follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-05-2012, 01:57 AM   #15
FreshFRS
KCCO From Canada

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashsnazzy View Post
Wheelhaus, I am looking at the DEH80PRS or DEX-P99RS . Can you share photos of the install? Can you demonstrate how you built the kit?

Has anyone used the BKTOYK996 kit yet? If so can you please post photos?
go with the DEX they are amazing, but expensive.
FreshFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #16
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Here's the trim kit I fabricated. The two OEM side brackets hold everything in place, so the head unit can stay put without the trim ring, and vice versa. The aluminum plate mounts by itself to the OEM brackets, and holds the carbon plate around the head unit.

It consists of a piece of aluminum (2024-T3) and a 4-ply carbon fiber plate. The carbon was laid up without vacuum on a sheet of clear Mylar to give it a glossy finish. I wanted to clear coat it, but got impatient. The aluminum was bent with the outer flanges outer measurement exactly at 7 inches wide. The initial bends left the piece too wide, so I added the hump in the center to pull the ends together, it serves no other purpose. I located the aluminum bracket on the face plate and used a high grade epoxy paste adhesive (way overkill).

The original design (out of the car) shows the plate trimmed only large enough for the face plate to protrude. I still wanted a more finished look, so I opened the hole a bit larger and notched it out where the Pioneer trim plate clips needed to fit (this is how it looks in the in-car pic at the bottom). I don't have any pics of the notches, but you get the idea.

I work in the composites shop of an aviation company so many of these material scraps were handy, but they can just as easily be purchased on the open market. The carbon plate can be substituted for literally anything flat and rigid, even a piece of fancy wood, plastic, stainless steel, stitched leather bonded to something, whatever...

BTW I love this head unit! the auto TA and EQ work exceptionally well. The TA can be centered or flipped via the "Position" menu, so your passenger can get the full effect. With the 9887 I always hated that I couldn't easily center or reverse the time alignment for my passenger, so they'd just have to take my word for it that it sounded good, while it sounded terrible to them. With the 80PRS, the subs are pulled right up front with everything else; sounds like they're mounted right to the dash (in a good way). The EQ creates a baseline so your custom EQs still apply. I've never, ever, ever heard bass continuity that so seamlessly EQ'd between the mid and subs. I'm hearing things in refreshing new detail that I never could before with the 9887 with it's manual adjustments. The 99PRS would be a hands down choice for even better audio quality, but it drops a few functions I really would like to have, such as the built-in Bluetooth, Pandora app mode, and dual USB.

wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
JPxM0Dz (11-05-2012), MaXimus (11-20-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #17
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
@wheelhaus - Looks nice, but I'm curious why you didn't go centered?
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #18
-max-

Drives: Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The Best Kits does work if you can get ahold of one.

-max- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to -max- For This Useful Post:
wheelhaus (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #19
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Drives: Lexus IS-F Series 2
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,246 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
Here's the trim kit I fabricated. The two OEM side brackets hold everything in place, so the head unit can stay put without the trim ring, and vice versa. The aluminum plate mounts by itself to the OEM brackets, and holds the carbon plate around the head unit.

It consists of a piece of aluminum (2024-T3) and a 4-ply carbon fiber plate. The carbon was laid up without vacuum on a sheet of clear Mylar to give it a glossy finish. I wanted to clear coat it, but got impatient. The aluminum was bent with the outer flanges outer measurement exactly at 7 inches wide. The initial bends left the piece too wide, so I added the hump in the center to pull the ends together, it serves no other purpose. I located the aluminum bracket on the face plate and used a high grade epoxy paste adhesive (way overkill).

The original design (out of the car) shows the plate trimmed only large enough for the face plate to protrude. I still wanted a more finished look, so I opened the hole a bit larger and notched it out where the Pioneer trim plate clips needed to fit (this is how it looks in the in-car pic at the bottom). I don't have any pics of the notches, but you get the idea.

I work in the composites shop of an aviation company so many of these material scraps were handy, but they can just as easily be purchased on the open market. The carbon plate can be substituted for literally anything flat and rigid, even a piece of fancy wood, plastic, stainless steel, stitched leather bonded to something, whatever...

BTW I love this head unit! the auto TA and EQ work exceptionally well. The TA can be centered or flipped via the "Position" menu, so your passenger can get the full effect. With the 9887 I always hated that I couldn't easily center or reverse the time alignment for my passenger, so they'd just have to take my word for it that it sounded good, while it sounded terrible to them. With the 80PRS, the subs are pulled right up front with everything else; sounds like they're mounted right to the dash (in a good way). The EQ creates a baseline so your custom EQs still apply. I've never, ever, ever heard bass continuity that so seamlessly EQ'd between the mid and subs. I'm hearing things in refreshing new detail that I never could before with the 9887 with it's manual adjustments. The 99PRS would be a hands down choice for even better audio quality, but it drops a few functions I really would like to have, such as the built-in Bluetooth, Pandora app mode, and dual USB.

Nice Job! Perhaps you could fabricate one for me ?

Thinkin' of pulling my 99PRS from my Lancer and transfer it over to my BRZ

Old 11-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #20
-max-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPxM0Dz View Post
Nice Job! Perhaps you could fabricate one for me ?

Thinkin' of pulling my 99PRS from my Lancer and transfer it over to my BRZ

I'll trade you my kit for the 99
Old 11-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #21
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by -max- View Post
I'll trade you my kit for the 99

Old 11-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #22
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashsnazzy View Post
Wheelhaus, I am looking at the DEH80PRS or DEX-P99RS . Can you share photos of the install? Can you demonstrate how you built the kit?

Has anyone used the BKTOYK996 kit yet? If so can you please post photos?
I've owned both and they're both amazing decks, but grab the P99RS if you can
Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #23
wheelhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
@wheelhaus - Looks nice, but I'm curious why you didn't go centered?
I chose to put it low for a couple reasons. One, I don't like having the head unit really high on the dash, the lower the less of a visual distraction it is while driving. At the same time I don't want it too low, like below the shift knob. Two, I wanted to keep the upper portion available for a pocket, gauges, decal, boost controller, etc etc... Probably just going to put a small white BRZ decal in the lower left corner for now.
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
2forme (11-05-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #24
Tambat

Drives: B5 S4 k04'd +
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post

that would be ideal for someone looking to put a few gauges in their car! nobody has really figured out a great placement for them so far, mostly deleting the center vents or other locations that get in the driver's field of vision during driving. if you started to produce these with some holes cut out for gauges i think you would have a pretty hot seller.
Tambat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tambat For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (11-07-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #25
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
How much room do you have above the cd player? You need just over 2" for standard gauges. I think it would be a great solution. I would prefer a black background rather than the carbon.....
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #26
wheelhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
How much room do you have above the cd player? You need just over 2" for standard gauges. I think it would be a great solution. I would prefer a black background rather than the carbon.....
What are the smaller gauge sizes, 48mm I think? I'd like to get some dimensions and see what could fit. I would have a little more room without the Pioneer's trim ring.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #27
nashsnazzy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S White Out
That best kit setup looks sort of cheap in the photos. :-( I'm guessing they will all be like that unless I do something custom.
nashsnazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #28
-max-

Yes, it looks like the cheap plastic that it is. I have plans to plasticoat it and see how that looks.