follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2017, 01:22 PM   #1
LoXodonte

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013 White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best Option for running USB line to Center console \ Arm rest area

Hello, I recently had the Sony XAV-AX100 headunit installed in my 2013 FRS; it requires an apple cable connection to function over carplay. During the initial installation they placed a female USB connection in the glove box, but I'm not liking that setup. I'd prefer to have the cable in the center console area where the cup-holder is. I kinda hate to rely on the creativity of the install guys on this one, the best installs I've had done so far have been printed guides from this forum that I've given to them! Hoping someone here has done something similar and has some suggestions. One thought I had was to replace the Cig lighter plug with a female USB adapter. Thoughts?
LoXodonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoXodonte View Post
Hello, I recently had the Sony XAV-AX100 headunit installed in my 2013 FRS; it requires an apple cable connection to function over carplay. During the initial installation they placed a female USB connection in the glove box, but I'm not liking that setup. I'd prefer to have the cable in the center console area where the cup-holder is. I kinda hate to rely on the creativity of the install guys on this one, the best installs I've had done so far have been printed guides from this forum that I've given to them! Hoping someone here has done something similar and has some suggestions. One thought I had was to replace the Cig lighter plug with a female USB adapter. Thoughts?
If you don't need the power outlet there that is exactly the route to go.

https://www.amazon.com/Foxnovo-Porta.../dp/B00R5W9K3Y
Old 07-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #3
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Why not just replace the factory one in the dash with one that will connect to your sony head unit?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 02:36 PM   #4
LoXodonte

Oh wow thx for the quick responses. I didn't even know that my new Sony would work with 3.5mm lol. Thing is I doubt I'd ever use that functionality with Bluetooth and carplay options available. I like the idea of the USB plug being located in the center arm rest area so I don't have a bunch of cables running from the dash. Also, I am going to install a rocker switch in the location of the stock USB / AUX port on the dash. The waterproof USB options looks pretty awesome except I don't understand how it connects to my Sony. Right now the Sony just has a female USB connector in the glovebox
Old 07-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
jasonojordan

It has a male usb plug that plugs right into the back of your head unit. About as simple as it gets. Under the cover looks just like our factory connections do. A female usb socket and a female 3.5mm headphone socket. So judging by your response you either didn't open the link and look to closely at it or you have no tech experience. Both are fine just need to know what one so I know what I am dealing with here...
Old 07-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #6
all4spl

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Jason can you confirm that it clips into the dash like the factory one or does it need to be mounted a special/different way?
all4spl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:25 PM   #7
LoXodonte

Haha I looked at the link and I have tech experience. In my previous post I tried to explain why your solution isn't ideal for me. It would work but I want my phone located in the cupholder area. I don't want cables running from the dash to the cup holder area. I have a manual plus it looks crappy with wires everywhere. If there is no exact alternative for what I want I may go that route so thx for posting the link.

In addition, I am having the stock in dash USB / AUX connection removed, and fitted with a blank which I will be installing a switch for toggling off lighting.

I like the idea of replacing the Cigarette lighter port with a USB adapter that would run to the stereo, but Tcoats suggestion just looks like a powered USB port with no connection to the stereo. I also know that Carplay is extremely picking about the types of cables used so I'd hate to get something that doesn't work with my Sony.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #8
jasonojordan

Gotcha I missed the part where you didnt want a cable running from the dash to the phone and preferred that cable to be running from the center council to the phone.

Perhaps this would be more of what you would like to use to replace the center council cig lighter then. Does your phone charge via the head units usb? I know my android does with my pioneer. That could be the only downside is slower charging or no charging at all from that port depending on how carplay/sony works.

https://www.amazon.com/USB-Mount-Cab...88E53KV6C0JFDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoXodonte View Post
Haha I looked at the link and I have tech experience. In my previous post I tried to explain why your solution isn't ideal for me. It would work but I want my phone located in the cupholder area. I don't want cables running from the dash to the cup holder area. I have a manual plus it looks crappy with wires everywhere. If there is no exact alternative for what I want I may go that route so thx for posting the link.

In addition, I am having the stock in dash USB / AUX connection removed, and fitted with a blank which I will be installing a switch for toggling off lighting.

I like the idea of replacing the Cigarette lighter port with a USB adapter that would run to the stereo, but Tcoats suggestion just looks like a powered USB port with no connection to the stereo. I also know that Carplay is extremely picking about the types of cables used so I'd hate to get something that doesn't work with my Sony.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #9
jasonojordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4spl View Post
Jason can you confirm that it clips into the dash like the factory one or does it need to be mounted a special/different way?
It does clip in just fine. That is the exact one I used on my swap. The quality of the cover for the ports I found to be subpar as one of the tabs that are used as a hinge broke almost immediately but other then that its a quality replacement.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:30 PM   #10
LoXodonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
Gotcha I missed the part where you didnt want a cable running from the dash to the phone and preferred that cable to be running from the center council to the phone.

Perhaps this would be more of what you would like to use to replace the center council cig lighter then. Does your phone charge via the head units usb? I know my android does with my pioneer. That could be the only downside is slower charging or no charging at all from that port depending on how carplay/sony works.

https://www.amazon.com/USB-Mount-Cab...88E53KV6C0JFDS

Ooo that could work well...I'm not sure on charging I'll have to check later, main thing I'm concerned about is the carplay function working through it. How do I know if my sony head unit will allow a 3.5mm connection? I just assumed that it didn't but didn't thoroughly research. I'd rather have 2 usbs than 1 usb and a 3.5mm if the 3.5mm is dead.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #11
LoXodonte

Looking through Amazon answers, it does not look like that sony supports a 3.5mm aux connection. A single USB cig adapter or double would be great
Old 07-06-2017, 04:56 PM   #12
jasonojordan

Well here is a single

https://www.amazon.com/USB-Panel-Flu...sion+USB+Mount

Not sure if they make a double. If they did I would worry about not being able to get enough power from the head unit to use more then one at a time anyway. That said I do not know if these will work or not with Carplay as I only have ever used Android Auto. On that same hand well they are a whopping $10 to try out before you install it. I find it hard to belive that Apple/CarPlay is that finicky. But then again I guess not since well its apple..
Old 07-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #13
LoXodonte

Perfect, think we're on the right track. Looks like Rerli makes several of those adapters, this one has more reviews and an additional port and verification it works with carplay:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...9O6IRX38&psc=1

Noting your concern, what if I used one port from the head unit, and the other port powered from the CIG plug....except I have no idea what the cig plug connection is.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:14 PM   #14
navanodd

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-tech WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Hey! I've done exactly what you seem to be looking to do.

Firstly, the Sony headunit charges at 1.5A, which is plenty good for me. It only has one USB port and is not compatible with hubs. I could not find any extension adaptors that were setup to allow one USB to connect to a head unit, and another to charge. It didn't seem worth the trouble.

I have a 2013 as well, but the Canadian model had no built-in USB port below the climate controls. If that stock location works for you, this adaptor should allow you to connect it to the Sony head unit:
https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_120TOYU....html?tp=74040

I also didn't want to mount my USB in the glovebox, and since I didn't have the OEM USB port to begin with, I decided to mount a new USB port right above the 12V socket in the cupholder area. I have an armrest over this whole area, so its a covered center console.

I purchased this adaptor:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the installation, I started taking everything apart, assuming that I needed to pull the whole center console piece. Turns out its much easier than that!
  1. Pop out the handbrake boot, essentially just by lifting it straight "up". You do not need to remove it from the handbrake handle.
  2. Pop out the tiny panel just below the console "kneepad". Easiest to try and pull this part directly towards the driver's door.
  3. Use a 1 1/8" holesaw to cut a hole where you want to put the USB port. With the handbrake boot removed, you can see where the drill is going through and can tell it isn't going to hit anything.
  4. Test fit the USB port. I used a pair of scissors to ream the hole open a bit more, as the USB port just a little larger than 1 1/8". I would also suggest using an actual reamer, circular file, or sandpaper to enlarge the hole.
  5. Install the USB port, tightening the plastic nut on the backside. I decided to leave the cover off, as it looked cheap and my center console is covered anyhow.
  6. Run the wire back up to the head unit. You have enough access to make it reach. Make sure you ziptie so that the cable cannot interfere with the handbrake linkage.
  7. I also made sure to ziptie in plently of locations and to use foam closed-cell tape to make sure it didn't rattle.

navanodd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to navanodd For This Useful Post:
jasonojordan (07-07-2017)

Tags
arm rest, carplay, center console, usb, xav-ax100