of you. That is violation #1 he could of nicked you on and did not. Violation #2 he could of nicked you on. No front plate. You say its a $25 fix it ticket you can go and get signed off on. Sure this works once but now its in your file that you had a fix it ticket. You supposedly fixed it but now its not on the car again so whats your response then at that point when questioned under oath about why its no longer on your car? Oh I took it back off? Well then your going to get hit with a ticket for no front plate on top of the speeding ticket as well as losing any of the little credibility you had left after admitting here that you were indeed speeding. So as far as I see it they let you off pretty light considering how hard they could of nailed you

That said I agree the speed they got you for is pretty low in scheme of things provided you were going the 8 over you claim you were and not the 13 over that the person you were tail gating was going.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
Cole (11-29-2017), winstonscifi (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 12:26 PM   #40
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't know about that. Since I have to pay the fine before the court session there is nothing to loose by fighting it. Worse case scenario I don't get my money back and attend traffic school. In Ca at least in the past traffic court visits I've seen all cases with the officer failing to appear award favor to the defendant. Although it was rare to see the officer not present. This was years ago though so we'll see.

My first strategy was during the stop, try and be as least memorable as possible don't chat or anying just say sorry sir and accept the ticket which I did. Next I will postpone my court date as long as I possibly can in hopes the officer forgets or looses his paper work and cannot recall the ticket. Then show up to court, and depending on the judge and how their acting and mood I will either state my case that I was not speeding or say nothing. That's the best strategy I have, any other suggestions folks may have are welcome.

I understand my strategy likely won't work but any chance to save $280-$300 and save my once in 2 years traffic school use is worth it. Plus an excuse to take the day off from work.

1) Perjury is illegal. Don't do that
2) Technically in CA if you plead not guilty the ticket the judge does not have to offer traffic school to you if they find you guilty. Rare, but it is not a complete no loss option when you fight it.

The best results I have seen from people is to plead guilty and ask for a reduction in fine and traffic school.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Allch Chcar (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 12:48 PM   #41
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You guys don't have this in the States?

krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Cole (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 12:52 PM   #42
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,988 Times in 2,200 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Los Banos

Nerts to all you other dusty central valley shitholes!
We've got TWO outhouses!

Last edited by bcj; 11-29-2017 at 04:30 PM.
bcj is offline   Reply With Quote