follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 02-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #1
NemesisPrime909

Drives: 2017 Nissan Versa Note
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
RSX and EP Civic Si

So I had an idea the other day. I'm a big fan of FR cars. As such, the FR-S is an angel sent from heaven above. But one thing I've been concerned about is space.

So I got to thinking about 3-door cars and the ones that came to mind are the DC5 RSX and EP9 Civic.

So I'm making this topic to see if there's anyone out there who's actually owned one or the other and if so, what were they like to live with? What did you like? What didn't you like?

Just looking for some insight.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #2
fang_gt86
FR Noob

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisPrime909 View Post
So I got to thinking about 3-door cars and the ones that came to mind are the DC5 RSX and EP9 Civic.
What's an EP9?

6MT FR-S Whiteout:OFT- OTS V2 Stage 2 (93oct & E85), Tomei UEL, Invidia OP, JDL UltraQuiet FP, Ark Grip catback, GS hood struts, Perrin Inlet & K&N drop-in
fang_gt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
asdf
Loading...████████] 99%

Drives: #0517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I had an RSX Type S from 2003-2011 and loved the car! I should have kept it but I really wanted a four door "luxury" car -- I absolutely missed having a smaller 2 door manual transmission fun car (which is how I ended up in an FRS).

I never had any issues with that car and I beat on that car pretty hard -- the K series motor was a blast ripping it up to 8k+RPM, especially with intake/header/exhaust. It was a very fun car to drive w/ just an upgraded rear swaybar and a decent shock/spring/coilover system.

Having the hatch is great for moving things-- I built a fence and used the RSX to transport all of the lumber and metal posts from home depot w/o any issue. I was even modified and had the car lowered as low as I could at that time, lol!

Last edited by asdf; 02-05-2016 at 06:38 PM.
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to asdf For This Useful Post:
NemesisPrime909 (02-08-2016), val_lixembeau (08-24-2017)
Old 02-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #4
strat61caster
Thread Killer

Drives: '13 FRS
Thanked 8,237 Times in 4,307 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Very nearly bought an RSX as my first car (decided to save about $5k though and bought a beater) definitely a big contender for cheap practical fun.

Start delving into fast FWD cars, check out autocross and track setups, being able to chuck a car so hard into a corner, late on the brakes, feel the back end come around, not give any shits about where the back end ends up and then being able to power out much harder than most RWD cars can be immensely satisfying.

Check out Toyota Celica and early TC's as they competed rather nicely with base RSX's (I don't think they ever put anything out that matched an RSX-S) and were likely not abused as hard and should be available a bit cheaper. Don't discount real hatchbacks either like the Mazda3, GTI, and Mini, riding along in an autocross prepped Mini and driving a mild prep one totally changed my mind on FWD cars being "boring" and "fail wheel drive" when set up well (or even just a few changes) they can be a blast.

This video also shifted my opinion a bit:

strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
asdf (02-05-2016), NemesisPrime909 (02-08-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 06:47 PM   #5
Re_Invention

Drives: '17 Volt, '16 RDX, '07 911
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisPrime909 View Post
So I had an idea the other day. I'm a big fan of FR cars. As such, the FR-S is an angel sent from heaven above. But one thing I've been concerned about is space.

So I'm making this topic to see if there's anyone out there who's actually owned one or the other and if so, what were they like to live with? What did you like? What didn't you like?

Just looking for some insight.
Space... 3 doors... Space... 3 doors..

I have a '13 GTI 5 door, love it. Easy to grab stuff, put stuff in, move stuff around. Have never been in the Civic but put miles on an RSX type S. Fantastic car, and worth all the praise it ever got. The interior will likely feel dated now and I'm of the opinion they haven't held up over time though. Certainly not to the typical abuse they are put through with an overwhelming population of negligent owners.

If you can find a clean example with modest miles, jump on it.

Then there's the argument if the 06'+ SI was a better car for the money... No leather but LSD standard with optional nav.

If you're looking for space (why 3 doors??!) I'm gonna through out the 'sport sedan' suggestions: Acura TSX (see RSX problem), Infiniti G35/VQ Maxima, any BMW with the N52, Passat if you wanna get froggy with a 1.8T. Gotta love the depreciation on these 10 year old cars.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:47 PM   #6
immaculate

Drives: 2017 Audi S3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I had an RSX Type S for about 3 years before moving on to the BRZ. I loved the RSX, never had a single problem with it. Similar power to the twins, but much different delivery. The RSX seemed to have a better top end and less torque down low. Great transmission, I preferred Honda's gearbox to the twins. Nice, driver focused interior that's a little outdated feature wise these days.

No regrets selling mine as I'm happy with my BRZ, but it's a great, reliable sporty car that can be had very cheap.
immaculate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to immaculate For This Useful Post:
NemesisPrime909 (02-08-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 10:29 PM   #7
MrFisty
The Fistiest

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Most have been beat to death. Especially the RSX-S with that 8300 Rev limit. They prone to a number of issues, IMO.
But I got a beat up 02 that runs for sale for $2500

Also, imagine having the horsepower of the rsx, with worse torque delivery, having to Rev the piss out of it, and it being 3300 lbs.
MrFisty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrFisty For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 12:05 AM   #8
DarkSunrise

Drives: 13 FR-S
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,779 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I had an RSX a long time ago. The interior was probably my favorite part about that car. Never had any rattles and the build quality was high even after eight years of ownership. My second favorite part was the shifter which was typical Honda smooth and light. I liked it better than the FR-S shifter. The rear hatch and seating area also offered a lot of cargo room and was quite useful, especially compared to a coupe like the FR-S.

I never liked the handling though. Even with an upgraded rear sway (JDM ITR) and coilovers (Mugen), it would always understeer heavily under power. I'm not a big fan of open differential FWD cars, and it's not like RSX's are exceptionally light cars either. The handling was fine as long as you weren't trying to push it to the limit, but once you got there it was typical FWD understeer.

As a practical, stylish street-driven hatch, I think it's a great choice. But coming from an FR-S, I wouldn't want to switch back, especially if you track or drive back canyon roads often.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:13 AM   #9
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,326 Times in 800 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
My bro has a '05 type s.
For being a FWD it's not bad. Cargo wise it way better then the 86. Also you can fit 2 normal adults in the back seat.

Other than fwd it's not bad little coupe. Had to change the clutch at 100k, and there's been some odd rattle in the dash that comes and goes, and the rear lid has the typical rattle all lift backs have.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:07 AM   #10
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: 7MGE & FA20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had a 2003 RSX Type S. I would likely still have it if not for some unfortunate events but no regrets.

What I liked: The huge aftermarket, even back in 2007, peppy chassis. You do very little to it and get a lot. I had light rotas, cold air, RBC intake and mild weight reduction, felt like a world of difference, never dyno'd but ran 8.9 1/8th mile, great space, looked great and just felt like a refined vehicle to me, felt tight inside and well made and reliable. I could track it and still not worry about taking it anywhere. Drove great in snow with all seasons, lowered.

What I didn't like: 2nd/3rd gear, wheel hop

Comparisons

Space - RSX.
The hatch makes a world of difference in space. I've fit bikes, disassembled home gyms, tons of boxes, and many other things.

Engine - RSX.
VTEC; 200HP on a 2.0L 4 Cyl 10 years prior to the 86. 8-9k RPM safely on stock internals, reliable K20 longevity.

Trans - 86.
The RSX 6 Speed is great when running good but notorious for 2nd gear grind/3rd gear wall.

Speed/Accel - Same.
While RSX has better engine in my opinion, they still have the same power.
They both weigh about the same and have 200HP, subsequently both run near 14.9/15 flat in the quarter mile stock.

Handling - 86.
I have only had the FRS for 1 month. I'd say from general consensus, the 86 is better but they're different beasts. The RSX handled beautifully for me.

Looks - Subjective.
I love both but lean towards RSX because of the tail lights being altezza-ish on the 86. Easy fix of course. I think the interior is better on the RSX, as long as you get the black interior.. I also love the Arctic Blue Pearl color of the RSX. It's been my favorite color of any car I've had or wanted. I have Oceanic Blue on FRS and it's sweet but edge to the RSX.

Tech/ICE - Not relevant. Different eras. You're not going to have bluetooth or HD radio standard on an RSX, but they can easily be added via a <$200 system.

There's more I'm probably missing.
NARFALICIOUS is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NARFALICIOUS For This Useful Post:
NemesisPrime909 (02-08-2016), Teseo (02-08-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 03:45 PM   #11
TylerLieberman

Drives: '16 WRB STI/ '17 Tacoma TRD
Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,155 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I've driven an RSX-S. Great car! One of my favorite FF vehicle I've driven. Fun and loads of potential.

Just stay away from shit parts (*cough Megan coilovers *cough) and don't slam the hell out of it and make it useless.

Proper suspension, wheels/tires, and they're a blast. I'd totally buy one if I was looking for a fun FF car for track use... That or a DC2.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:19 AM   #12
Atropine

Drives: 2019 Tacoma and a 1991 Miata
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
RSX is a great car...

A buddy bought one used for like $12k...drove it 5 years...put about 100k miles on it, so it had about 150k miles on it.

Never did any repairs other than standard wear and tear items.

A policeman T-Boned his car running a red light (not in pursuit btw).

He got a check from insurance/police department for $11.5k

He misses that car.
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:49 AM   #13
Scott@HKSUSA

Drives: 2013 FR-S, HKS V2 S/C
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I just sold my 02 EP3. Owned it since new. Sold it with ~246,xxx miles.

Pros: A3 is very understressed and reliable w/bolt-ons, tight body/chassis, ~30 mpg, comfortable, ambiguous, & utilitarian daily driver.

Cons: worst suspension Honda ever cast & bolted onto a frame, A3 has limited potential, limited support for the EP3 beyond basic bolt-ons
Scott@HKSUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott@HKSUSA For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (02-08-2016), NemesisPrime909 (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 11:55 AM   #14
NemesisPrime909

Drives: 2017 Nissan Versa Note
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fang_gt86 View Post
What's an EP9?
this is what happens when you think of EK9 and EP3 at the same time