follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
FiRStscion

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Break in Y/N ?

Hey guys,
Going to be getting a FRS in a couple weeks and always was curious about the break in. Is it necessary? I've done some research and there is a lot of mixed things being said about it. Some say do it for the first 1k, some say 3k. Some say dont rev past 3k RPM and some say make sure u rev up to 6-7k RPM's here and there during break in. And some say that a break in is not even required because of the fact that all new cars have their engines broken in at the factory. Wanted to get some good feedback as i would like to take care of my car and make sure it's being treated right! thanks guys!
FiRStscion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FiRStscion For This Useful Post:
applekash (07-07-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
Weeber

Drives: BRZ
Break-in's are a controversial topic. Some say new vehicles come broken in but most user manuals will still encourage you to vary RPMs and keep under 4k.

But by no means baby the car or you may have ring seal problems later on.

I would probably drive normally but keeping it under 4k and not keep rpms constant for the first 1000Miles/1600Kms
Weeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #3
encity5

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
yea, i heard a lot of mixed things as well.

I just assumed its safe to follow the people who made the car and wrote in the manual to follow the break in procedure.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
marky

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS #54
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
in the factory they run the engines and make sure they are running well. they will drive it around in like a test run lane make sure everything is working fine..

when you have a new car freshly built the engine will need time to break in and let the seals set and the internals wear right due to the engine is now having to push more load internal tranny/rear diff/the load of the car due to day to day driving...plus they full tank your car. kind of wish they didnt do that to mine i wanted half tank to keep the load light as possible..

its like buying a new baseball gloves they work better once its been broken in..

a good break in will make a engine very happy and last a very long time..

my break in was 1500k then i flushed the oils to make sure i get all that break in gunk out.. then i was having fun its better to be safe then sorry your engine is not running well.. dont go bananas when you get your car the first day.. i know its tempting but treat her right she will reward you with a good strong running engine.

its similar to a rc nitro car.. i use to race them.. didnt do my break in and the engine didnt last and blew up on me
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
FiRStscion

Drives: Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeber View Post
Break-in's are a controversial topic. Some say new vehicles come broken in but most user manuals will still encourage you to vary RPMs and keep under 4k.

But by no means baby the car or you may have ring seal problems later on.

I would probably drive normally but keeping it under 4k and not keep rpms constant for the first 1000Miles/1600Kms
This was most likely what i was probably going to do, just wanted some more solid info on the subject from other FRS owners themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encity5 View Post
yea, i heard a lot of mixed things as well.

I just assumed its safe to follow the people who made the car and wrote in the manual to follow the break in procedure.
what does the manual say, if you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky View Post
in the factory they run the engines and make sure they are running well. they will drive it around in like a test run lane make sure everything is working fine..

when you have a new car freshly built the engine will need time to break in and let the seals set and the internals wear right due to the engine is now having to push more load internal tranny/rear diff/the load of the car due to day to day driving...plus they full tank your car. kind of wish they didnt do that to mine i wanted half tank to keep the load light as possible..

its like buying a new baseball gloves they work better once its been broken in..

a good break in will make a engine very happy and last a very long time..

my break in was 1500k then i flushed the oils to make sure i get all that break in gunk out.. then i was having fun its better to be safe then sorry your engine is not running well.. dont go bananas when you get your car the first day.. i know its tempting but treat her right she will reward you with a good strong running engine.

its similar to a rc nitro car.. i use to race them.. didnt do my break in and the engine didnt last and blew up on me
yeah, i did the same with rc nitro car as well, just i wanted some feedback on an actual car and on my car that i want to care a lot about, how did u drive ur car exactly, if you dont mind me asking?
FiRStscion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
marky

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS #54
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiRStscion View Post
how did u drive ur car exactly, if you dont mind me asking?
i shift under 2/3.. also very easy on the clutch as that needs to break in also..when going into the freeway i get close to 4k rpm... also after i warm up the car i do a little puff puff and rev it to like 1/2/3k.. started to engine break around 800/1000k not all the time once in a while
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
encity5

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Garage
Quote:
I'll need to refer to the manual for the exact wording.
But it says to stay under 4k for the first 1000 miles.
and dont keep long constant RPMs for the first 1000 miles too
Old 07-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
Clembo
'Senior' Junior Member

Drives: 13 FR-S,08 Mustang Bullitt,06 MX-5
Quote:
This was most likely what i was probably going to do, just wanted some more solid info on the subject from other FRS owners themselves.

Manual says pretty much the same thing. Vary RPMs and keep it under 4K except for emergencies. I had a 'few' emergencies as I drove it more. Best to just vary types of driving and RPMs throughout the period. Include some highway travel and don't be afraid to wind it out a few times every now and then. 'Emergencies', you know?

I'm a big believer in doing a little bit of everything for break-in. Only makes sense because that's how you'll be driving in the future. I also don't change my oil too soon. Many dump theirs at 1K but with synthetics and modern oil filters I believe that's too soon. If a change was needed, it would state it in the owner's manual and it doesn't. I believe the initial-fill oil has different additives to help with break-in so you want to keep it in there to at least somewhere between the 'normal' and 'severe' intervals given in the manual. After that you can change it as often as you want, it's your money.

I know many will dispute that but some high-end manufacturers actually warn against changing the initial fill too early.

And the bottom line in my opinion is that no matter what you do, you will probably do no real damage. Despite what some think, modern automobile components are very robust today and can take a licking and keep on ticking. If they weren't, you'd see new cars broken down on the side of the road everywhere. I continue to drive the same as I have for the last 50+ years, have driven over a million miles in that time and have never had a problem aside from a manufacturer's own defects. And you can't help those, they happen occasionally. Not everything is always perfectly made. That's why you have a warranty.

Enjoy your car and don't be too neurotic about it. It's a LOT more fun that way!

"You'll never know if you don't try" - Shinroko Momose
Clembo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Clembo For This Useful Post:
applekash (07-07-2013), hmong337 (07-08-2013), nalc (07-25-2013), Roadliner (07-07-2013), yuicebox (07-07-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Take it to redline as you pull out of the lot. My car seems to be working brilliantly so far.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
I always figured that the people writing the owners manual knew more about the subject than I did so I followed their recommendations.

Last edited by whaap; 07-07-2013 at 02:09 PM.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (07-08-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
oldpueblo

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 #853
Garage
It's my understanding that it's not just for the engine, all the systems need to break in. I'm sticking to what the manual says, that's its job.
oldpueblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #12
PStaff716

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS 6MT
For the first 497 miles I drove it softly, but the last 150 miles or so I've been getting the rpm's up in the 4500-7000 range and really giving her some gas. I know I should've waited another 500 miles or so but I have plans to change the engines internals after this summer driving season, so I wasn't gonna p***y foot around town this whole time..

The car is just screaming to be drivin hard :-)
PStaff716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
jeffchap

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I hit the rev limiter on the test drive. 2000 miles now, trouble free.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
Carwhisperer (07-08-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #14
lbroskee

Drives: 2023 WRB BRZ (MT)
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
break it in how u will drive it, but i don't recomend redlining it all day during that time tho
lbroskee is offline   Reply With Quote