follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #43
JC0830

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ??? View Post
The showcases were on dsport magazine. You can find them on their website or go to their YouTube channel and watch the videos. Remember though, for the intake showcase, they only rated peak power.

I like the idea of the full exhaust. We think alike

I strongly recommend the FT86SpeedFactory UEL header. It's hard to determine which design is superior when you compare EL and UEL. If you compare a knock-off EL that was made in China to the FT86SF header, UEL is waaaaaay better and vice versa. You also have to determine if you want a cat (catalytic converter) in your header. This catches some of the crap that comes out of the engine so that it doesn't pollute so much. Depending on your tune and fuel, it can get ruined, but that takes a while. It usually makes the exhaust note less raspy, it makes it quieter, it's extra weight, and it robs horsepower. I wouldn't ever run a cat if I upgraded a header. Some states like California test your vehicles emissions, so you would need a clean emissions system an engine that runs good to pass the test and not get any fines. I don't live there, and my state doesn't do that test, so although your aren't supposed to take it out, no one will give you crap for taking it out if you're in Florida.

By the way, all if not most aftermarket exhaust parts will fit together. Why do you want a high-flow cat?

If you're on a budget and want some power now, get the FT86SF header and tune it. You will eliminate the torque dip, not increase noise, get that badass UEL sound, get sound when you want it without drone, get rid of the bipolar ECU, and gain a reliable 20whp without sacrificing a noticeable amount of fuel economy. If anything, it'll go up.

The Perrin CBE is not super loud or quiet. If you end up getting a full exhaust and you're worried about noise, all you have to do is pick a quiet CBE. One example is the Invidia N1. It's a great exhaust, and it's a little on the louder side. The Invidia Q300 is the exact same exhaust, but it has a different muffler. Even with a full, catless exhaust, you will not experience drone with a CBE like that. Go to FT86SF's channel to check out the header with a stock and full exhaust and some other exhaust sound clips.

For suspension upgrades, it depends on your budget. Here is what I recommend:

Really cheap: eibach lowering springs (sportline is stiffer and gives you better handling. Pro kit is softer, gives you a more comfortable ride.) This will lower the car 1.4 inches. The springs are also slightly stiffer than stock. They cost around $250. The springs still keep the same ride quality as stock according to reviews
Cheap: Eibach sportline/pro PLUS kit. This is the springs, front and rear sway bars, and the bushings for the sway bars. It's around $400.
Average: Tein coilovers (anywhere from $900-$1k+) this is signifca toy stiffer, you can adjust the damper, you can adjust the amount that you lower the car, and deepening on how much you spend, you can adjust more. There are some affordable 36-way adjustable ones. Excellent choice. It'll drop that car anywhere from .5-4 inches. I strongly recommend sway bars which will be another $200 (Eibach)
Expensive: KW V3 coilovers. ($2300 or something) AWESOME COILOVERS!!! Some of the best on the market. Stiffer spring rate that results in better response, feel, and cornering ability, a lot of adjustment, so you don't have to lose much ride quality at all. I can go on and on, but these coilovers are just awesome. I recommend sway bars too.

Additional:

Wheels and tires on this car is a must!!! For some bang for the buck, I recommend Enkei RPF1. Not a great looking wheel, but they are super strong, and high quality at a relatively low price for that type of wheel. I recommend the size 18x9 or 18x9.5. That should fit on a 245/35/18 tire with no problems with rubbing against the car or anything like that. One of the very best tires money can buy is the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The wheels will help the car turn easier, accelerate faster, gain whp, etc because it's rotational mass. The car comes with terrible tires, so any high performance summer tire will completely change the car for the better. Go to tirerack.com.

If you want to drift at least some of those suspension mods are super helpful. You're also gonna want rotors and pads. If you want to save money, go to FT86SpeedFactory.com, and look at their brake packages (Not the big brake kits). If not, get the rotors you want, pads for the front and rear, brake fluid, and stainless steel lines. I recommend Hawk HP+ pads. Another good mod is the master cylinder brace. It enhances the feel of the brake pedal and it's only $100. You might also want to adjust the E-brake to your liking.

Other mods:

When you get your exhaust parts, I recommend that you wrap them in heat wrap. This makes the exhaust hotter, making the exhaust flow better and fast, and it insulates the pipe, keeping heat away from the air intake and stuff. Get DEI titanium heat wrap with LF technology or whatever it's called. Simple, cheap mod.

Our cars runs hot, so I strongly suggest that you get a radiator and oil cooler from mishimoto.

You might want to lower rotational mass with a crank pulley, driveshaft, and flywheel. This increases throttle response and horsepower.

You may also want to consider little things like a shifter bushing, short shifter, shift springs, or transmission mount from whiteline, Perrin, kartboy, MTEC, etc to just make the car feel more fun. The shift knob even makes a big performance and aesthetic difference. Heavier shift knobs can just be slapped into gear, and shorter ones can help you feel the transmission. The stock one may be fine for you though.

You might also want to think about aesthetics like winjet headlights, shark fin antenna clear side markers, a body kit, 5:AD spoiler, diode dynamics led kit, toms tailights etc. Doing some work to areodynamics is a good idea too. Although the Rexspeed body kit is a little pricey, it's functional, subtle, and good looking. It lowers drag (air resistance) and increases downforce (the force of air pushing the car down. It gives you stability.) the driveway labs diffuser is also cool and functional in the same way. It might not fit very exhaust though. The OEM diffuser is cool too but not functional. Check out the My interior Redesign thread to see some cool stuff. I suggest that you get the OEM armrest too. You might also want to upgrade the stereo. Go to crutchfield.com to learn all about that.

Window tint

With all that, you're gonna want an alarm!!! Clifford makes some of the best stuff out there. Check out their website.

Note: I had a lot of ideas when I wrote this, so I probably forgot a lot. Sort about that. I'll reread it and add something if I remember .

BEST OF LICK!!!

For me, there is no glide in pulse and glide :p
ok well to start off..thanks again for the great info and it seems you and I think alike hahaha. I didn't go into more details of my plan b/c I didn't want to bore ppl with a long ass post.

for the header, I was looking into the Borla header. I'm not questioning your judgment but I think I'm gonna do a little bit more personal research on headers for the brz.

I'm looking into HFC and thus including a catalytic converter b/c my state (GA) requires an emission test every oh so years (i think 5? lol). I could go catless and tune my car to trick the emission test but I'd like to play it safe and keep my car legal haha. plus the HFC looks a lot better and cleaner than the stock front pipe. I want my whole exhaust system to look fresh (header, overpipe, front pipe, midpipe, and mufflers) so that's one reason why I chose the Perrin CBE. I like the gains it gives, the look, the build quality, and the sound.

for suspension..yes, I am thinking about the kw v3 coilovers (gotta figure out how much to lower and how much stiffer). a strut bar, sway bar, MCB, bushings, a transmission mount, and maybe a power brace. also, I will look into the other suspension mods you have mentioned (and the heat wrap, radiator, and oil cooler lol). for brakes I think I'll hold off until the factory ones wear off haha.

tires and wheels..I have no idea where to begin since there are lots of things to factor which means more research lol. I do know I want bigger tires..maybe 245's. not sure if i want to increase my wheels to 18's. first I'm deciding whether I should get 5,6,9 or multi spokes. then I have to figure out how much to chamber them.

aesthetics wise..I just got hid foglights and rear foglights and waiting for them to arrive. will probably get an armrest. looking into smoked taillights..tom's, valenti, or buddy club. hopefully get a seibon roof, maybe a diffuser and something to protect the undercarriage once I lower my car.

so yea...that's what I have in mind so far lol
JC0830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #44
JC0830

@??? @FrsDuke I hope you guys keep it a healthy "argument" or more of a debate per say and classy b/c honestly, I'm getting a lot of info and it's helping me learn a lot lol.

and FrsDuke, I am starting to lean towards waiting for the Grimmspeed intake lol. and YES I AGREE, I wish someone would start an intake sticky =/
Old 03-10-2014, 07:36 PM   #45
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Drives: 2013 ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I'm trying to be cool . Hope I'm doing so. I bare no ill will.

-Duke
FrsDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrsDuke For This Useful Post:
JC0830 (03-10-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #46
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
You could go with a drop-in panel filter or an airraid intake. The Airraid intake won't require any tuning, either, actually (they did their homework on MAF placement).
True but why spend more for the same results . That's what I always come back to.

-Duke
Old 03-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #47
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Well, a smoother intake track could allow a tuner to better get the MAF voltages tuned well, which wouldn't be a power-making device, but rather simply helps in getting a good tune overall.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #48
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Quote:
Well, a smoother intake track could allow a tuner to better get the MAF voltages tuned well, which wouldn't be a power-making device, but rather simply helps in getting a good tune overall.
Has this assertion been proven? I've just never heard it. The theory is absolutely sound, but is it the case that the airaid is in fact more consistent?

-Duke
Old 03-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #49
z3ro
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
800 lbs of NOS...

...but that shit will probably blow your engine during some sort of Fast and the Furious moment...
@MMorganFRS
z3ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #50
MMorganFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3ro View Post
800 lbs of NOS...

...but that shit will probably blow your engine during some sort of Fast and the Furious moment...
@MMorganFRS
LOL!!!!!!! Melt the welds on the intake that causes passenger side floor board to drop out
"Nitrous is like a hot girl with and STD, you want to hit it but you are afraid of the consequences"
MMorganFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:02 AM   #51
???
noob and expert

Drives: None :(
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrsDuke View Post
I'm trying to be cool . Hope I'm doing so. I bare no ill will.

You are and thanks for posting and clearing things up. I agree with you on most of the things you mentioned. I think I might have worded things differently, and it probably caused confusion.

??? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ??? For This Useful Post:
JC0830 (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 01:06 AM   #52
???
noob and expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC0830 View Post
ok well to start off..thanks again for the great info and it seems you and I think alike hahaha. I didn't go into more details of my plan b/c I didn't want to bore ppl with a long ass post.

for the header, I was looking into the Borla header. I'm not questioning your judgment but I think I'm gonna do a little bit more personal research on headers for the brz.

I'm looking into HFC and thus including a catalytic converter b/c my state (GA) requires an emission test every oh so years (i think 5? lol). I could go catless and tune my car to trick the emission test but I'd like to play it safe and keep my car legal haha. plus the HFC looks a lot better and cleaner than the stock front pipe. I want my whole exhaust system to look fresh (header, overpipe, front pipe, midpipe, and mufflers) so that's one reason why I chose the Perrin CBE. I like the gains it gives, the look, the build quality, and the sound.

for suspension..yes, I am thinking about the kw v3 coilovers (gotta figure out how much to lower and how much stiffer). a strut bar, sway bar, MCB, bushings, a transmission mount, and maybe a power brace. also, I will look into the other suspension mods you have mentioned (and the heat wrap, radiator, and oil cooler lol). for brakes I think I'll hold off until the factory ones wear off haha.

tires and wheels..I have no idea where to begin since there are lots of things to factor which means more research lol. I do know I want bigger tires..maybe 245's. not sure if i want to increase my wheels to 18's. first I'm deciding whether I should get 5,6,9 or multi spokes. then I have to figure out how much to chamber them.

aesthetics wise..I just got hid foglights and rear foglights and waiting for them to arrive. will probably get an armrest. looking into smoked taillights..tom's, valenti, or buddy club. hopefully get a seibon roof, maybe a diffuser and something to protect the undercarriage once I lower my car.

so yea...that's what I have in mind so far lol

Thanks for sharing. It seems to be going pretty well. I liked the borla header too. It seems like an awesome product, but I've seen a bad review or two. Maybe it wasn't very accurate, but I don't know. Like you said, you will do your own research on the headers. That's great. Good luck

JC0830 (03-11-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 12:09 AM   #53
JC0830

random question..
other than the company's sites where else can you buy parts?
Old 03-12-2014, 12:13 AM   #54
???
noob and expert

There are many distributors like rallysportdirect and although ft86sf makes some parts, almost everything they sell is from other brands. They are a big distributor.

JC0830 (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 12:13 AM   #55
???
noob and expert

And frsport

JC0830 (03-12-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 03:25 AM   #56
FR-Sizzle

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsporl1996 View Post
I spent a lot of time on the forums researching CAI when I finally decided to get the the K&N drop in filter. To be honest most CAI on the market for our car either showed minimal gains or they actually reduced performance. I would suggest getting the Perrin intake tube and a k&n drop in filter. You could also modify the intake snorkel duct. Subaru and Toyota did a very good job when they designed the OEM intake and currently I don't believe anyone has surpassed the excellent design.

Edit: I do believe the Perrin CAI (the one that sits within the bumper) provides good results but i do not think the results were worth the money. Plus you have to remove the bumper every time you need to clean the filter.
The only intake I believe that would be an improvement over a drop in filter is the GruppeM x Revolution or Toms Carbon Fiber Intake. I remember seeing a dyno from GruppeM x Revolution with it getting around 10-12 whp. But it costs 2000-2300 dollars before taxes/shipping. Which is insanely expensive for an intake.

You can be halfway to a FI kit for how much that kit costs. But if you dont like or plan to go FI because of emissions/legal issues and have the extra cash then you could go that route. Also the Syms intake duct got I believe around 7-8 WHP which is the highest Ive seen an intake get. Most get 5-6, I believe the Syms intake duct had probably a drop in filter/tune also to achieve those results. I doubt it got that much gains by it self. Getting a intake tube like Perrins would also help with a slight gain also after getting other mods like exhaust.

Quote:
You could go with a drop-in panel filter or an airraid intake. The Airraid intake won't require any tuning, either, actually (they did their homework on MAF placement).
You should do some research before suggesting something like the Airaid intake. Its been proven multiple times that the Airaid intake lost power when their was a dyno of multiple intakes from Drift-Office. Ever since they were exposed they have simply ignored everything regarding those dyno's. They were here to make a quick buck by being one of the first companies to offer an intake with very little R&D.
FR-Sizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-Sizzle For This Useful Post:
JC0830 (04-26-2014)