follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 11-30-2016, 11:31 PM   #1
Jajanken86

Drives: Silver FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Insurance question

Tiggimon just started another thread about looking for a repair shop. Like him, I just got into an accident. Didn't wanna jack his thread since my question is different but...

The guy who caused a 3 car accident (rear ended someone who ends up rear ending me) just got his license suspended and also doesn't have insurance. I know we all have that uninsured/underinsured motorists coverage in our insurance policies for these situations. If I file a claim from my insurance provider under that coverage do you guys know if they'll end up raising my rates later on because of it?

If they end up raising my rates later on I'm thinking I should just get a new (or used) bumper and get it painted. How would you guys approach this situation?? Thanks for reading!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Jajanken86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:50 PM   #2
thehapaone
Wasian Ninja

Drives: 2013 Crystal Black Silica BRZ-L
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jajanken86 View Post
Tiggimon just started another thread about looking for a repair shop. Like him, I just got into an accident. Didn't wanna jack his thread since my question is different but...

The guy who caused a 3 car accident (rear ended someone who ends up rear ending me) just got his license suspended and also doesn't have insurance. I know we all have that uninsured/underinsured motorists coverage in our insurance policies for these situations. If I file a claim from my insurance provider under that coverage do you guys know if they'll end up raising my rates later on because of it?

If they end up raising my rates later on I'm thinking I should just get a new (or used) bumper and get it painted. How would you guys approach this situation?? Thanks for reading!

If you want to get technical it is still the person that hit you's fault...and therefore it should be going through their insurance. If you are close enough to hit someone when you are hit you are at fault

Previous Cars: 1970 Chevelle 350 (crashed still have in CA), 2000 Honda Accord Coupe (sold)
thehapaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:56 PM   #3
Jajanken86

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehapaone View Post
If you want to get technical it is still the person that hit you's fault...and therefore it should be going through their insurance. If you are close enough to hit someone when you are hit you are at fault
So you mean the person directly behind me right?

Old 12-01-2016, 03:01 AM   #4
Chen
Regional Moderator

Drives: 13' ZN6 / 00' AP1 / 20' A90/ 15 EVO
Thanked 1,275 Times in 854 Posts
Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Just to confirm you were the last car to got hit correct?

In my experience, you do whatever with insurance. Your rate goes up. It's stupid.
Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:25 AM   #5
Jajanken86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chen View Post
Just to confirm you were the last car to got hit correct?

In my experience, you do whatever with insurance. Your rate goes up. It's stupid.
Yup correct. I know! It's crazy! I didn't say a word about my last accident with my insurance. Only spoke to the other person's insurance lol

Old 12-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #6
Chen
Regional Moderator

Drives: 13' ZN6 / 00' AP1 / 20' A90/ 15 EVO
Thanked 1,275 Times in 854 Posts
Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Quote:
Yup correct. I know! It's crazy! I didn't say a word about my last accident with my insurance. Only spoke to the other person's insurance lol

My uncle is my insurance agent, he had mentioned to me. During the renawal period. They check for that kind of stuff.
Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #7
iamjacob
insert witty quip here

Drives: 2016 Limited BRZ
Well, I would approach my insurance with all of both peoples information. You were technically hit by the person behind you and I am pretty sure it's up to their insurance to go after the person behind them.

Outside of that I would get it fixed and go after the initial person in small claims court. You are still responsible for your actions even if you don't have insurance. Letting the original driver slide just because they don't have insurance is rewarding bad behavior.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iamjacob For This Useful Post:
Jajanken86 (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 01:20 PM   #8
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Insurance rules differ from state-to-state, but as long as you live in an "at fault" state, where someone can be declared to have caused the accident, your rates shouldn't go up more if someone hits you. However, if you live in a "no fault" state (such as Michigan), your rates are subject to increase regardless of who cause the accident.

As it pertains to Oregon, I did a little googling website HERE

Quote:
In no-fault states, the insurance companies will pay out regardless of who was at fault, but they will still investigate the accident. They do this in order to increase the premium of the at-fault driver, or so they can recover your deductible for damages paid under your collision coverage.
If you read a bit more through the posting, you can see that Oregon is an "at fault" state. So I am reasonably sure your premium won't go up, other than the increases that are normal because of other dumbasses driving our cars who do stupid things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #9
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacob View Post
Well, I would approach my insurance with all of both peoples information. You were technically hit by the person behind you and I am pretty sure it's up to their insurance to go after the person behind them.

Outside of that I would get it fixed and go after the initial person in small claims court. You are still responsible for your actions even if you don't have insurance. Letting the original driver slide just because they don't have insurance is rewarding bad behavior.
Actually, your insurance company will usually refund your deductible if you are not at fault in a collision, plus they will go after the uninsured driver for you, so hiring your own lawyer is usually unnecessary, unless you are badly injured and want to pursue further damages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:35 PM   #10
iamjacob
insert witty quip here

Drives: 2016 Limited BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
Actually, your insurance company will usually refund your deductible if you are not at fault in a collision, plus they will go after the uninsured driver for you, so hiring your own lawyer is usually unnecessary, unless you are badly injured and want to pursue further damages.
Unless the person in uninsured and the repair comes out of your uninsured/under-insured coverage. In that case you are out your deductible in which case I would go after them in small claims court (no lawyers allowed).

I was just in a similar accident with my wife's car and our deductible was required until the other person's insurance admitted fault and that they would be paying even though the police report said that they were 100% at fault. We actually had to pay the deductible and then get it reimbursed because it took over a month to get the other insurance to admit fault.

Gather receipts for what it cost you to get the repair, the police report indicating the other driver was at fault and any and all information that you have on the other driver and file in small claims court for anything up to 10K. No lawyer required (or allowed).
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iamjacob For This Useful Post:
HunterGreene (12-06-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 09:24 PM   #11
Jajanken86

To give an update: I filed a claim on the lady's insurance (person who hit me) and they say it would be easier for me to file a claim on my own insurance and have them inspect damages and start repairs ASAP. Since I'm the innocent third party my rates shouldn't go up at renewal period. My insurance would then go after the first two insurers who was both partially at fault. Still reading up more on Oregon insurance laws before I really make a claim on my own. If I were to not make a claim on my insurance, I'd have to wait longer for repairs cuz both insurers would need to inspect it and for them to come to an agreement on what percentage of repairs they would answer for. Which sounds really tedious. To my understanding of the adjusters explanation, the exact same thing would be the case in regards to medical attention. But of course, I would only need to see one therapist/medical facility. If I filed a claim on my own insurance, I could make use of my personal injury protection, but that would have me repay them at least partially at the renewal period. They call it subrogation. I think it's stupid since I pay for it monthly then repay when I use it. But like I said, reading up on it more.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #12
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The best people to talk are not necessarily the random folks on a car forum. Call the insurance companies. They have an obligation to the party they ensure and fiduciary obligation to recoup that money from person or insurer of the party at fault.

Also take note of how well they treat you, how well they follow through etc. This is the point where an insurance company proves their true value to you, the insured.

If they don't treat you well during this process then find another carrier. I pay more in insurance than I feel I should for my 3 policies but I stick with State Farm because they have always treated me like a king in the last 2 claims I've made and also went the extra mile (no pun intended). I've shopped around other providers only settle on the reality that the savings weren't enough to give up that level of customer service.
HunterGreene (12-06-2016), Jajanken86 (12-02-2016), Ultramaroon (12-02-2016), Yardjass (12-03-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #13
i heart ricers

Drives: g37 - 370z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

hes uninsured? youre skrewd

go after the person with insurance

you sound young doe

if thats the case dont turn it in
i heart ricers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #14
Jajanken86

Quote:
Originally Posted by i heart ricers View Post
hes uninsured? youre skrewd

go after the person with insurance

you sound young doe

if thats the case dont turn it in
Lol I went after the one with insurance.
Why do you say not to turn it in?