follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-11-2019, 06:59 PM   #29
jslack

Drives: 2017 Red subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well group. It was definitely the toe issue. I was heading back from an event and some rough road or something really caused the toe issue to be a problem and shredded the rear tires good. Car is now headed to a performance shop and getting fixed the right way. This should take care of all the issues.
jslack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jslack For This Useful Post:
maslin (08-12-2019), norcalpb (08-11-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 07:34 PM   #30
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Why on Earth would you want less/zero camber in the rear on a RWD car though?
You do know that the rear has a much better camber curve than the front suspension on these cars, right? You want more front camber than rear for balanced handling, -3* rear is way too much unless you're needing like -4.5* up front.

-3*F/-2.2*R is a pretty solid starting point for track/auto x, if it's a pure street car then -1.5*F/-1*R is a better starting point.

You also know that too much rear camber hurts putting power down right?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (08-12-2019), maslin (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 10:32 AM   #31
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Let me clarify. This sucks.

Totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
0* front camber, -3* rear camber is not a correct alignment. For any reason. Adding a bit of front negative camber with bolts and pulling the rear closer to zero not only looks better, but actually works.

I wouldn’t recommend -4*front, -3* rear camber to a car driven on the street. It just isn’t necessary. [...] Mine, degrees and minutes, not decimals. 1.66* front, 1.38* rear.
Also agree.
I guess I misinterpreted one of the earlier messages as if someone actually wanted to put the rear wheels pretty much vertical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslack View Post
I had my car aligned the next day. The one issue they had with the alignment is the toe for the rear. It’s at -1 degree on each side. I’ll aoon be getting adjustable toe arms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslack View Post
Well group. It was definitely the toe issue. I was heading back from an event and some rough road or something really caused the toe issue to be a problem and shredded the rear tires good. Car is now headed to a performance shop and getting fixed the right way. This should take care of all the issues.
Sorry this happened to you!
It's beyond my imagination why would someone doing alignment return you a car with -1º of toe in the rear if you have LCAs. If I were them I'd probably play with camber to get the toe in spec (so you don't shred your tires) and only once you get adjustable toe arms dial in the camber you want (since re-alignment is going to be needed anyways).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
You do know that the rear has a much better camber curve than the front suspension on these cars, right?
Yup, thanks to the McPherson strut

Quote:
-3* rear is way too much
Totally agree, but we weren't discussing -3º yet when I wrote that message.

Quote:
You want more front camber than rear for balanced handling
Right, so you generally want to do it (and also fight understeer) by adding negative camber in the front.

Quote:
-3*F/-2.2*R is a pretty solid starting point for track/auto x, if it's a pure street car then -1.5*F/-1*R is a better starting point.
If non-parallel wheels actually bother someone much, I'd consider using -2ºish on both axles, which should be possible with camber bolts in the front, assuming there's enough clearance between the wheel and the strut.
Shouldn't be a big issue for a daily driven car, and quite a bit cheaper if you don't have LCAs yet.

Quote:
You also know that too much rear camber hurts putting power down right?
Not that we have enough power for this to actually matter much on straights in the -2.5º...-1º range
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
maslin (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #32
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Also agree.
I guess I misinterpreted one of the earlier messages as if someone actually wanted to put the rear wheels pretty much vertical.
Horses for courses, or however that goes.

Zero or positive camber has it's place, Drift just isn't all that popular on this forum.

One thing everyone agrees on, toe settings really matter. For handling and tire wear especially.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (08-12-2019), timurrrr (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 01:24 PM   #33
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
That latest miata .. is it really drift one? Or does it have some very weird custom suspension? AFAIK most drift cars have mcpherson struts front to easier implement high angle (and often being custom retrofitted for cars that had as stock multilink/double wishbone suspension, eg. GT-Rs, no?), and also most drift cars have highest static negative camber from all the motorsports, to counter dynamic camber change when countersteering during drift, when due opposite wheel turn direction those dynamic camber changes from caster are of detrimental value change direction. If tracked car optimum camber was in -3 to -4, weren't drift car optimums of -4 to -7?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:39 PM   #34
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, those drift FRS/BRZ's definitely have a lot of camber up front...