follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #435
Narcoden

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzer View Post
Got to get it working first!
@2forme did you get a manual for your TUN21A that you could scan and email to me if I PM you my email address?

I figure it would be similar to the T7019A one and want to get a guy on installing it this week. Figure the manual might be some assistence.
Here is a copy of the manual I have:
Knock-Off Android Manual
Narcoden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Narcoden For This Useful Post:
jonzhuxD (06-07-2013), nzer (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #436
Jeff86

Drives: 86 (FR-S)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Unpacked the T7019A just now. Looks good to my untrained eye.

Package had lots of bits and pieces in it. Photos below.

No user manual though so have emailed them and hope there's a pdf copy in english!
Really excited to see how this goes and would love to know if it cleanly fits the 200mm space. I simply won't go any other way on fitment.

I've been lurking this thread a long time and just want to thank @2forme for all his badassness. If I could get a rooted HU with oem-like dash fitment I'd be oh so happy.
Jeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff86 For This Useful Post:
2forme (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #437
Dispect
Newbie Car Enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ok guys. im about to do this mod.
just to make sure, these are all the things ill need to do this mod right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metra-40-LX1...dec518&vxp=mtr

http://www.carid.com/2013-scion-fr-s...t-4479465.html

http://www.carid.com/2013-scion-fr-s...s-4732314.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-6-2-...50942959362%26

can anyone tell me if im missing anything? thanks
Dispect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #438
Narcoden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispect View Post
ok guys. im about to do this mod.
just to make sure, these are all the things ill need to do this mod right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metra-40-LX1...dec518&vxp=mtr

http://www.carid.com/2013-scion-fr-s...t-4479465.html

http://www.carid.com/2013-scion-fr-s...s-4732314.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-6-2-...50942959362%26

can anyone tell me if im missing anything? thanks
Looks good to me for getting just the radio installed. Are you going to run Torque as well?

If so, you need a bluetooth adapter and the ELM327 adapter as well.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LY58QQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Bluetooth adapter[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007P14NPU/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]OBD2 adapter[/ame]

Edit: and a usb hub to plug all this stuff into. I have a "cables-to-go" hub that I had laying around at work that I used.

I have this one:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/CABLES-4-port-cable-USBa-USBb/dp/B005ESNKQO/ref=sr_1_26?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1366994544&sr=1-26&keywords=Cables+To+Go+usb+hub"]USB Hub[/ame]

One more edit:
Buy one of these to keep the factory USB port alive. Just connect it into your hub and you won't have to chop any wiring up to use the existing USB port in your car.
Factory USB adapter

Last edited by Narcoden; 04-26-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: adding info
The Following User Says Thank You to Narcoden For This Useful Post:
Dispect (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #439
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
@Narcoden since you are online I take @2forme's point about the easy install of mine but this is new to me so I was getting a guy to do it for me but as you know I want to test.

Seems to do this (please advise if I am correct) I simply pull the trim around the OEM head unit off by hand and undo four nuts that should be easily accessible from the front. After that the unit should slide out. Unplug stuff from back and put power plug part of the harness into back of my unit. That should be enough to get power to test?

Is there enough "play" in the wiring to easy plug the stuff back into the original unit afterwards?

If it is as easy as this I can have a play over the weekend rather than waiting for the installer.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #440
nzer

@Narcoden further to the above looks to me from this post that i need to remove more of the dash trims but should pull off easily. does the bezel just pull off as well. Dont want to break anything that i might need to put back!
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=183
Old 04-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #441
Narcoden

Quote:
@Narcoden since you are online I take @2forme's point about the easy install of mine but this is new to me so I was getting a guy to do it for me but as you know I want to test.

Seems to do this (please advise if I am correct) I simply pull the trim around the OEM head unit off by hand and undo four nuts that should be easily accessible from the front. After that the unit should slide out. Unplug stuff from back and put power plug part of the harness into back of my unit. That should be enough to get power to test?

Is there enough "play" in the wiring to easy plug the stuff back into the original unit afterwards?

If it is as easy as this I can have a play over the weekend rather than waiting for the installer.
Looking at your pictures, once you have the old radio out, your connectors are already wired up to just plug in. By playing with it using that car harness, you are literally already going to have it installed :happy0180:

The wires are long enough to plug the factory radio back in if you choose. It's going to be super simple for you. You don't have any wires/harness to solder up. All the work has been done for you looking at your pictures.

And you have it right, the trim comes straight off. I use a plastic trim tool to get some leverage but I have pulled it off without the use of tools before. And then you have four 10mm nuts to remove and the factory radio comes off. Then transfer the mounting brackets from the factory radio to your new radio (8mm nuts)

Super easy man, you can do it! I have faith in you!
Old 04-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #442
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcoden View Post
Looking at your pictures, once you have the old radio out, your connectors are already wired up to just plug in. By playing with it using that car harness, you are literally already going to have it installed :happy0180:

The wires are long enough to plug the factory radio back in if you choose. It's going to be super simple for you. You don't have any wires/harness to solder up. All the work has been done for you looking at your pictures.

And you have it right, the trim comes straight off. I use a plastic trim tool to get some leverage but I have pulled it off without the use of tools before. And then you have four 10mm nuts to remove and the factory radio comes off. Then transfer the mounting brackets from the factory radio to your new radio (8mm nuts)

Super easy man, you can do it! I have faith in you!
Thanks mate. Does the bezel come off by just a tug too?

@Narcoden you have more faith in me than I do. I like to try this stuff but simple stuff like this I always seem to stuff up and then I get super angry with myself for being such a clutz.

Being an office worker I get so frustrated I can't do this simple sh*t easily. BUT, I have got all the gear to do my own oil change soon - that's a big step for me LOL.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #443
Narcoden

Quote:
Thanks mate. Does the bezel come off by just a tug too?

@Narcoden you have more faith in me than I do. I like to try this stuff but simple stuff like this I always seem to stuff up and then I get super angry with myself for being such a clutz.

Being an office worker I get so frustrated I can't do this simple sh*t easily. BUT, I have got all the gear to do my own oil change soon - that's a big step for me LOL.
Yep, bezel just comes straight off. It's held in place with some tabs and nothing but pressure. Just pull/pry it out slowly and your good. There are four tabs and they are in the corners of the bezel.

Then as you pull a wire from the factory radio, you will find a matching part on your new wire harness to plug it into. They only go in one way, you can't get it wrong
Old 04-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #444
nzer

Quote:
Yep, bezel just comes straight off. It's held in place with some tabs and nothing but pressure. Just pull/pry it out slowly and your good. There are four tabs and they are in the corners of the bezel.

Then as you pull a wire from the factory radio, you will find a matching part on your new wire harness to plug it into. They only go in one way, you can't get it wrong
Thanks again @Narcoden you have given me the confidence to give it a go. Just hope I don't brick it trying to root it.

Better go get a bit more sleep. It's 5.40am here on Saturday morning. We are about the farthest time you can be ahead in the world. It's gonna be a big and successful day - I can feel it!!! :happy0180:

Old 04-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #445
ph0en1xtk

Drives: Raven MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Looks good to me for getting just the radio installed. Are you going to run Torque as well?

If so, you need a bluetooth adapter and the ELM327 adapter as well.

Bluetooth adapter

OBD2 adapter

Edit: and a usb hub to plug all this stuff into. I have a "cables-to-go" hub that I had laying around at work that I used.

I have this one:
USB Hub

One more edit:
Buy one of these to keep the factory USB port alive. Just connect it into your hub and you won't have to chop any wiring up to use the existing USB port in your car.
Factory USB adapter

Have you had any issues with the USB hub that youre using? I bought a 4 in 1 hub at frys and when i had my bluetooth adapter, the wifi adapter and my cell phone charger plugged into it, my phone would say that it wasnt getting enough power to charge from the hub.

Im really only planning on having my bluetooth and wifi plugged into it, but with the "factory usb adapter" you posted, id have to plug that into it also right? Id be concerned that it would have the same problem as before.

Maybe the hub youre using is better than mine? I did only spend 10$ on the one i got lol
ph0en1xtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #446
Narcoden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0en1xtk View Post
Have you had any issues with the USB hub that youre using? I bought a 4 in 1 hub at frys and when i had my bluetooth adapter, the wifi adapter and my cell phone charger plugged into it, my phone would say that it wasnt getting enough power to charge from the hub.

Im really only planning on having my bluetooth and wifi plugged into it, but with the "factory usb adapter" you posted, id have to plug that into it also right? Id be concerned that it would have the same problem as before.

Maybe the hub youre using is better than mine? I did only spend 10$ on the one i got lol
Every thing works together... Posting from my phone that is charging. Torque running, bt adapter, phone is hotspot for the wifi...

Sent from my Nexus 4
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #447
ph0en1xtk

Drives: Raven MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
That is beautiful. I guess i know what im gonna be buying when i get out of work!

That oem usb adapter you posted. do you usually have that in the third port of that hub?

And one last thing. I was playing with my EQ settings some more, and i realized that im not getting any sound out of the door speakers. I dont remember having this problem with my first unit, and i dont recall changing any wires around. the dash speakers and the rears work (although the rears sound VERY quiet even when i put the balance all the way to the back) but the doors dont come on. Anyone else have the same issue?
ph0en1xtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #448
Narcoden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0en1xtk View Post

That oem usb adapter you posted. do you usually have that in the third port of that hub?
How you see it is how I have it. I don't think it matters what port you use. I didn't put any thought into it, I just plugged stuff into any open port.

Sent from my Nexus 4