follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #29
PMPB

Drives: BRZ Sport-tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango22 View Post
Yeah, I'm looking for his profile now and will post link when found

Update: Okay maybe someone can help me, I know the person I'm referencing is named Leon(sic). He owns a GBS BRZ, w/ a front black grill/screen mod. He owns three cars and at one time posted them for sale on the car classified section (BRZ, WRX, and a Acura ?) anyhow, I thought his forum name was Dark Sunrise or Sunshine but I think I might be mistaken. Anyhow, please buzz in if you know his screen name. I'm exhausted w/ searching all the sub categories. Thx
@Mango22; is this the advert you were referring to? http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32646
PMPB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PMPB For This Useful Post:
Mango22 (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #30
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah, I'm looking for his profile now and will post link when found

Update: Okay maybe someone can help me, I know the person I'm referencing is named Leon(sic). He owns a GBS BRZ, w/ a front black grill/screen mod. He owns three cars and at one time posted them for sale on the car classified section (BRZ, WRX, and a Acura ?) anyhow, I thought his forum name was Dark Sunrise or Sunshine but I think I might be mistaken. Anyhow, please buzz in if you know his screen name. I'm exhausted w/ searching all the sub categories. Thx
@xn7485. GBS BRZ from the Mid-Atlantic region. We all had a chance to drive the car at the P-Tuning meet.

You came with your brother, right Mango?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMPB View Post
@Mango22; is this the advert you were referring to? http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32646
Indeed, that's Leon. Got to it before I did.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
Mango22 (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #31
Mango22
Winter is Coming

Drives: GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
@xn7485. GBS BRZ from the Mid-Atlantic region. We all had a chance to drive the car at the P-Tuning meet.

You came with your brother, right Mango?

Indeed, that's Leon. Got to it before I did.

Yeah, thanks to both of you for chiming in. That's the right person. But looking over his mods for his BRZ I don't see any shifter mods other than the trans and diff fluid changes which I'm sure made a difference but I could have sworn Leon said he replaced/upgraded some of the shifter parts. He might have been referring to his WRZ because we were discussing that at the same time, since I was considering possibly buying it. Anyhow, someone interested might want to reach out to him and see if he did change anything with his BRZ shifter. All I remember is it felt perfect and made me envious. Anyhow, Leon is a really nice guy and has a fantastic driving BRZ, lucky bastard.
Mango22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #32
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah, thanks for both of you chiming in. Thats the right person. But looking over his mods for his BRZ I don't see any shifter mods other than the trans and diff fluid changes which I'm sure made a difference but I could have sworn Leon said he replaced/upgraded some of the shifter parts. He might have been referring to his WRZ because we were discussing that at the same time, since I was considering possibly buying it. Anyhow, someone interested might want to reach out to him and see if he did change anything with his BRZ shifter. All I remember is it felt perfect and made me envious. Anyhow, Leon is a really nice guy and has a fantastic driving BRZ, lucky bastard.
Honestly, these boxes are very different from car to car. I've had a few people describe mine was "smoother" than theirs. For instance, @thejevans FR-S had the exact same mods as my BRZ several thousand dollars ago and our shifters felt COMPLETELY different. Stock fluid, stock clutch pedal adjustment, different brand of rear shifter bushing (cmon, they're the same thing...), only I had less miles. The boxes are inconsistent from car to car is my deduction. Coupled with tolerances in bearings (pilot etc.) I'm sure that's accounting for some of our issues.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #33
PMPB

Drives: BRZ Sport-tech
Quote:
Yeah, thanks to both of you for chiming in. That's the right person. But looking over his mods for his BRZ I don't see any shifter mods other than the trans and diff fluid changes which I'm sure made a difference but I could have sworn Leon said he replaced/upgraded some of the shifter parts. He might have been referring to his WRZ because we were discussing that at the same time, since I was considering possibly buying it. Anyhow, someone interested might want to reach out to him and see if he did change anything with his BRZ shifter. All I remember is it felt perfect and made me envious. Anyhow, Leon is a really nice guy and has a fantastic driving BRZ, lucky bastard.
This is supervillain levels of creeping... but looking through his posts, he posted under the Whiteline Positive Shifter Kit DIY. Maybe he installed that one?
PMPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #34
Chee-Hu

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
My car feels that same when shifting. It does shift smooth more than it shifts rough. I just always thought it was normal as nothing seems to sound like they're grinding. The car has 125xx miles.
Chee-Hu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #35
abutterman

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited - WRB, MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
of course today no matter what i do i can't get the thunk to happen. it did have some moments though where it would be shifting more or less smooth and then all of a sudden id go 1-2 and 2nd and it felt aweful and then 2-3 sounded like it knocked into something. all the sounds come from the shifter itself. like metal hitting metal right at the base of the shifter
abutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #36
Mango22
Winter is Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMPB View Post
This is supervillain levels of creeping... but looking through his posts, he posted under the Whiteline Positive Shifter Kit DIY. Maybe he installed that one?
So I PM'd Leon and asked him to respond on this thread about his shifter mods.
He was offline so I'm not sure when he will respond.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #37
mikeTee
Yup.

Drives: MT Subaru BRZ '13
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
So I PM'd Leon and asked him to respond on this thread about his shifter mods.
He was offline so I'm not sure when he will respond.
Keep us in the loop.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #38
Mango22
Winter is Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeTee View Post
Keep us in the loop.
I sent Leon the link to this thread page so he should respond directly but if he just PMs me I'll follow up here.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #39
xn7485

Drives: 1995 Acura Integra GS-R
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
You would be correct here, the only changes I've made to my transmission is clutch engagement point, trans, & diff fluid. It was the WRX where I replaced the Universal Shifter Joint that fixed sloppy shift. Since the cars in question are fairly new, this shouldn't be the fix to the problem.

I still do notice a little notchiness with a cold trans, but once it warms up, Redline MT-90 does a great job. I may switch over to that Pentosin everyone was talking about next time to test it out. @Sargy has it in his, wonder if that helps.
xn7485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #40
Sargy
Long Distance Driver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Everything smooth on my end for the last 13k miles

Pentosin trans and motul diff
Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #41
abutterman

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited - WRB, MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
well now 1st sometimes just doesn't go in at a complete stop. it'll go half way and get stuck. i really want to bring it in to the dealer but i know they're just gonna say they couldnt replicate the issue during their 5 minute test drive. not sure if it's the clutch at this point or the shifter or what. it's like every week everything changes. one gear that was notchy and rough gets smooth and one that was always generally ok gets worse. not sure what to do at this point
abutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #42
Jayvelliott

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
just spreading the word as i said in another thread

Guys don't wait! Please take yours into the dealership..i have a black brz bought it slightly used with 4k on it...it now has 10k and i just dropped it off at the dealership because of the same issue however my situation has got alot worse.. due to the horrible transition btwn gears especially going into 3rd i have a feeling my clutch assembly is now in pieces...and they are going to diagnoses the car and determine if its due to abuse...if thats the case im straight up getting lawyers involved ...in any case what happen this weekend was inexcusable...

i went for a ride..had the same 3rd gear issue as always... then came to a red light..tried to put it in 1st and it wouldn't go in at all..when i finally got going... i made it to my destination...as i was leaving..got in the car and tried to go in reverse and the sound was horrible..the gears sounded like they were working against each other...think of a castle gate being lowered..that sound is exactly what i heard...now i get loud thuds going into 1st and 2nd...3rd will not work unless its in neutral first...here is a video to hear what it sounds like just sitting in neutral..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jivPybJwqPI"]BRZ Gearbox Issues - YouTube[/ame]