follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #15
akahenry

Drives: '18 STi
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do more research. Catless header vs Catted Header. Obviously, the Catless header will yield better gains. With the Catless, it'll inevitably be quite a lot louder than a Catted Header. Also, price comes in to factor as well. Not to mention, if you get a Catless Header, you'll need a tune (it's mandatory, unless you don't want your engine to blow up- srs). With the Catted, it's fine to not have a tune, but having a tune on a Catted will be like an extra shielding. In other words, if the cat in the Catted Header, for some reason, malfunction and break, you'll be fine, knowing that you have a tune for extra safety and motor longevity. Also, the Tomei UEL is truely an UEL Header- very rumbly. The FT86 Catted Header is technically considered UEL, but doesn't quite sound as rumbly as you probably think. Other parts of your exhaust can and will affect the rumble of your whole exhaust system, keep that in mind.
akahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #16
calmtigers

Drives: 2014 Whiteout TRD FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I keep saying this but a lot of the volume from header will depend on your catback, my car is actually really quiet because of my perrin resonated CBE. (I have a Tomei uel)
"I love dinosaurs so much that I’ve based my life on burning as much black melted dinosaur flesh as I can on a daily basis...even the screaming sound of prehistoric reptilians being burnt through any of the classic Japanese four cylinders gives me great joy."
calmtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:29 PM   #17
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
I have a Tomei UEL and the rest of the exhaust stock. I love it. Quality of the piece was fantastic, collector was very nice, and the welds were all good. Install was fairly straightforward, although the header has a joint in the middle that allows you to slide the header wider or shorter in order to get the right fitment, and I couldn't get the damn thing to slide. But, after a few taps with a mallet on the flange, it widened up to correct size and I got her bolted up in no time.

Sound is great; it's got the classic burble. With the stock catback it is still fairly quiet when you are cruising. Cold starts are a bit raspy, but you can easily tune that out by adjusting the cold start timing in your map. The car feels hella torquey and has fantastic low end. On my OFT E85 tune, the infamous dip was basically nonexistent and the power band felt very linear. Overall, definitely a purchase that was well worth it, especially considering that it is priced very well.
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
edeekeos (10-14-2014), yo joshman (06-17-2015)
Old 10-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #18
hahaman86

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series #2013
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Anyone have any experience with the tomei uel with a 93 stage 2 tune?
hahaman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #19
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahaman86 View Post
Anyone have any experience with the tomei uel with a 93 stage 2 tune?
I just flashed it yesterday as its beginning to get too cold for ethanol. Doesn't seem too different, but perhaps a little bit less punchy down low. I'll get a better idea in the coming days/weeks though.
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
hahaman86 (10-14-2014)
Old 10-14-2014, 11:58 PM   #20
gabeg86

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by akahenry View Post
Do more research. Catless header vs Catted Header. Obviously, the Catless header will yield better gains. With the Catless, it'll inevitably be quite a lot louder than a Catted Header. Also, price comes in to factor as well. Not to mention, if you get a Catless Header, you'll need a tune (it's mandatory, unless you don't want your engine to blow up- srs). With the Catted, it's fine to not have a tune, but having a tune on a Catted will be like an extra shielding. In other words, if the cat in the Catted Header, for some reason, malfunction and break, you'll be fine, knowing that you have a tune for extra safety and motor longevity. Also, the Tomei UEL is truely an UEL Header- very rumbly. The FT86 Catted Header is technically considered UEL, but doesn't quite sound as rumbly as you probably think. Other parts of your exhaust can and will affect the rumble of your whole exhaust system, keep that in mind.
You do realize that ft86speedfactory makes an un-catted header too right? You shouldn't be telling people to do more research when you need to do more of your own.. And you also make the CEL light problem sound like then engine will explode lol it's just sensing that something is wrong because it doesn't sense a cat. There are defoulers available that correct this issue, but a tune is recommended for any aftermarket header. That's the only time you see the true gains.
Perrin (LWCP) - Blox (shift knob) - HID Powerhouse (LED's and HID's) - Eibach (sportlines) - Muteki (lugs) - SPL (LCA's) - Rays Engineering (57dr's) - Dunlop Direzza ZII (tires) - Greddy (Evo3) - Full Race (turbo kit) - Ecutek (tuned)
gabeg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:04 AM   #21
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeg86 View Post
WTF...?
I thought he was trolling since he would have answers for all of those when he was doing the research to rounded down to the two in the first place, however, I was wrong so it was just a joke, on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeg86 View Post
but a tune is recommended for any aftermarket header.
You may want to troll through most of that thread until people started having cells.
That thing is a much greater compromise, however, its claim that it will eliminate the torque dip appears to be true.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:14 AM   #22
Wise
Circle Work Clerk

Drives: 2012 Mt. Fuji Red Toyota 86 GTS
Garage
I'm planning on buying the Tomei UEL, Tomei Overpipe and Openflash Tablet all at once and installing them as my stage 2 upgrade.

At the moment I've got Takeda Intake and an Invidia Q300.

Planning on leaving the stock front pipe and cat so the sound won't be too over the top.
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:42 AM   #23
Maverickgear

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Who has either?

I have the Tomei UEL header. It's paired with the Greddy CS GTS exhaust system.

What do you like about it?

The build quality looks really good and it brings out the boxer rumble of the FA20. 0 installation issues and no CEL thrown yet. Running it for about 6000 km. Tracked too.

What has better performance gains?

I have yet to tune the engine. Hopefully will be able to commit the time to do it soon.

Which is higher quality?

Can't say much about the FTSpeedfactory one as I have not seen one for myself.

However, I would highly recommend the Tomei one, not against the FTSpeedfactory one but as a general product choice.
Maverickgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maverickgear For This Useful Post:
Krovi (10-16-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 08:21 AM   #24
Kids Heart

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Two of my buddies have Tomei UEL and I have an Open Flash UEL. Openflash might still have some in stock so I would consider them too.
Kids Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #25
NightRaid

Drives: GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickgear View Post
Who has either?

I have the Tomei UEL header. It's paired with the Greddy CS GTS exhaust system.

What do you like about it?

The build quality looks really good and it brings out the boxer rumble of the FA20. 0 installation issues and no CEL thrown yet. Running it for about 6000 km. Tracked too.

What has better performance gains?

I have yet to tune the engine. Hopefully will be able to commit the time to do it soon.

Which is higher quality?

Can't say much about the FTSpeedfactory one as I have not seen one for myself.

However, I would highly recommend the Tomei one, not against the FTSpeedfactory one but as a general product choice.

Do you have a front pipe replaced on your setup with no cats and do you have a video of your setup?
NightRaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #26
904FRSlow

Drives: '13 FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Sorry noob question, but if i go catted, my friend says that eventually the heat from the engine will melt it and make things messy.. Is it true?
904FRSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #27
power_of_ra

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited CBS
I am debating the same thing. from all the videos i've seen, the tomei UEL sounds a little raspy (crappy mics on phones probably but i am not sure) while the FT86 header sounds awesome + it has a cat. People have praised the Tomei a lot so i am in two minds.

I don't know the performance gains between the two, but a tune should eliminate that torque dip regardless of which one we go with.
power_of_ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #28
Maverickgear

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRaid View Post
Do you have a front pipe replaced on your setup with no cats and do you have a video of your setup?
Stock front pipe. Hopefully I can get a clip up soon. Will post it here as soon as possible.
Maverickgear is offline   Reply With Quote