follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2015, 07:32 PM   #1
btoast

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking The Best (IMO) OFT Mounting Solution for around $25

Hello everyone,

I've seen many people post OFT mounting ideas to the forum. Many involved suction cups or double sided tape or just got in the way.

So I looked for an cheap, easily removable, and out of the way solution that remained insight. I believe I have discovered the best way to mount your OFT.

Here is a semi finished product:

The only thing left that I need to do is install some command cord clips to hold down the cable. I thought I had some, but I could not find them.

What you need:

1 - Serious Sat. Radio Vent Clip for the Onyx Receiver

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Profile-Female-Extension-Cable/dp/B00KYH9COE/ref=sr_1_2?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1431817138&sr=8-2&keywords=flat+obdII+extension+1%27"]1 - Flat, Low Profile 12" OBDII Extension Cable[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Command-Medium-Picture-Hanging-Strips-6-Strip/dp/B000M3YGOQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1431817376&sr=8-2&keywords=command+picture+frame+hanging+strips+me dium"]1 - Pack Medium Command Velcro Picture Hanging Strips[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Command-Small-Clips-Clear-8-Clip/dp/B0084M696K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431817481&sr=8-1&keywords=command+cable+clips"]1 - Pack Small Clear Command Cable Clips[/ame]

The install is really simple.

1) Remove the back arm of the mount and swap the top short arms with the included long ones.
2) Use the Command picture strips to attach the OFT to the vent mount.
3) Connect the OFT cable and the OBDII extension cable together.
4) Connect the OBDII extension cable to car.
5) Connect OFT cable to OFT.
6) Slide mounted OFT into vent
7) Use Command cable clips to manage cables.
8) Shove remaining cable in cubby behind steering wheel and use cable clips/command picture strips to hold it down.

Things I noticed while installing:

The back of the top fin on the vent is rounded (the second and third are somewhat flat but shorter--they are too short for the long mount arms and too long for the short mount arms).Since it is rounded the clips do not hook on but the pressure holds everything in place. I drove around as I normally would and do not see any real issues with it falling out. Once I get the Command cable clips I will go for a hard drive and see how well it holds up.

Also, I'm going to install some felt to the inside of the mount clips. I noticed that it will leave small light scratches on the fins. Some felt will stop that.
btoast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btoast For This Useful Post:
SkyeHack (04-18-2018)

Tags
oft, oft mounting