follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-15-2018, 05:55 PM   #99
Dadillac

Drives: 2018 Ford Mustang EB Premium 6M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Does the 86Speed armrest match the height of the door armrest? So that one elbow isn't higher than the other?

Don
Dadillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:37 PM   #100
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensdale View Post
Hi, new member here!

Are these armrests more for show (to cover up the cavity) or do they actually get use from the arms/elbows?

Wondering if the attached concept is feasible. Seems like a better location to serve as an armrest and leaves the storage/cupholder section open for use.

It does cover up the heated seat buttons in some models though but I think you do not always need access to these buttons. Whenever they are to be used you can pick up the armrest, toggle them and replace armrest.

Just my thoughts, interesting to know what others think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkanist View Post
Wouldn't work well for me but I am probably in the minority being 6'3".
Same here - that is way too far forward to be of use for me at 6'2".
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:01 PM   #101
Lensdale

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkanist View Post
Wouldn't work well for me but I am probably in the minority being 6'3".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
Same here - that is way too far forward to be of use for me at 6'2".
Where approximately does your arm and elbow make contact with the console?

I'm not digging the OEM one due to the drilling, does not flip the other way for passenger access and the standing panel when a drink is in the cupholder.
Lensdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #102
Dake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensdale View Post
Where approximately does your arm and elbow make contact with the console?

I'm not digging the OEM one due to the drilling, does not flip the other way for passenger access and the standing panel when a drink is in the cupholder.

(man it's time for a cleaning)

I was concerned about those issues, but as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I don't have a passenger often, and a passenger with a drink at the same time happens even less frequently. The very minor inconvenience is far outweighed by the much better ergonomics provided by the arm rest (and the ability to keep unsightly charging cables and odds and ends stowed out of sight).

As to the drilling, well yeah - kind of a bummer. I guess you could probably use 3M tape, but Lord willing I'm keeping the car for years and even if I sold it, it's an OEM part so I'd just leave it in anyway.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #103
Lensdale

Drives: FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
I was concerned about those issues, but as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I don't have a passenger often, and a passenger with a drink at the same time happens even less frequently. The very minor inconvenience is far outweighed by the much better ergonomics provided by the arm rest (and the ability to keep unsightly charging cables and odds and ends stowed out of sight).

As to the drilling, well yeah - kind of a bummer. I guess you could probably use 3M tape, but Lord willing I'm keeping the car for years and even if I sold it, it's an OEM part so I'd just leave it in anyway.
Thanks, the pic helps a lot. I tried to ballpark where your elbow and palm would be when you are in 1st and 2nd gear. Is it close or am I way off?
Attached Images

Lensdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:27 PM   #104
Dake

Elbow is maybe a hair further back (should've been in short sleeves), but that seems pretty close over all.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:54 AM   #105
Lim

Drives: Scion FRS 2016
I have installed same one as Dake. I got cheaper from ebay shipped from Taiwan. I think $115. But it is vinyl not leather, but matches pattern well. Improves look a lot.

It has very good ergonomics. Good support for elbow and does not get in a way of shifting.

Like it a lot.
Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:25 AM   #106
Awong124

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 GT
I got the OEM accessory one, and I love it. I have a 2019, so the stitching is silver to match the rest of the interior. It matches the rest of the car perfectly, and looks totally factory. The part fitment is absolutely perfect. I installed it myself, so I only paid for the part and not installation. I work at a dealership chain, so I paid $200+tax CAD with employee pricing.

The armrest does not come with instructions, only a couple of templates to let you know where to drill holes. So it does take some time to figure it all out. That being said, I find it a bit disturbing that a tech at a Toyota dealership took 3 hours to install it. I installed it in about 1.5 hours. And now that I've done it before, I can probably do it in half an hour. It is a bit daunting, because you have to drill holes in the center console. And the part is riveted in, so it's permanent. Once it's in it's never coming out again.
Awong124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #107
22R
22R

Drives: 2012 Camry SE 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I bought this one from Zeta Products off of Amazon while maybe not perfect for the money and quality it is hard to beat. Just remove if you have a drink. Looks sharp in the car.
https://www.amazon.com/Center-Consol...rds=toyota++86

22R
22R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 22R For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-18-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 01:17 AM   #108
Face_Plant

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I have the Toyota sliding armrest. I honestly don't like it very much. I'm not short, but I'm not tall, and this armrest sits up too high to be comfortable. Usually while driving I rest my right arm on my leg and hold onto the bottom/side of the steering wheel, so I have no use for an armrest. For now I've just been sliding it back so it doesn't get in my way while changing gears. I'd like to replace it with the flip up armrest mentioned earlier in this thread and turn the cup holder area into a storage space for my glasses, phone, etc.
Face_Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:37 AM   #109
notout86

Drives: GTS 86 auto
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Try a mock-up of a rest on top of the DOOR armrest. Make it high enough that your hand can rest on the wheel spoke. Have your other hand resting on your thigh and the underside of the wheel. I found centre armrests constrictive and fouled my elbow with gear changing.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #110
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,443 Times in 963 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I don't get this "need" for an arm rest. I grew up, learned to drive (and race) in a time when the general consensus was, get as low as possible (as in lay back) and have your arms almost straight out. You never take your hands off the wheel except to shift gears and that you do as quickly as possible. Worked for me back in the day. YMMV I must admit though, these days I sit a little more vertical and closer to the wheel with my arms bent. Still, I find no need/use for an arm rest.

Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote