follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #43
matadormi5

Drives: GTI MK5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
I don't like the idea of making too many variants of the car. At best, 2 seater stripped down and 2+2 Coupe. I kid.
Honestly, there is no point to make a sedan version for the car, convertible is meh. If the company think that they spend too much money on the R&D, they can use the chassis to develop a new sedan/wagon/watever or replace the existing model's chassis. Toyota use Camry's Chassis for almost everything in the line up, so they can do the same to FT-86's Chassis. I don't see why not.
Yeah, I don't want to see a bunch of 86's either. Sedan 86, Convertible 86, station-wagon 86, minivan 86....good god NO!

Who knows what Toyabaru has planned. I like your idea of using technology and etc they got from developing this car and making the other cars in the line better.

future will tell though.
matadormi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #44
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadormi5 View Post
Yeah, I don't want to see a bunch of 86's either. Sedan 86, Convertible 86, station-wagon 86, minivan 86....good god NO!

Who knows what Toyabaru has planned. I like your idea of using technology and etc they got from developing this car and making the other cars in the line better.

future will tell though.
In that case, I would like to see how they put LFA's tech to a good use.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #45
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Oh yeah, carbon/aluminum chassis. FT-86 ending up weighing the same as the AE86. Imagine the dealer markups and waiting list for that car.

Oddly enough (but hopefully not odd at all) the FT86c in GT5's power output per cylinder is pretty much the same as the LFA. And the FT86c's got almost the same displacement per cylinder, which means it would rev similarly to make the 220 HP. They could make this thing truly epic if they could make a sales/profit case for it.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #46
matadormi5

Quote:
Racing and Super-cars are like a brand's test bed for go-fast tech and innovation, then they all eventually get perfected and the cost to produce goes down enough to be adapt them for use in everyday commuter cars.

Example, carbon-ceramic brakes were first applied to racing cars then trickled down to production super-cars. We may even see carbon brakes on a Civic one day.

Innovation from developing the LFA will definitely find it's way to the FT-86. No matter what these may be, I don't think anyone will complain.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #47
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
they will make sales if they regulate the dealer markups. one thing i never understood is the stupidity in greed.. everyone wants to make the most profit, but thats found in turnover rather thaqn selling profit (eg why fiat owns Ferrari :p)
Old 02-03-2011, 03:46 AM   #48
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Quote:

future will tell though.
If anything capitalizing on the 86 would be a good thing, but more likely just a sedan for Lexus and a smaller roadster. Toyota has a flagship in the LF-A, the 86 could fill the role of reinvigorating the brand and bring some sportiness to it. Most companies produce almost entirely FWD cars with a "sporty" version. The 86 is RWD, and entering the market where FWD dominates and holds all the competitive advantages. The only way to keep the 86 when the hype fades would be to spread the platform out to take advantage of it's advantages; RWD, a compact engine, a responsive/stiff chassis, and a likeable even lovable engine note.

And in essence the Sedan wouldn't be the 86 nor the roadster they would just be built on the same platform. And in reality the 86 platform is based on the Legacy.

Think Fords' Mustang, Mazda's Miata or Rotaries, Nissan's Z cars. Something that lasts and is still fun to drive.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #49
matadormi5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
If anything capitalizing on the 86 would be a good thing, but more likely just a sedan for Lexus and a smaller roadster. Toyota has a flagship in the LF-A, the 86 could fill the role of reinvigorating the brand and bring some sportiness to it. Most companies produce almost entirely FWD cars with a "sporty" version. The 86 is RWD, and entering the market where FWD dominates and holds all the competitive advantages. The only way to keep the 86 when the hype fades would be to spread the platform out to take advantage of it's advantages; RWD, a compact engine, a responsive/stiff chassis, and a likeable even lovable engine note.

And in essence the Sedan wouldn't be the 86 nor the roadster they would just be built on the same platform. And in reality the 86 platform is based on the Legacy.

Think Fords' Mustang, Mazda's Miata or Rotaries, Nissan's Z cars. Something that lasts and is still fun to drive.
I'm certain Toyota will/has considered to put 86 blood into their line-up. They need to make money after all, and if the FT-86 is as good a car as we all here hope it is, it would be smart to use what they learned and make new and improved things.

I'm just saying I don't like the idea of a whole line-up of FT-86's on their own. "This is the all new Toyota FT-86 van, and next to it, the all new FT-86 sedan."

On contrast, it would be entirely cool if they were able to put some FT-86 character into their next Sienna or Camry etc etc.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #50
Allch Chcar

Quote:
I'm certain Toyota will/has considered to put 86 blood into their line-up. They need to make money after all, and if the FT-86 is as good a car as we all here hope it is, it would be smart to use what they learned and make new and improved things.

I'm just saying I don't like the idea of a whole line-up of FT-86's on their own. "This is the all new Toyota FT-86 van, and next to it, the all new FT-86 sedan."

On contrast, it would be entirely cool if they were able to put some FT-86 character into their next Sienna or Camry etc etc.
Well you've got nothing to worry about there, Toyota is using the Prius for a mini-van.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #51
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

This is an excellent point, particularly the Z reference. Nissan/Infiniti used the Z chassis for the basis of many excellent vehicles. The 350Z, G35 coupe & sedan, FX35/45, Murano, M35/45 (?), EX35, all shared the fundamental platform that started with the Z car.

I've said it before that a next-gen Lexus IS on this chassis would be a good idea.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:18 AM   #52
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
This is an excellent point, particularly the Z reference. Nissan/Infiniti used the Z chassis for the basis of many excellent vehicles. The 350Z, G35 coupe & sedan, FX35/45, Murano, M35/45 (?), EX35, all shared the fundamental platform that started with the Z car.

I've said it before that a next-gen Lexus IS on this chassis would be a good idea.
Anything sport and light is always good. Like I said before, IS is too heavy for a little sedan. If it uses a sportier and lighter chassis, IS will surely attract enthusiasts rather than some kids, ladies and old folks, who only have money to spend but have no taste.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #53
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

And in reality the 86 platform is based on the Legacy.
Only thing I disagreed on. The 86 lead engineers have already stated that the FT-86 platform was built from the ground up specifically for this car.

And honestly, how can you compare the 86 to the Legacy in those terms? They're not even close.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #54
Allch Chcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
Only thing I disagreed on. The 86 lead engineers have already stated that the FT-86 platform was built from the ground up specifically for this car.

And honestly, how can you compare the 86 to the Legacy in those terms? They're not even close.
When/where did they say that? I know the engine was ground up but the chassis was based on a shortened version of the legacy platform . Maybe I'm thinking of the franken-prototype.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #55
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
It was stated in one of the vids and press releases ages ago..
The chassis is based on the shortened version yes, but it has nothing to do with it