follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2017, 04:16 AM   #1
matchamochi

Drives: swp brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Recommend HPDE class/skidpad/driving school/autox?

Hi,

I'd like to start taking some technical classes that allow me to do skid-pad practice or something akin to the description of BMWCCA car control clinics. I spend A LOT of time on 9, but I feel like I'm approaching the limits of how hard I shoulda be responsibly pushing it on public roads.

I'm located in South Bay.

I'm totally open to suggestion.
matchamochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
TofuJoe
Ohne Titel

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP ISM
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Do a track day with NCRC or Hooked On Driving and get an instructor. Another option is the Simraceway program at Sonoma: https://simracewaydrivingschool.com/...iving-courses/
TofuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
+1 to HOD and I've heard good things about NCRC for track time.

It's a shame there aren't more opportunities to learn, but I believe there are more than ever. SCCA Starting Line school won't be back until next Spring (the package comes with a Track Night event as well, good bang for your buck), but BMW club has a car control clinic in late October down at Marina.

EVO School will also be in town later this fall but it's more competitive autox focused to my understanding and a pricetag rivaling that of a track day.

In the meantime you can hit up some regular autox events to get your jollies off and keep it mellow on public roads (works for me). I'd suggest Lotus Club for a laid back environment and I believe they'll have someone available to coach you. Registration for the 9th should open up any day now and I'll be signing up for some seat time. BMW club is also good for newbies, but requires you to join the club and sells out in like an hour. AAS and SCCA put on good events, but less newbie friendly and more competition oriented imo.

Here's every autox happening in this half the state, Marina, Crow's Landing, and Alameda are the autox sites closest (although Alameda is primarily Porsche Club and I've heard some mixed reviews if you don't have a P-car)

http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.p...art=0&rid=3270

If you do hit up an autox, when you're just standing around do your best to get a ride along with someone who looks like they know what they're doing, it's eye opening and one of the fastest ways to learn (and don't be concerned about what the car is, if they're putting up good times there's probably something to learn). The other trick is having someone fast drive your car, you'll be amazed how much you were holding the car back.

Last edited by strat61caster; 08-25-2017 at 01:50 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
FirstWinter (08-26-2017), matchamochi (08-25-2017), WRBrzRX (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 02:14 PM   #4
matchamochi

Drives: swp brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
+1 to HOD and I've heard good things about NCRC for track time.

It's a shame there aren't more opportunities to learn, but I believe there are more than ever. SCCA Starting Line school won't be back until next Spring (the package comes with a Track Night event as well, good bang for your buck), but BMW club has a car control clinic in late October down at Marina.

EVO School will also be in town later this fall but it's more competitive autox focused to my understanding and a pricetag rivaling that of a track day.

In the meantime you can hit up some regular autox events to get your jollies off and keep it mellow on public roads (works for me). I'd suggest Lotus Club for a laid back environment and I believe they'll have someone available to coach you. Registration for the 9th should open up any day now and I'll be signing up for some seat time. BMW club is also good for newbies, but requires you to join the club and sells out in like an hour. AAS and SCCA put on good events, but less newbie friendly and more competition oriented imo.

Here's every autox happening in this half the state, Marina, Crow's Landing, and Alameda are the autox sites closest (although Alameda is primarily Porsche Club and I've heard some mixed reviews if you don't have a P-car)

http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.p...art=0&rid=3270

If you do hit up an autox, when you're just standing around do your best to get a ride along with someone who looks like they know what they're doing, it's eye opening and one of the fastest ways to learn (and don't be concerned about what the car is, if they're putting up good times there's probably something to learn). The other trick is having someone fast drive your car, you'll be amazed how much you were holding the car back.

Thanks guys - this is exactly what I was looking for. The reason I didn't go with BMWCCA was the fee for the club (wasn't sure if it was worth it esp since I don't have a bmw lol) and I have also heard mixed things about PCA.
matchamochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:58 PM   #5
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchamochi View Post
Thanks guys - this is exactly what I was looking for. The reason I didn't go with BMWCCA was the fee for the club (wasn't sure if it was worth it esp since I don't have a bmw lol) and I have also heard mixed things about PCA.
Ah shit I forgot they require membership for the car controls too, haven't been so can't say if it's worth it first hand. The membership would be worth it if you can make 3-4+ autox events over the next year imo, then you're distributing the ~$50 membership over a few events which makes it competitive to running Lotus Club as a non-member and picking up an SCCA membership.

But this upcoming BMW autox sold out in <1 hour, I signed up 1.5 hours after opening and was 22nd-24th on the waiting list iirc. Which is now up to 36...

Lotus Club for the 9th is open for registration now, but doesn't sell out as hardcore (sometimes not at all), you can read all their stuff tonight/this weekend and decide if you want to sign up.

September is light due to Nationals, people take a few weeks off after the long haul. And we're lucky we autox into December and really only take off Jan and there's HPDE year round.

I've been all into autox but track days are fantastic too and Hooked on Driving offers a really newbie friendly environment and top notch coaches every time.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
matchamochi (08-27-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 09:49 AM   #6
Mchilese

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Is Bondourant (sp?) an option anymore? I heard they were going bankrupt and selling off cars, though.

I have two more things I need to take care of on my own car, then I'm doing a session with HOD.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk