follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
FT86 Motorsports
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
Xerexyz
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Drives: 2017 Toyota 860 in Supernova
Location: Chicago
Posts: 23
Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does the Stock Amp + HU Filter at the Source?

It looks like all speakers which need a high pass filter (tweeters only?) have an LC in line with them as a 6db high pass crossover.

Does this mean the HU and the door amp are putting out a full range? I only ask because I'm interested in just changing the speakers.

I also understand that the stock speakers are at 2 ohm. What kind of class D amp trickery are they using, if it is a stock 25w or so per ch amp @2ohms, will it mean only 12.5w @ 4ohms?

Anyway, thank you for reading and any input.
Xerexyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #2
Chimera
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: FRS
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,159
Thanks: 547
Thanked 272 Times in 203 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerexyz View Post
It looks like all speakers which need a high pass filter (tweeters only?) have an LC in line with them as a 6db high pass crossover.

Does this mean the HU and the door amp are putting out a full range? I only ask because I'm interested in just changing the speakers.

I also understand that the stock speakers are at 2 ohm. What kind of class D amp trickery are they using, if it is a stock 25w or so per ch amp @2ohms, will it mean only 12.5w @ 4ohms?

Anyway, thank you for reading and any input.

The stock headunit puts out full range, the stock amp has some lpf built in, although idk that I have even seen anyone measure it. The stock amp is replaceable with the ktp-445u or other 15A similar amps, but this can introduce other issues of passing full range amplified signal into the doors if you don't use a passive crossover anywhere. @daskaman thread is basically about how doing this can lead to the sound being peaky and bright if you also put speakers with a tweeter in the door.


edit: corrected hpf to lpf


While you can replace the speakers 1 at a time, it is easier to replace them all together with a passive crossover set. but more expensive, to it depends a bit on what your goals are on whether this is a practical route to go.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chimera For This Useful Post:
daskaman (10-24-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
Xerexyz
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Drives: 2017 Toyota 860 in Supernova
Location: Chicago
Posts: 23
Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm hoping to replace the doors with 5.25" Soundstream units from days past; I'm 3D printing my own replacement part to fit them. It's unfortunate that there's a LPF on the doors, do you happen to know what kind of voltage the line is to the mini amp? Is it something like 5V or so?

I'd love to replace them all at the same time, just going to be rough to get all the parts together, shouldn't have given them away with my RX-7 that I sold.
Xerexyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
Chimera
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: FRS
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,159
Thanks: 547
Thanked 272 Times in 203 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerexyz View Post
I'm hoping to replace the doors with 5.25" Soundstream units from days past; I'm 3D printing my own replacement part to fit them. It's unfortunate that there's a LPF on the doors, do you happen to know what kind of voltage the line is to the mini amp? Is it something like 5V or so?

I'd love to replace them all at the same time, just going to be rough to get all the parts together, shouldn't have given them away with my RX-7 that I sold.


it's 12V, with full speaker level lines from the HU as inputs and lines that go to the doors speakers, check out this thread, lots of good info on the stock amps wiring
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42239


this is not the definitive thread on the topic, but it's a good start.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
daskaman
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: Burz
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 39
Thanks: 33
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I can confirm.

Did head unit, and all speakers but didn't do enough research. Doors are bright AF and the speaker is doing too many things. Trying to figure out a LPF somehow or might have to approach the doors with new speakers.

The rest of the speaker however, dam it cleaned up the sound nice!
daskaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #6
cjd
Senior Member
 
cjd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Drives: 2017 BRZ
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,167
Thanks: 762
Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,025 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskaman View Post
I can confirm.

Did head unit, and all speakers but didn't do enough research. Doors are bright AF and the speaker is doing too many things. Trying to figure out a LPF somehow or might have to approach the doors with new speakers.

The rest of the speaker however, dam it cleaned up the sound nice!
Basic low pass filters are easy. They may not do exactly what you expect without actual data modeling, but many people don't know the difference...

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/as...crossovers/308
__________________
Second chance build... or whatever it is.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
Chimera (10-24-2018), daskaman (10-25-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 04:06 PM   #7
jflogerzi
Senior Member
 
jflogerzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 2,662
Thanks: 918
Thanked 805 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I want to ask a question on this subject. Does it matter what Head unit you have with the stock speaker and amp? I replaced my 2013 one with an aftermarket Boss unit and a pre-made harness from Crutchfield. I don't remember vocals coming from the door speakers in stock form. Does this mean the hpf/lps(not sure which is correct hear) is not working?
__________________
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
Stock except for:
Tomei UEL Catless Headers
Nameless AB W/ 5 inch Mufflers
OFT 91/85 Stage 2+ Tune Customized by Tor
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:38 PM   #8
Chimera
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: FRS
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,159
Thanks: 547
Thanked 272 Times in 203 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
I want to ask a question on this subject. Does it matter what Head unit you have with the stock speaker and amp? I replaced my 2013 one with an aftermarket Boss unit and a pre-made harness from Crutchfield. I don't remember vocals coming from the door speakers in stock form. Does this mean the hpf/lps(not sure which is correct hear) is not working?


With the stock speakers and stock amp it is aftermarket stereo ready just by running full signal into the stock harness behind the headunit. The stock amp has the lpf for the doors built into it. The issues only come if you look into replacing the stock amp with an aftermarket one with more power.


If you want passing full signal or even 80hz HPF (from the headunit into front channel), you should be fine. If you are running an aftermarket unit, running the front channels with an 80hz or even a 63Hz HPF will take out a lot of the lowest bass out of the doors which can make them rattle less, but if you do not have a subwoofer, you might not want to do this. depends a lot on your personal preferences.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: Stock Intake Air Filter Box AlexT391 Want-To-Buy Requests 1 07-18-2018 05:59 PM
Air filter for stock box : K&N or Perrins? stevenkuo127 Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 24 08-19-2016 09:59 PM
Stock Exhaust and Air Filter ChandlerSwyng Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons 8 08-30-2013 11:56 AM
K&N Drop-In Filter for BRZ/FR-S in stock! Mach V Dan Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons 0 06-27-2012 02:41 PM
Drop In filter test! Stock, Apexi, No filter RallySport Direct Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 14 06-25-2012 02:40 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.