follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #15
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
The US has the cheapest prices on new cars in the developed world. Sadly, I live in Canada.

Looked into importing a BRZ from NY state briefly, but an importation tax of ~ 5.5% ON TOP of our 13% sales tax would have applied, negating most of the savings. And I would have to pay up front for warranty work then try and claim it back from Subaru USA. Wasnt worth my trouble IMHO.

I was shocked that the FR-S was only $1000.00 more in Canada (4%), but in addition freight and PDI is ~ $1500 here and I think $700 in the US, so the total ticket is $1800 more.

In past years I have seen lease ads for luxury cars in the Florida newspapers for at least 35% less than advertised here, and this is when our currencies were almost at par.

Sometimes it's just better to not know about this stuff and avoid the aggravation.

Maybe I'll just pack up and move to the Outback and spend my days playing the dijideroo (hope I said that right). Munch on some nice sweet insects.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #16
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipothas View Post
But in regards to the article you posted: given the price difference, idk how you could even begin to compare the two. Almost seems silly to try and pit them against each other
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipothas View Post
Specifically on the page concerning the FR-S, with the "cheap looking" interior. Of course...it's being compared to a Porsche interior...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopyalien24 View Post
I do not like how they were compared. Based on how they did, OF COARSE the Porsche was going to win. Its almost twice as much!
This comparison was part of a group of two-car comparisons where in each they pitted an affordable car against a high-priced one with similar characteristics such as layout, size category etc. They purported to examine the question of whether paying X times the $$ gets you XX times as much car.

Clearly they are very enthusiastic about the BRZ/FR-S. Right at the beginning of its section of the article they reveal that they were rooting for it:

Quote:
It’s so unfair. We love this car, but management doesn’t allow ties for first in a two-car comparison

"Simplicate and add lightness." - Gordon Hooton
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #17
madoka

Drives: 1995 Nissan Maxima
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by einzlr View Post
Clearly they are very enthusiastic about the BRZ/FR-S. Right at the beginning of its section of the article they reveal that they were rooting for it:
Yeah, but in declaring the Cayman the winner, they conclude that the Porsche is worth the additional cost.

As for my observations. . .

The first time I drove a FR-S I heard about the wonderful handling and took a hard corner. My immediate thought was "uh oh, I shouldn't have done that."

If I were to take that corner at the same speed in a Cayman S, I'm usually thinking, "I bet I could have gone 15-20 MPH faster."

There is no performance metric that the FR-S is better than the Cayman S outside of fuel economy. But that's understandable given the cost differential between the two.
madoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #18
Dazza

Drives: Tornado Grey Toyota 86 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by madoka View Post
The first time I drove a FR-S I heard about the wonderful handling and took a hard corner. My immediate thought was "uh oh, I shouldn't have done that."

If I were to take that corner at the same speed in a Cayman S, I'm usually thinking, "I bet I could have gone 15-20 MPH faster.".
I think part of the issue here is a distinction between "handling" and "grip".....although related they are different.
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dazza For This Useful Post:
einzlr (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 05:13 AM   #19
Tambat

Drives: B5 S4 k04'd +
Quote:
Originally Posted by madoka View Post

If I were to take that corner at the same speed in a Cayman S, I'm usually thinking, "I bet I could have gone 15-20 MPH faster."

There is no performance metric that the FR-S is better than the Cayman S outside of fuel economy. But that's understandable given the cost differential between the two.
well the cayman has a much nicer suspension setup and better tires to boot. throw some coilovers/sway bars/wider tires on the twins and i would have to assume that the grip would be better than a cayman. i know its really hard to compare each other because the twins are such a bargain sports car but upgrading the small things can at least make the handling of the two comparable.
Tambat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:32 AM   #20
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I think it would still lose against a base Cayman.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #21
Tveil

Drives: Scion FRS
Owned a base Cayman for a few years and can honestly say that based on my normal spirited driving tendencies (i.e. non-track use), my FRS is at least 90% as satisfying to drive. Granted, the FRS is a bit short on HP and doesn't have the sweet sounds that a mid-engine car offers but for the price you can't beat it.
Tveil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #22
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tveil View Post
Owned a base Cayman for a few years and can honestly say that based on my normal spirited driving tendencies (i.e. non-track use), my FRS is at least 90% as satisfying to drive. Granted, the FRS is a bit short on HP and doesn't have the sweet sounds that a mid-engine car offers but for the price you can't beat it.
Could you go into more detail comparing the two, please? With the new Cayman coming out in a few months the current gen is sure to drop in price in the upcoming year. The M96 engine (IMS failure) is what turns me off from 'em, pops had an 03' Carrera and it was always a concern in the back of his mind.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #23
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Well one of the comments in the article made a worthy point.

None of us can drive for jack shit, so we better drive Honda Accords for the rest of our lives.

Damn.
dem00n is offline   Reply With Quote