follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 12-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #57
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by justatroll View Post
For those that think the US govt. will allow the energy density of Li-Ion batteries to get much higher than it is now.....

YOU are high.
The Li-Ion battery of a laptop already carries the equivalent energy of a hand grenade, do you think that the govt. will allow it to get much better than that?

Training at work for Li-Ion battery handling.

They made us watch this:

That was ONE to THREE AA sized cells that caused that.
There was only superficial damage to the surrounding cells.
Meanwhile, the energy equivalent of one gallon of gasoline is...?
Old 12-08-2016, 01:24 PM   #58
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
One gallon of pure gasoline weighs 6lbs and is the equivalent of 33.4kWh. E10 (which is what most of us run) is 32.7kWh. Other blends will impact the rating.

Wikipedia has a decent chart showing this.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #59
justatroll

Drives: Full race 4cyl boxer
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
And there is a reason that they won't let you take a gallon of gasoline on an airplane or into a court building.
I could be more clear: the govt will not let the energy density of li-ion batteries get much bigger without severely limiting where you can take the devices.
Leonardo (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #60
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life

Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Thanked 5,291 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
And there is a reason that they won't let you take a gallon of gasoline on an airplane or into a court building.
I could be more clear: the govt will not let the energy density of li-ion batteries get much bigger without severely limiting where you can take the devices.
Trust me, they all ready have. Just read through the IATA shipping manual. Or look at USPS restrictions on shipping batteries.
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leonardo For This Useful Post:
justatroll (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 02:35 PM   #61
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
Trust me, they all ready have. Just read through the IATA shipping manual. Or look at USPS restrictions on shipping batteries.
Meanwhile an electric powered plane just set a new time to climb record.

Here's a look at the plane.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_9-V73nT1k"]Siemens's Electric Extra 330 Aircraft - YouTube[/ame]

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (12-08-2016), Ultramaroon (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 02:58 PM   #62
WolfpackS2k

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Sure, but the government could place limits on energy density of a Li-ion battery for a small portable device, while at the same time not regulating their applications with automobiles. Because on that sort of scale, it's not an issue.

It wasn't that I didn't know how much energy a gallon of gasoline has - proving the point about lack of security threat given application and size.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:16 PM   #63
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Meanwhile an electric powered plane just set a new time to climb record.

Here's a look at the plane.

Shit's about to get real.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:20 PM   #64
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
When the topic is 'energy density, fuels and distribution'.. the answers are complicated and very interesting.

When the topic is 'identifying the core driver of pollution that impact climate' the answer is simple yet never ever mentioned.

A human being is the single largest carbon emitter and the simple answer is that 85% of us have got to go. #jokingnotjoking

If people were really interesting in reducing their carbon footprint, they would refrain from reproduction.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:34 PM   #65
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
There's another factor that fits into this discussion that will hit at some point when talking costs. Highway taxes.

Right now, part of the reason electricity looks cheaper is because its getting a free ride, literally. Wet fuel cars are still paying for roads electron fueled cars are driving on. When electrics hit the point where they are a significant number, that will have to change. Either your power bill will go up, or they will convert all modes of transportation to some type of usage tax based on miles driven.

The average in the US is around $0.48 per gallon but it varies by state. Note the rate shown doesn't include the Federal $0.1840 per gallon.

I'm all for alternative fuels, but you need to have a level playing field.

To be fair, 99% of road wear is caused by heavy trucking. That's the real villain if you want to talk about a free ride, not a small number of light passenger cars that are avoiding a couple hundred dollars in road taxes every year.

Quote:
I hate to be the one to explain this, but particulate pollution, like what you can get from diesel exhaust, especially outside of the US (which has the strictest standard), is by far considerably worse than as you put it, the smaller emission compounds we're not seeing. There are proven direct links connecting particulate pollution to respiratory ailments and cancer. Meanwhile a properly functioning modern gasoline powered automobile emits CO2, water vapor and trace amounts of CO - none of which are harmful to humans.

I'm not talking about C02 and water vapor. I'm talking about particle size. The "black soot" that you can see is what everyone makes a big deal out of but it is relatively easy for the lungs to clean out, if they even make it there to begin with without being caught by mucous or nostril hairs.

Also, a gasoline engine does not emit only what you listed. It isn't by coincidence that a large percentage of the compounds they emit are the same or similar to the air that they suck in to begin with. However, it is a non-argument to assume that because what went in came back out (which has to happen by the way), that nothing else came from what was injected in from the fuel lines. Assuming that the product as a whole is safe to breathe because it is mostly made up of the same compounds as clean air is similarly flawed.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:49 PM   #66
justatroll

Drives: Full race 4cyl boxer
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
When the topic is 'energy density, fuels and distribution'.. the answers are complicated and very interesting.

When the topic is 'identifying the core driver of pollution that impact climate' the answer is simple yet never ever mentioned.

A human being is the single largest carbon emitter and the simple answer is that 85% of us have got to go. #jokingnotjoking

If people were really interesting in reducing their carbon footprint, they would refrain from reproduction.
I have been heard recently saying:
"There is NO shortage of humans on this planet"
"What challenges are there that humanity needs to solve that require more humans? Were not building pyramids manually!"

And- "The best thing for this planet right now would be one third the current number of humans"

Some people would call you Hitler for making those claims.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:51 PM   #67
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
To be fair, 99% of road wear is caused by heavy trucking. That's the real villain if you want to talk about a free ride, not a small number of light passenger cars that are avoiding a couple hundred dollars in road taxes every year.

Yes, but heavy trucking also pays a large % of the road taxes so it's not apples to apples. In addition, I did say when the electrics get to significant enough numbers so they do make a difference. Right now they don't but if some have their way, they will and that's when changes will have to be made.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:12 PM   #68
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:

Some people would call you Hitler for making those claims.
I suppose, however the credit for the 85% comment goes to a comedian.. I forget if it was Bill Burr or Louis CK. Big fans of both but the standup piece essentially alluded to what you said.. Making a comment like that will probably get you painted with the same brush as Hitler.
justatroll (12-11-2016), Ultramaroon (12-11-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 09:52 AM   #69
WolfpackS2k

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post

I'm not talking about C02 and water vapor. I'm talking about particle size. The "black soot" that you can see is what everyone makes a big deal out of but it is relatively easy for the lungs to clean out, if they even make it there to begin with without being caught by mucous or nostril hairs.

Also, a gasoline engine does not emit only what you listed. It isn't by coincidence that a large percentage of the compounds they emit are the same or similar to the air that they suck in to begin with. However, it is a non-argument to assume that because what went in came back out (which has to happen by the way), that nothing else came from what was injected in from the fuel lines. Assuming that the product as a whole is safe to breathe because it is mostly made up of the same compounds as clean air is similarly flawed.
Quote:
Particulate matter (PM), also known as particle pollution, is a complex mixture of extremely small particles and liquid droplets that get into the air. Once inhaled, these particles can affect the heart and lungs and cause serious health effects.
Straight from the EPA's website on the subject: https://www.epa.gov/pm-pollution

I will admit that direct fuel injection has changed the game a bit for gasoline engines. Makes them more like diesel engines, with actual soot being produced in small amounts (compared to diesel) but greater than a conventional gasoline engine. Hence the black soot seen around exhaust pipes of lots of new cars owned by lazy drivers (that don't wash their cars). My previous comments didn't really apply to them.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:46 AM   #70
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Straight from the EPA's website on the subject: https://www.epa.gov/pm-pollution

I will admit that direct fuel injection has changed the game a bit for gasoline engines. Makes them more like diesel engines, with actual soot being produced in small amounts (compared to diesel) but greater than a conventional gasoline engine. Hence the black soot seen around exhaust pipes of lots of new cars owned by lazy drivers (that don't wash their cars). My previous comments didn't really apply to them.

The thing you quoted says "extremely small". We are talking about the same thing here. The large ones that you can see settle out very quickly and usually don't make it into your lungs. It seems we are in agreement that the tiny ones that they're talking about are the real problem.

Quote:
Yes, but heavy trucking also pays a large % of the road taxes so it's not apples to apples. In addition, I did say when the electrics get to significant enough numbers so they do make a difference. Right now they don't but if some have their way, they will and that's when changes will have to be made.

They are subject to the same taxes on fuel as everyone else. They pay more by way of driving more and getting worse fuel economy but they still aren't paying their fair share to make up for the amount of wear they are causing.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote