follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #1
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
GrimmSpeed Cold Air Intake - New Product Information - Proven 10whp Gain

Well, most of you guys are already experts where this intake is concerned, but for the sake of having some closure, we're pleased to announce the official, public release of the GrimmSpeed Cold Air Intake for the BRZ and FR-S!

Real 10whp gains in 30min with no tuning!

Design requirements for this intake were simple: The intake must not only be safe for the engine, but perform well both with and without tuning. The intake must be able to be installed quickly, without removal of the bumper. The intake must produce horsepower and torque gains throughout the RPM range, not just on the top end. Justification for the first is obvious, we want you to be able to bolt it on and go, without worrying about your air-fuel ratios and engine safety. Justification for the second came after installing other intakes, only to have our front bumper never fit the same way again. A little research showed that this was a common issue. Yuck.

Quick Specs
  • Power and Torque Gains - Throughout entire rev range, no tuning required
  • Mimics factory AFR - Safest intake on the market
  • Installs easily without bumper removal - Don't ruin your bumper fitment like other intakes!
  • Made in the USA - Right here in Minnesota, in fact
  • 30min Installation - Extremely simple with our written and video guides
  • Design

The design of this intake started with months of hands-on research. Follow this link to see the extensive testing that we did on the factory intake setup pressure differentials. Follow this one to see the dyno testing that we did with the stock airbox in a number of different configurations. The entire development of the intake is chronicalled in great detail in our FT86Club thread where members helped with major design decisions. After the research stages and the determination that there was a gap in the intake market, we got to work with design. Using our FARO Arm, we were able to MAP the engine bay in 3D to ensure a perfect fitment. We used that working envelope to maximise performance by eliminating the 90 degree bend just before the airbox. We found that this contributed to decreased resistance, but also helped with accurate MAF readings. We placed the MAF sensor inside the airbox to ensure that the heat from the motor and headers didn't skew it's readings.

Testing

With a solid theoretical foundation and a number of prototypes, our engineers hit the dyno. Working with a very well respected tuner, they tested 26 different intake configurations with over 140 dyno pulls. Armed with a massive amount of data, design decisions were made and we moved forward into production. Check out our testing summary for Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.

Materials

In true GrimmSpeed fashion, no corners were cut in the fabrication of each and every one of these intakes. The airbox is laser cut, CNC bent, riveted together and threaded inserts are installed before the entire assembly receives a heavy duty black wrinkle powdercoat. MAF flanges are CNC machined from 6061 aluminum and the intake tube is fabricated from custom bent tubing, made specifically for our application, to provide the perfect MAF diameter. The air straightener is laser cut from the same 6061 material and tumbled before the entire assembly is TIG welded by our expert welders. After welding, each tube is inspected and ported as needed to ensure maximum performance.

Performance

The intake provides gains in horsepower and torque across the entire rev range. This includes gains of 3-4 ftlbs in the "torque dip," and peak gains of 6 horsepower as measured at the wheels on a Dyno Dynamics dynomometer (reads lower than the common Dynojet). These gains are not achieved through MAF trickery either, as the air to fuel ratio remains nearly identical to the factory's. Additional gains in the top end can be achieved by modifying your factory snorkel (around 2whp) as shown.

On a second dyno, the gains were repeated. Dynojet dynos typically read a bit higher and this one was no different. We found a 10whp gain when simply bolting on the GrimmSpeed Intake with no tuning.

Finally, and thanks to all of you guys, Shiv with OpenFlashTablet volunteered to create an off the shelf map for our intake and provide it for free to OFT owners. He found an additional 7whp on the dyno with his development car.

Includes in each kit:
  • 1x Intake Tube
  • 1x High-flow Oiled Filter
  • 1x Hump Hose Connector
  • 1x Airbox Assembly
  • 3x Hose Clamps
  • 1x PCV Hose Extension
  • 1x PCV Clamp
  • 2x MAF Flange Screws
  • 3ft Rubber Sealing Strip
  • 1x Noise Generator Delete Plug

Install Guide

BRZ/FR-S GrimmSpeed Intake Installation Guide

Pricing:
MSRP - $374.99

Last edited by GrimmSpeed; 12-09-2014 at 11:36 AM.
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
Ammunition (10-20-2015), F1point4 (12-09-2014), STV3 (01-29-2015)
Old 12-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
GrimmSpeed

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
F1point4 (12-09-2014), Fortis (12-10-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
XtremeMaC

Drives: Asphalt Grey FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
don't want the 2nd post to be a doubting one, but here it goes.
1) is this the same as http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50492 ? if not what is the difference except the *cold* title difference?
2) will there be a group buy for this too? I've missed the previous one.
3) is there a audio recording of what the stock vs this one sounds like?
TIA
Old 12-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
malave7567

Drives: (formerly) 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeMaC View Post
don't want the 2nd post to be a doubting one, but here it goes.
1) is this the same as http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50492 ? if not what is the difference except the *cold* title difference?
2) will there be a group buy for this too? I've missed the previous one.
3) is there a audio recording of what the stock vs this one sounds like?
TIA
it's the same intake, but they made a fresh topic for a new Product Release, as opposed to the very long group buy initial thread. The group buy ended not too long ago, I can't imagine they would do another so quickly. The product is now officially released at regular price.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malave7567 For This Useful Post:
GrimmSpeed (12-09-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
XtremeMaC

Drives: Asphalt Grey FR-S
figured as much, but "new product* threw me off. hadn't realized it wasn't on their website before. thanks for the clarification.

anyways I'm interested!
Old 12-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
GrimmSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeMaC View Post
figured as much, but "new product* threw me off. hadn't realized it wasn't on their website before. thanks for the clarification.

anyways I'm interested!
Sounds like your questions have been answered, but yes, this is the same product. It hadn't been officially released until today though and sorting through the 'old' thread for the real information can be difficult.

The group buy has ended, but now that it's been officially released, you can start bugging your favorite vendors to sell you one.

As for the sound clip, here's an 'after'.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7y3jULlSgA"]GrimmSpeed BRZ FR-S Intake - Sound Clip - YouTube[/ame]

Matt Beenen
Engineering
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
GT86_PRAGUE (12-10-2014), radroach (12-01-2015)
Old 12-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #7
2much
I wanna go fast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
why do you make me want things I dont need
2much is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2much For This Useful Post:
Pat (12-09-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Name:  IMAG1714.jpg
Views: 9670
Size:  317.1 KBHere it is installed! Sounds and looks great in the engine bay!
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:25 PM   #9
x1UP
One & Done (AOZORA)

Drives: '15 Series.Blue BRZ (WRB)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
From the purchase I made in the group buy, I can tell you this is one purchase you will not regret. One of the best, if not the best CAI in the market right now.

Guaranteed.
Ammunition (10-20-2015), GrimmSpeed (12-10-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #10
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Drives: Lexus IS-F Series 2
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,246 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Got this already, but would love to see a Limited Edition polished version in the future
SkAsphalt (12-15-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 02:07 AM   #11
Fortis

Drives: 2014 FR-S AT Asphalt
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Very interested in this...Would you say there's any likelihood of throwing a CEL after prolonged use? I see that it's designed to mimic the stock AFR. I don't plan on getting an aftermarket tune or any other serious mods so I was a little worried of throwing a CEL later on down the road.
Fortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:42 AM   #12
Speed2th
I love my series blue brz

Drives: 2010 335d
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortis View Post
Very interested in this...Would you say there's any likelihood of throwing a CEL after prolonged use? I see that it's designed to mimic the stock AFR. I don't plan on getting an aftermarket tune or any other serious mods so I was a little worried of throwing a CEL later on down the road.
I had it for 2 weeks and over 500 miles. no problems at all. however, i think i lost some low end torque as before it was easier to drive in stop and go traffic with clutch only, but now i need to release the clutch slower to avoid stall
Speed2th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #13
akyp

Drives: 2012 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Compatible with Crawford BPBs?

Also it would have been nice to have a dry filter version. Anyway I might still get this somewhere down the road.
akyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #14
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2th View Post
I had it for 2 weeks and over 500 miles. no problems at all. however, i think i lost some low end torque as before it was easier to drive in stop and go traffic with clutch only, but now i need to release the clutch slower to avoid stall
Check your measurements on the filter install. Also, you may want to reset your ECU if you are not tuned. I swapped intakes and noticed little to no change in driving with it. If anything, I just need to have the MAF re-scaled slightly to make sure I'm getting the most of it.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2016 Camaro SS For This Useful Post:
GrimmSpeed (12-10-2014)