follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
Grimlock

Drives: BRZ and NA
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Subaru TPMS Nonsense

The BRZ would be my first Subaru with TPMS ( My '05 LGT didn't have it). I read this section in the Owner's Manual:

Quote:
Registering ID codes (vehicles with a tire pressure warning system)

The tire pressure warning valve and transmitter is equipped with a unique ID code. When replacing a tire pressure warning valve and transmitter, it is necessary to register the ID code. Have the ID code registered by your SUBARU dealer.
With a little bit of sleuthing, I have determined that this is a common thing with Subarus. Every time you change TPMS sensors (such as having 2 sets of wheels/tires) you have to re-register the TPMS sensors with the car.

I plan of having 2 to 3 sets of wheels and tires for the car (Winter/ Summer/ stock), and I really don't want to have to go back to the dealer twice a year just to get the TPMS recoded ( and I really don't like blinky lights in my instrument panel).

Is there someone here with a more current Subaru that has dealt with this issue? Is there a tool I can buy to re-encode the TPMS in the comfort of my own garage? I saw someone who bought a spare TPMS computer to go with a second set of whhels on legacygt.com. Is that the only solution?
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There are some TPMS programming devices out there. The good thing about the TPMS system in Subarus is that it can be programmed via the OBD-II port.

That said, if you're ok with maintaining your tire pressures the old fashioned way, you can just put up with the little light on your dash.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
ATEQ Quickset tool is an affordable solution for programming TPMS sensors. Some people report having problems with it but mine works great.
neutron256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
grst1

Drives: '94 Ford Aspire
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I would rather not have TPMS at all. It is really for general public who don't have a clue what tire pressure is....
I check my tire pressures routinely, and never run TPMS in the wheels anyways. Light is annoying though.

What bothers me the most is the fact that they have TPMS but don't show the actual pressures in each tire on the dash in 99% of the cars, even though the info is basically there.... Would have been so useful on the track!
I was blown away when Impala rental had those pressures right on the dash. Great - very useful in THAT car!
grst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grst1 For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (10-07-2013)
Old 03-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
engee

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I have owned a recent Subaru and I don't find it to be a big deal. I run a set of winters and the only thing that happens is that you see a light on your dash. That's about it. If you can live with that, problem solved.
engee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
(K)
They call me..."Ken"...

Drives: '04 Accord V6 MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
One solution is to buy a second set of sensors. A PITA but it's cheaper than having the tires unmounted, sensors removed and installed on new wheels, programmed, and tires remounted, balanced, etc.
(K) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
One solution is to buy a second set of sensors. A PITA but it's cheaper than having the tires unmounted, sensors removed and installed on new wheels, programmed, and tires remounted, balanced, etc.
But unless you have the tool you still need to have someone reprogram the sensors on many cars. Some have a way you can do it without a tool, but not many.
neutron256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
Grimlock

Drives: BRZ and NA
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by engee View Post
I have owned a recent Subaru and I don't find it to be a big deal. I run a set of winters and the only thing that happens is that you see a light on your dash. That's about it. If you can live with that, problem solved.
I can't live with the blinking light on the dashboard. To me, it's like a smack in the face every time I drive the car. If you can live with it, it saves a lot of aggravation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post

Having a second set of sensors is fine, but you still will need to get those sensors programmed to the car somehow, or the car won't even know they are there. That's the problem.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
engee

Drives: Subaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
I can't live with the blinking light on the dashboard. To me, it's like a smack in the face every time I drive the car. If you can live with it, it saves a lot of aggravation.
It's not a blinking light. It's just a light that is on. It blinks when you first start your car and then it just becomes a steady lit light. It really isn't too bad.

That little light there is all it is. You can also dim it just like you dim your dash lights.

Hope this helps!
engee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
(K)
They call me..."Ken"...

Drives: '04 Accord V6 MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I see what you're saying. Then I believe the best solution would be to buy a device that allows you to set the frequency of the sensors each time, as mentioned earlier. I'm not sure how the BRZ will work, but my friend's G37 sedan only recognizes 1 set of frequencies at a time. My suggestion to buy a second or third set of sensors would only solve the issue of having to mount and remount a tire/wheel combo.

Remember when you could mount wheels and tires without having to worry about a dash light coming on?
(K) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Nonsense indeed! But 2012 is 2012 so we will just have to live with it. Some of the consumer products can cure this issue fortunately. Another thing the car could have done without in my opinion.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #12
Fenrir

Drives: Mazdaspeed 3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Strange that they need to be reprogrammed for Subaru. The TPMS in my Speed3 picks up any TPMS sensors in a 30 foot radius, it seems. It's amusing, since my wheels don't have TPMS if I'm driving on the highway next to someone who does, the light on my dash turns off until they go out of range :P

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
Nonsense indeed! But 2012 is 2012 so we will just have to live with it. Some of the consumer products can cure this issue fortunately. Another thing the car could have done without in my opinion.
It's a government mandated safety feature, wasn't Subaru or Toyota's choice to put it in.
Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
Strange that they need to be reprogrammed for Subaru. The TPMS in my Speed3 picks up any TPMS sensors in a 30 foot radius, it seems. It's amusing, since my wheels don't have TPMS if I'm driving on the highway next to someone who does, the light on my dash turns off until they go out of range :P
That's probably the precise reason Subaru requires a unique ID; so your car doesn't falsely display TPMS data transmitted from other cars.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #14
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
BTW, how much does the stealership charge to reprogram the TPMS sensor anyway? Is it nominal? If it is, then it shouldn't be something that's a HUGE pita. No?
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote