follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

User Tag List

Old 07-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #267
00NissanNinja
The Thread Lurker

Drives: '14 BRZ, '17 GTI, MT09
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colmusstard View Post
Hey guys I just got a 10 Series FRS and I'm looking for somewhere to actually put it to use. I'm having a lot of trouble finding somewhere to take it. I see there is autocross at Kilkare occasionally but I was hoping for more
Check out MVSCC they have autocross at KillKare and Willmington Air Park. I attend their events. http://www.mvscc.com/

There is going to be an event next Sunday the 19th. Would love to have some more 86s in the mix.

Pretty good group of people. I believe SCCA also has some events at Willmington as well. I wish Mid Ohio wasn't so expensive would love to do some track days.
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:25 PM   #268
YoungFlight
Broham

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Yea, I'm looking for somewhere to take it. Track is ideal but Mid-Ohio doesn't seem to have many track days
join the ohio 86 facebook page if you haven't already. I think it is a lot more active than this thread
YoungFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YoungFlight For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (08-05-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 09:16 PM   #269
colmusstard

Drives: 2013 10 Series FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungFlight View Post
join the ohio 86 facebook page if you haven't already. I think it is a lot more active than this thread
Thanks, I'll look into that. Also, is it you that I've seen around Beavercreek a few times?
colmusstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #270
YoungFlight
Broham

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series
Quote:
Thanks, I'll look into that. Also, is it you that I've seen around Beavercreek a few times?
Thats probably me i live right near the golf course. Im always driving over there
YoungFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:10 PM   #271
Jeff D

Drives: 2013 BRZ - Galaxy Blue
Quote:
Yea, I'm looking for somewhere to take it. Track is ideal but Mid-Ohio doesn't seem to have many track days
Take a look at Putnam Park as well...........

http://putnampark.com/

NASA hasn't gone here in a few years but I'm sure they still have club/track days you could attend. Similar in travel/distance to Mid-Ohio from where you are at. IMHO, Putnam is a bit more beginner friendly (not as many hard concrete things to hit as Mid-Ohio). Track surface is more abrasive though so tire wear is more excessive.

If you do find a group that does a weekend event @ Putnam (similar to what NASA does) just be aware they don't allow camping there. Only mentioning it because in all my years w/NASA I haven't seen another track that makes everyone clear out (during a Sat/Sun event) around 6-7pm Saturday (cars, equipment, etc. can stay...just not you) and locks the place up until the next morning. Track is fun/challenging though.

Slightly more of a drive is NelsonLedges............

http://www.nelsonledges.com/

https://www.facebook.com/nelsonledgesracecomplex/

Many years since I've been here but they use to do Friday track days for around $100. Best thing I can tell you about Nelson is (if you go there) never go off-track. Unless they've done some major landscaping the grass areas are a challenge for a 4x4 and death to just about anything else. Putnam's off-track areas are a putting green by comparison.

Far as Mid-Ohio goes NASA is usually there three times a year - April, June/July, and October. I'd recommend the summer event as weather on the early/late dates can be unpredictable, which I guess is true 99.9% of the time in Ohio anyways.

........and I'm a new BRZ owner as of July this year. Plan on getting it to the track at some point but since I'm normally racing (Spec Miata not BRZ's) that might not be for awhile.

Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:55 PM   #272
kosoku

Drives: 2013 fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I hadn't been to Putnam since 2010 with NASA but went this past summer with 10/10ths. The track was so much better than I remember!!

Still don't let you camp though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post
Take a look at Putnam Park as well...........

http://putnampark.com/

NASA hasn't gone here in a few years but I'm sure they still have club/track days you could attend. Similar in travel/distance to Mid-Ohio from where you are at. IMHO, Putnam is a bit more beginner friendly (not as many hard concrete things to hit as Mid-Ohio). Track surface is more abrasive though so tire wear is more excessive.

If you do find a group that does a weekend event @ Putnam (similar to what NASA does) just be aware they don't allow camping there. Only mentioning it because in all my years w/NASA I haven't seen another track that makes everyone clear out (during a Sat/Sun event) around 6-7pm Saturday (cars, equipment, etc. can stay...just not you) and locks the place up until the next morning. Track is fun/challenging though.

Slightly more of a drive is NelsonLedges............

http://www.nelsonledges.com/

https://www.facebook.com/nelsonledgesracecomplex/

Many years since I've been here but they use to do Friday track days for around $100. Best thing I can tell you about Nelson is (if you go there) never go off-track. Unless they've done some major landscaping the grass areas are a challenge for a 4x4 and death to just about anything else. Putnam's off-track areas are a putting green by comparison.

Far as Mid-Ohio goes NASA is usually there three times a year - April, June/July, and October. I'd recommend the summer event as weather on the early/late dates can be unpredictable, which I guess is true 99.9% of the time in Ohio anyways.

........and I'm a new BRZ owner as of July this year. Plan on getting it to the track at some point but since I'm normally racing (Spec Miata not BRZ's) that might not be for awhile.

Jeff
Old 11-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #273
Jeff D

Drives: 2013 BRZ - Galaxy Blue
FYI, NASA just posted their 2016 schedule.............

March 12-13 NCM - National Corvette Museum
April 9-10 Gateway
April 23-24 Mid-Ohio
May 21-22 Road America
June 25-26 GingerMan
July 9-10 Autobahn Country Club
August 6-7 GingerMan
August 27-28 Mid-Ohio
September 24-25 Watkins Glen - East Region Championships
October 22-23 NCM

General comments below;
- I've not been to NCM yet......that's the new track @ the Corvette Museum.
- Gateway is a roval (road course oval - it's the old NASCAR track near St. Louis) - these are fun but the transition from the racing surface to the infield sections can be a real challenge.
- Gingerman & Autobahn are similar to Putnam (club/test tracks). NASA normally uses the south course @ Autobahn.
**In my earlier post I'd mentioned Putnam as more beginner friendly. Perhaps I should've said "street car friendly"? I certainly don't want to assume anyone here is a beginner/amateur.
- The others are what I'd call Pro-tracks (seen on TV, hosting major events). Apparently the NAStyCAR guys hijacked our summer June/July Mid-Ohio date. Road America is probably the farthest away for us but well worth the trip if you've never been there. IMHO, a brake pad upgrade (for anyone tracking their car) is a must, but I'd magnify that x4 @ RA.
**NASA's Road America date has been in August the past few years (I guess the Indy car guys jacked that date). In the past we've been there earlier and later in the year and had to deal with snow and fog that was so bad they had to shut the track down for brief periods. Not sure about Wisconsin weather in May but figured I'd mention it.
....and I've never been to Watkins Glen. Since that is the NASA championships I don't believe there is a HPDE program included w/racing that weekend.

Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:52 PM   #274
DerHauptDigga

Drives: 2016 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just saying whats up. Order my 2016 FRS in July, should be here by december (hopefully). Been a creeper on the forums for a while...

Edit: I live in the Mason, OH area.
DerHauptDigga is offline   Reply With Quote