follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
86SPEED
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #43
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13
 
zigzagz94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Location: charon's ferry
Posts: 888
Thanks: 376
Thanked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
lol. TBH I don't expect to see a factory 350hp version. I think it'd be closer to 320 or something like that. It would be crazy to see, but that would come quicker form the subbie side of the equation or maybe a company like Cosworth, Top Secret, Mines or JUN.
Would I like a 350hp turbo car from the factory...hell yes, but that would totally change the nature and price range of this car. It would put the car in the mid to high $30k usd range with cars like the 370z, EVO, and 5.0 Mustang GT. A 265-275hp Turbo TRD model is right around the same power level of the current WRX which can be had for mid to high $20k, plus it wouldn't have the added expense of the AWD system.

In that scenario you could have the base 170hp model come in at $20k like the article said, a mid range 230hp turbo gt-s at $24k, and a top end 265-275 TRD model in the 27-30k range which is more likely. I don't see the top end FT-86 getting close to 300hp as that would encroach way too much on the STi territory and Subaru won't let that happen even if toyota is calling all the shots. (of course Subie could also stop being little bitches and finally give the STi more power but since that hasn't happened since '04 I don't see them doing it any time soon)

I hope I'm wrong and you're right though because NA 200hp ,Turbo 270hp ,TRD 350+ FT-86 would be awesome.
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #44
DrunkenMime
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Drives: IS300
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 161
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post




^ What he said. I'd take a stab at about 50 net, 30 to the ground, but we are talking about a 2.0L engine, and barely any mods. Not to mention there is no way I'd take of the cat unless the car is being tracked exclusively.



It's coming with an all aluminum 3.2L 3JZ.. didn't you hear?




Fact remains, we do not know how much it will weigh. I don not expect the NA version to weigh less than 2600lbs. I wouldn't expect a turbo version to be much less than 2800lbs.

Under 5.5 s to 60 sounds about right for 260-270hp. That's what I envision for a turbo version. Along with the requisite larger brakes etc.
obviously i'm not a turbo guy....lol

20 hp to the ground is still pretty damn good for easy bolt ons. My point is this: a G35 coupe (pretty heavy car at what? 3300-3400lbs?) get's 0-60 in about 6 secs right? So Toyota already said the FT will weigh between 2700-2800 pounds correct? so subtract 500 pounds from 3400 and maybe 50 hp from 300hp for the FT and I think the it would go 0-60 in sub 6's with 250hp. Probably close to 5.5secs. That's pretty good. imo esp considering the price. You won't need 300hp with the FT to get a great performing coupe...
DrunkenMime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #45
Dark
Elite Padawan
 
Dark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Location: Shoreline, WA
Posts: 3,496
Thanks: 196
Thanked 248 Times in 157 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMime View Post
obviously i'm not a turbo guy....lol

20 hp to the ground is still pretty damn good for easy bolt ons. My point is this: a G35 coupe (pretty heavy car at what? 3300-3400lbs?) get's 0-60 in about 6 secs right? So Toyota already said the FT will weigh between 2700-2800 pounds correct? so subtract 500 pounds from 3400 and maybe 50 hp from 300hp for the FT and I think the it would go 0-60 in sub 6's with 250hp. Probably close to 5.5secs. That's pretty good. imo esp considering the price. You won't need 300hp with the FT to get a great performing coupe...
According to a FT-86's clip on GT5, FT-86 gets Boxer with D-4S( more power, and more fuel efficient). The NA engine should produce at lease close to 200hp if not over 200hp. The important thing I want to know is how much power will the MT in FT-86 can handle.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #46
fernan2
Senior Member
 
fernan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Drives: Wrx
Location: puerto rico
Posts: 374
Thanks: 49
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
im very, very, veryyy sure that 180hp is the max hp we are getting from a factory version N/A boxer engine. just wait and see.
fernan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #47
ichitaka05
Site Moderator
 
ichitaka05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Drives: ichi 86 Project
Location: Middle of No where
Posts: 18,095
Thanks: 5,409
Thanked 13,631 Times in 6,321 Posts
Mentioned: 551 Post(s)
Tagged: 25 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post
Would I like a 350hp turbo car from the factory...hell yes, but that would totally change the nature and price range of this car. It would put the car in the mid to high $30k usd range with cars like the 370z, EVO, and 5.0 Mustang GT. A 265-275hp Turbo TRD model is right around the same power level of the current WRX which can be had for mid to high $20k, plus it wouldn't have the added expense of the AWD system.

In that scenario you could have the base 170hp model come in at $20k like the article said, a mid range 230hp turbo gt-s at $24k, and a top end 265-275 TRD model in the 27-30k range which is more likely. I don't see the top end FT-86 getting close to 300hp as that would encroach way too much on the STi territory and Subaru won't let that happen even if toyota is calling all the shots. (of course Subie could also stop being little bitches and finally give the STi more power but since that hasn't happened since '04 I don't see them doing it any time soon)

I hope I'm wrong and you're right though because NA 200hp ,Turbo 270hp ,TRD 350+ FT-86 would be awesome.
Cuz rule of WRC. You can't have more than 300hp (iirc). You can have ridiculous amount of tq, but not hp. They're limited to 300hp. If STI really want to, they can push their boxer engine push over 350hp easy. Look at S2xx series, specially S204 had 2L engine and STI did minor tuning inside the engine and it's pushing 320hp. If they do full engine tune, in&out, re-map, bigger turbo or higher PSi, it can push well over 400hp with 2L engine. Think bout doin' that to US 2.5L engine how much more tq and hp gonna have.
__________________
ichitaka05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #48
2jz-gte4life
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Drives: 1995 Toyota Supra
Location: Toronto
Posts: 62
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernan2 View Post
im very, very, veryyy sure that 180hp is the max hp we are getting from a factory version N/A boxer engine. just wait and see.


How are you this sure, do you have some deep sources?

If so, please do share that with us.

Anyways, no it will not be 180 hp because this will not be the same 2.0 boxer engine, it will be a redesigned high revving engine. Their mark is to get at least 200 hp. Just wait and see,
__________________
2jz-gte4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #49
CyberFormula
Senior Member
 
CyberFormula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Drives: gti, nsx, integra type r,porsche911
Location: garage
Posts: 536
Thanks: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
When i read the many posts that mention how Subaru doesn't give an upgrade on their new 2011 STI's power....I chuckle.

Look how many boy racers who know nothing about circuit racing or rallying is easily pointed out.
CyberFormula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #50
fernan2
Senior Member
 
fernan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Drives: Wrx
Location: puerto rico
Posts: 374
Thanks: 49
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jz-gte4life View Post

no it will not be 180 hp because this will not be the same 2.0 boxer engine, it will be a redesigned high revving engine. Their mark is to get at least 200 hp. Just wait and see,
How are you this sure, do you have some deep sources?

If so, please do share that with us.
fernan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #51
Dark
Elite Padawan
 
Dark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Location: Shoreline, WA
Posts: 3,496
Thanks: 196
Thanked 248 Times in 157 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernan2 View Post
How are you this sure, do you have some deep sources?

If so, please do share that with us.
No. he doesn't, but there are some informations in Toyota French website.

Quote:
Sports car focused on the driver
Front engine, RWD
2.0 L gasoline engine at high rpm
Lightweight, compact and agile
Toyota's sporting heritage
4 Places
Length: 4.160 mm
Width: 1.760 mm
Height: 1 260mm
I used google chrome to translate this:

Quote:
Voiture de sport focalisé sur le conducteur
Moteur à l'avant, propulsion
Moteur essence 2.0 L à régime élevé
Légère, compacte et agile
Héritage sportif de Toyota
4 Places
Longueur : 4,160mm
Largeur : 1,760mm
Hauteur : 1 260mm
Source: http://www.toyota.fr/innovation/desi..._86/index.aspx

Last edited by Dark; 04-06-2010 at 08:41 PM. Reason: add source
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:29 AM   #52
CyberFormula
Senior Member
 
CyberFormula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Drives: gti, nsx, integra type r,porsche911
Location: garage
Posts: 536
Thanks: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
8k rpm...its all I ask..

Doesn't the Altezza rev to 8k?
CyberFormula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:32 AM   #53
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
Location: Columbus, IN
Posts: 1,249
Thanks: 29
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
why do some of you people think that boxers are inherently inefficient?????????

-Mike
__________________
1991 MR2 Turbo - 2.1L high compression stroker 3SGTE
2006 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road - All-Pro front bumper, Old Man Emu shocks, Old Man Emu HD front coils, All-Pro leafs
1990 240SX Coupe - sold
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #54
Matador
hashiryu
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Drives: Mk4 Supra
Location: Probably mucking around in an engine bay
Posts: 2,567
Thanks: 18
Thanked 37 Times in 20 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Cuz rule of WRC. You can't have more than 300hp (iirc). You can have ridiculous amount of tq, but not hp. They're limited to 300hp. If STI really want to, they can push their boxer engine push over 350hp easy. Look at S2xx series, specially S204 had 2L engine and STI did minor tuning inside the engine and it's pushing 320hp. If they do full engine tune, in&out, re-map, bigger turbo or higher PSi, it can push well over 400hp with 2L engine. Think bout doin' that to US 2.5L engine how much more tq and hp gonna have.
Yup. Exactly. For example, The Celica GT4 had around "300"hp (honestly more like 350) but close to 600 ft/lbs of torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jz-gte4life View Post
How are you this sure, do you have some deep sources?

If so, please do share that with us.

Anyways, no it will not be 180 hp because this will not be the same 2.0 boxer engine, it will be a redesigned high revving engine. Their mark is to get at least 200 hp. Just wait and see,
He's got jack shit. 200hp or bust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NESW20 View Post
why do some of you people think that boxers are inherently inefficient?????????

-Mike


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMime View Post
obviously i'm not a turbo guy....lol

20 hp to the ground is still pretty damn good for easy bolt ons. My point is this: a G35 coupe (pretty heavy car at what? 3300-3400lbs?) get's 0-60 in about 6 secs right? So Toyota already said the FT will weigh between 2700-2800 pounds correct? so subtract 500 pounds from 3400 and maybe 50 hp from 300hp for the FT and I think the it would go 0-60 in sub 6's with 250hp. Probably close to 5.5secs. That's pretty good. imo esp considering the price. You won't need 300hp with the FT to get a great performing coupe...
@200hp/2600lbs it'd be good for 0-60 mid 6 sec range. ~260/2800lbs is easily good for sub 6 second times, see S2000, but considered a lot more torque form a turbo motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post
Would I like a 350hp turbo car from the factory...hell yes, but that would totally change the nature and price range of this car. It would put the car in the mid to high $30k usd range with cars like the 370z, EVO, and 5.0 Mustang GT. A 265-275hp Turbo TRD model is right around the same power level of the current WRX which can be had for mid to high $20k, plus it wouldn't have the added expense of the AWD system.

In that scenario you could have the base 170hp model come in at $20k like the article said, a mid range 230hp turbo gt-s at $24k, and a top end 265-275 TRD model in the 27-30k range which is more likely. I don't see the top end FT-86 getting close to 300hp as that would encroach way too much on the STi territory and Subaru won't let that happen even if toyota is calling all the shots. (of course Subie could also stop being little bitches and finally give the STi more power but since that hasn't happened since '04 I don't see them doing it any time soon)

I hope I'm wrong and you're right though because NA 200hp ,Turbo 270hp ,TRD 350+ FT-86 would be awesome.

Why do people figure that a 2 door lightweight coupe is going to compete with a 4 door homologation special sedan?

Anyway, as i was saying, "speed is expensive, how fast are you willing to spend?"

+300hp in a 2800lb car would put it the $30k range, but honestly, how much do you expect to spend on a TRD/STi car? +300hp would also make it spank, nay, RAPE any of the cars you mentioned, especially if it weighs 2800lbs in that trim and is as balanced as the NA car (Being TRD you'd expect it to be).
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #55
enc0re
Senior Member
 
enc0re's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Drives: BMW 325i (E46)
Location: Michigan
Posts: 258
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'd rather the car cost $20K than have 200hp.
enc0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #56
Matador
hashiryu
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Drives: Mk4 Supra
Location: Probably mucking around in an engine bay
Posts: 2,567
Thanks: 18
Thanked 37 Times in 20 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enc0re View Post
I'd rather the car cost $20K than have 200hp.

You just might be lucky
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FT-86 -- daily driver, weekend car, or garage queen? My86 Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 90 05-28-2012 12:28 AM
Autoweek article on Toyota G's FT-86 G Sport Concept (March 8, 2010) Kenji Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 2 03-12-2010 06:09 PM
FT-86 Competition / Track model mentioned in EVO Car Of The Year Issue Axel Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 132 03-07-2010 11:33 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.