follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
smg1138
Senior Member
 
smg1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Location: Nashville
Posts: 712
Thanks: 808
Thanked 202 Times in 130 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Bilstein B6 or B8?

So, I'm seriously considering upgrading to Bilstein dampers matched with some Swift Spec-R springs. Only thing is that I can't figure out which ones to go with. I've read some conflicting information about which is better for this amount of drop. The Spec-R's advertise a 28mm front and 25mm rear drop, but I've read that's actually conservative. I'm thinking the B8's would be best, but I'm still not 100% sure. Anybody have any experience with this that can offer some feedback?
smg1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:33 PM   #2
PERRIN_Chris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 770
Thanks: 450
Thanked 534 Times in 315 Posts
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
Check with @FT-86 SpeedFactory. They've ran both of them before and will be able to give you the best advice.
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #3
FT-86 SpeedFactory
 
FT-86 SpeedFactory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 7,694
Thanks: 1,298
Thanked 3,575 Times in 1,252 Posts
Mentioned: 339 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Even with the Swift spring's modest lowering, you are still shortening the amount of stroke on the piston for the damper. The B8 does account for this and has a shorter stroke with a smaller internal bumpstop than the B6. They are also damped for higher spring rates of lowering springs.

That being said, I believe it would depend on what you are looking to do with the setup. If you are looking for more performance, the B8 will firm things up a bit more with the springs to ask a bit more from your tires. The B6 would be more comfortable over bumps with the longer stroke that is available. Most want a little of both as their cars are daily drivers, a bit of comfort with some more performance and go for the B6.

Hope that helps a little!

Cheers,
-Yo
FT-86 SpeedFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FT-86 SpeedFactory For This Useful Post:
NWFRS (10-21-2015), smg1138 (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 03:18 PM   #4
_gt86_user
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: .
Location: .
Posts: 289
Thanks: 40
Thanked 82 Times in 64 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg1138 View Post
So, I'm seriously considering upgrading to Bilstein dampers matched with some Swift Spec-R springs. Only thing is that I can't figure out which ones to go with. I've read some conflicting information about which is better for this amount of drop. The Spec-R's advertise a 28mm front and 25mm rear drop, but I've read that's actually conservative. I'm thinking the B8's would be best, but I'm still not 100% sure. Anybody have any experience with this that can offer some feedback?
You can match those struts with the Swift sports too they ride pretty good for daily and firm things up quite a bit, I'm on OEM shocks at the moment but I feel there is still enough stroke to soak up the bumps.
_gt86_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #5
smg1138
Senior Member
 
smg1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Location: Nashville
Posts: 712
Thanks: 808
Thanked 202 Times in 130 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _gt86_user View Post
You can match those struts with the Swift sports too they ride pretty good for daily and firm things up quite a bit, I'm on OEM shocks at the moment but I feel there is still enough stroke to soak up the bumps.
I do Autocross, so the Swift Sports would be too soft. Right now I'm using RCE Yellow's on the stock dampers and it's been ok but not great. I thought the B8's with the Swift Spec-R's would be a good setup for STX without having to deal with the headache that comes with adjustable coilovers. It may just be wishful thinking on my part though.
smg1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #6
Ro_Ja
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: car
Location: CA
Posts: 402
Thanks: 189
Thanked 221 Times in 131 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86 SpeedFactory View Post
Even with the Swift spring's modest lowering, you are still shortening the amount of stroke on the piston for the damper. The B8 does account for this and has a shorter stroke with a smaller internal bumpstop than the B6. They are also damped for higher spring rates of lowering springs.

That being said, I believe it would depend on what you are looking to do with the setup. If you are looking for more performance, the B8 will firm things up a bit more with the springs to ask a bit more from your tires. The B6 would be more comfortable over bumps with the longer stroke that is available. Most want a little of both as their cars are daily drivers, a bit of comfort with some more performance and go for the B6.

Hope that helps a little!

Cheers,
-Yo
But the valving is the same between the two?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=60
Ro_Ja is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Koni Yellow vs. Bilstein B6 vs. Bilstein B8 shattered_memory Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 15 01-04-2017 12:22 PM
Bilstein b14's vs KW ST. Bongertz Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 4 05-13-2014 02:36 AM
WTB: Used Bilstein B14 or B16 InvalidJohnny5 Brakes, Suspension, Chassis 0 03-11-2014 10:40 AM
Bilstein I-RC C3 Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 0 12-16-2013 12:45 PM
bilstein PSS mokinbird87 Southern California 1 10-29-2013 10:12 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.