follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why was my thread closed?

I spent the time to post something that took a while to make (that other forums enjoyed btw) (see Scientific Guide to Douchebags of the Road) ,and its closed without warning...nice.

If it was closed because of the banter between a couple of members, try telling people to take it to pm's first before shutting a thread down.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
Ryuu0u
(=^・ェ・^=)

Drives: 2013 FRS, '08 GSXR 600
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If you already have a feeling of why it was closed then why open another asking?

IBTL
Ryuu0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
Lonewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu0u View Post
If you already have a feeling of why it was closed then why open another asking?

IBTL
I'd rather not speculate as to why something was closed when no reason or warning was given. I would rather have an answer, hence my post here.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
iamyau

Drives: Toyota 4Runner
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Seems like it was closed before things got further out of hand between members here. Even if mods were to say take it to the PMs or what not, it might not change the tone of other members posts. Jokingly or not. I think its probably better if you PMed the mods for an answer.

Just my 0.02¢.
Attached Images

iamyau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
It is pretty obvious why your thread was locked. And need not an explanation of why such events have occured. But a tip regarding your closed thread.

Yes you took the time to post, but by posting something like that in an open forum, its direction is pretty obvious and leads down a path that turns your thread into garbage. Instead of pruning comments and obvious troll posts from your thread, It would be more effective to just lock the thread. We are a new forum, and we want to keep it as clean as possible for as long as possible. Other big forums have been around for a long time and tollerance for lulzthreads has increased. But lets not try to mix up this community as the same breed as the rest.

Nothing against you. The nature of the thread that would have been locked eventually anyway.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
Lonewolf

A reason for the lock within the thread would have been sufficient to alleviate any questions that I had. Since you are so concerned with running this forum professionally, it is customary to provide a reason as to why a thread was closed without warning.

Further, the "Hella flush done right" thread seems just as inflammatory and that remains open...consistency is a virtue.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
BoostJunkie
RaggedEdge Autosports

Drives: 97 APU Supra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Honestly, I think only senior members or at least a certain number of posts should be required before a member is allowed to make a thread, it would help cut down on the troll threads and or dup threads that after awhile will over run and be 50% of the started threads Eventually anyway

My .02¢

BoostJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
Zgrinch

Drives: 2013 Limited DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Lone wolf,

I wanted to personally apologize to you for being one of the contributing members which caused your thread to be locked. You did put in time and effort to create that thread, and I ruined that by letting my temper get the best of me.

BRZGrincherhood
Zgrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
A reason for the lock within the thread would have been sufficient to alleviate any questions that I had. Since you are so concerned with running this forum professionally, it is customary to provide a reason as to why a thread was closed without warning.

Further, the "Hella flush done right" thread seems just as inflammatory and that remains open...consistency is a virtue.
The dynamic of the Hella flush thread is different and cannot be compared to to your thread.

"Hella flush" started as a legitimate inquiry and could have stayed clean or been poisoned by trollin which would have been locked (a prunable thread). Your thread started as a statement of types of drivers that are listed as douche bags and would have not stayed clean as a debatable thread.

Running this forum is just trying to keep it clean for the community, not necessarily keeping it professional. We really do not need to explain ourselves for how we run this site.

You can make Lulz threads...not troll threads, keep it clean, and it wont be locked. Simple. Just use your best judgement. I'm pretty lenient in how far a thread goes, only cuz im so desensitized by lurking 4chan for so long..
Old 02-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
Lonewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zgrinch View Post
Lone wolf,

I wanted to personally apologize to you for being one of the contributing members which caused your thread to be locked. You did put in time and effort to create that thread, and I ruined that by I let my temper get the best of me.
Thank you, I really appreciate that.

I was simply trying to provide some lulz for the community and it turned into all of this nonsense.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
The dynamic of the Hella flush thread is different and cannot be compared to to your thread.

"Hella flush" started as a legitimate inquiry and could have stayed clean or been poisoned by trollin which would have been locked (a prunable thread). Your thread started as a statement of types of drivers that are listed as douche bags and would have not stayed clean as a debatable thread.

Running this forum is just trying to keep it clean for the community, not necessarily keeping it professional. We really do not need to explain ourselves for how we run this site.

You can make Lulz threads...not troll threads, keep it clean, and it wont be locked. Simple. Just use your best judgement. I'm pretty lenient in how far a thread goes, only cuz im so desensitized by lurking 4chan for so long..
No offense, but this type of attitude can turn some people off to the site almost as much as trolls and useless threads. A post by the moderator at the end of a thread they close with a quick explanation of why would probably prevent future threads like this. I'm not saying we need all the intimate details of all the moderating decisions, but as with any form of governance, a bit of transparency is usually beneficial to keeping order.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
No offense, but this type of attitude can turn some people off to the site almost as much as trolls and useless threads. A post by the moderator at the end of a thread they close with a quick explanation of why would probably prevent future threads like this. I'm not saying we need all the intimate details of all the moderating decisions, but as with any form of governance, a bit of transparency is usually beneficial to keeping order.
Your absolutely right! But the thing is, As a moderator I have to take on several rolls to ensure that the site runs smoothly. Many believe that being a mod is easy, but being a good mod is actually very difficult. I can't always act like a mother and baby members by educating them. In some threads Iv moderated, I will locked with a legitimate explanation and is usually due to members getting out of hand..which is easy and appropriate. However other threads are just asking to be locked and really doesn't need me to say anything at all or explain anything to anyone of why we did what we did.

Asking for a bit of transparency isn't a bad thing, among the members that know me here.. I will usually end up with lul pics before I lock a thread instating that the thread has gone on long enough. But doing the same for 15-30 locked troll threads a week is counter-productive. And threads that blatantly disregard T.O.U. (USUALLY) require no explanation.

unfortunately not all moods are created equal. and some are less tollerant of a bit of lulz.

Only thing I ask for members is have a good time, but don't make it so you need policing.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
Hachiroku
Administrator

Drives: Boxster 986
Thanked 1,977 Times in 344 Posts
Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
It is pretty obvious why your thread was locked. And need not an explanation of why such events have occured. But a tip regarding your closed thread.

Yes you took the time to post, but by posting something like that in an open forum, its direction is pretty obvious and leads down a path that turns your thread into garbage. Instead of pruning comments and obvious troll posts from your thread, It would be more effective to just lock the thread. We are a new forum, and we want to keep it as clean as possible for as long as possible. Other big forums have been around for a long time and tollerance for lulzthreads has increased. But lets not try to mix up this community as the same breed as the rest.

Nothing against you. The nature of the thread that would have been locked eventually anyway.
++++1

I was the one that closed the thread. Sorry if there was no explanation left, but I thought it was fairly self explanatory given the turn the thread had taken and the subject matter.
Hachiroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #14
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA