follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #43
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I don't know if this is true or not but I have read that the oil pump doesn't start pumping unless you are in gear and moving? Just sitting there idling isn't allowing the oil to get where it needs to be.

If not true, please feel free to say so.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #44
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoFA20 View Post
My cousin (master tech) says same thing according to him in Europe it's illegal to let your car idle for more than 45 seconds. I guess I'm just used to 10w60 in my BMW lol that stuff takes a minute to warm up lol. But it glides like butter. Thanks for clarifieing :happy0180:

I wish all cars came with oil temp, and oil pressure gauges . As well as volts.
pressure gauge would be the most desired.the other two? not really necessary,
as "normal" operating water temperature will give you enough information about oil temperature as well because if one is running normal,the other one will parallel that normal reading! oil pressure is much more in formative,in that
a sudden drop,or rise in pressure is "always indicative of a "serious" problem,and the gauge will show that instantly so you can pull over and shut off the engine. yeah! 10-60 must be like ''gear oil' consistency upon start up!
never knew the germans required that oil in their new stuff!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #45
CDNFRSGuy

Drives: Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
10 seconds at 20C.
10 seconds at 10C.
10 seconds at 0C.
10 seconds at -10C.
10 seconds at -20C.
And on.
CDNFRSGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CDNFRSGuy For This Useful Post:
Rayme (11-14-2012), Suberman (01-21-2014)
Old 11-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #46
Neziah

Drives: 2013 HotLava FRS, 2005 Legacy
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
I don't know if this is true or not but I have read that the oil pump doesn't start pumping unless you are in gear and moving? Just sitting there idling isn't allowing the oil to get where it needs to be.

Untrue, the oil pump is in the motor, it has nothing to do with "moving". Where ever you read that, throw it away.

I only let mine sit and idle if I can't see out the windows. Just don't use high RPMs until it is fully warmed up.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #47
Young_makaveli

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Damn I let my car sit for 15 mins before driving it cause the destination I'm driving too is not far enough for my engine to completely warm up

Is there any bad side affects if your car doesn't always reach the normal running temperature ?

Also sometimes in the morning I have to move my car cause there is people parked in front of me who leave first

Is it bad to start the car for 15 mins and turn it off right away during winter (-20 degrees Celsius. ) ?

Or am I just better to move my car and turn it off right away instead of waiting 15 mins ?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Young_makaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:58 PM   #48
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
pressure gauge would be the most desired.the other two? not really necessary,
as "normal" operating water temperature will give you enough information about oil temperature as well because if one is running normal,the other one will parallel that normal reading! oil pressure is much more in formative,in that
a sudden drop,or rise in pressure is "always indicative of a "serious" problem,and the gauge will show that instantly so you can pull over and shut off the engine. yeah! 10-60 must be like ''gear oil' consistency upon start up!
never knew the germans required that oil in their new stuff!
Oil temperature is more useful in practice. I've never owned a car that ever had an oil pressure problem. That's over 1m km and more than 20 cars. Never.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #49
Suberman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post

Not true. The oil pump starts pumping when the starter motor runs. Before the engine fires the oil pump is delivering oil pressure. The only time the engine runs without any oil pressure is right after you change the oil which is one reason you should change the oil as little as permitted.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:01 PM   #50
Suberman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_makaveli View Post
Damn I let my car sit for 15 mins before driving it cause the destination I'm driving too is not far enough for my engine to completely warm up

Is there any bad side affects if your car doesn't always reach the normal running temperature ?

Also sometimes in the morning I have to move my car cause there is people parked in front of me who leave first

Is it bad to start the car for 15 mins and turn it off right away during winter (-20 degrees Celsius. ) ?

Or am I just better to move my car and turn it off right away instead of waiting 15 mins ?

Yes, you should drive long enough to heat up the oil at least once per week if you can. Water condensation contaminates the oil if it never warms up.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #51
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
For me it depends on OAT (outdoor air temp) - today was an especially brutal day for my beater. The tranny fluid was thick and I'm sure the engine oil (while rated for the temp) was probably less fluid than normal. I let it run for almost 4-5 minutes. I always wait for it to drop in RPMs before really going and even then, nothing above 3k RPM. Nice and gentle, stretch itself out and then go once the temps rise.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:04 PM   #52
Suberman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
This probably isn't the right topic for this, but I'm curious about this warm up time. When I first start mine it starts out at about 1100 rpm's, then if I let it idle it goes to about 500-600. Is this an issue? Should it stay around 1k?
No, the engine ECU is programmed to drop the cold fast idle as soon as possible.

Just start the engine and drive off. Respect the rings while the engine warms up. The upper cylinders are just splash lubricated and cold oil doesn't splash as much as warm oil. Also, until the pistons warm up the ring clearance is slightly larger then after warm up. This takes about five minutes with modern cooling systems.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #53
Traveltheworld

Drives: Grey fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neziah View Post
Untrue, the oil pump is in the motor, it has nothing to do with "moving". Where ever you read that, throw it away.

I only let mine sit and idle if I can't see out the windows. Just don't use high RPMs until it is fully warmed up.
Agreed. I don't sit and idle ever. Just keep the revs below 4000 rpm. Below 40* degrees maybe a minute idling. Look at bmw M cars like the m3 or m5 where there are red lights above 3 or 4k rpm and they slowly go away as the car warms up.
Traveltheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #54
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suberman View Post
No, the engine ECU is programmed to drop the cold fast idle as soon as possible.

Just start the engine and drive off. Respect the rings while the engine warms up. The upper cylinders are just splash lubricated and cold oil doesn't splash as much as warm oil. Also, until the pistons warm up the ring clearance is slightly larger then after warm up. This takes about five minutes with modern cooling systems.
Whoa, that's an old post to quote. I guess while I'm here though I can bring something else. Now instead of 1100 to 500, it starts at close to 2000 and drops to only 1500. It's been having some starting issues with all this cold weather lately so it's going to the dealership and hopefully they'll look at the camshaft position sensor TSB.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:56 PM   #55
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_makaveli View Post

DANG, Young_makaveli, you're over thinking stuff again ....

Just do what needs to be done ..... your car will survive.

However, like @Suberman says, it's always best, when starting a car, to run it till it reaches full operating temperature.

That's not always possible .... so, don't fret over it ...
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #56
Young_makaveli

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
DANG, Young_makaveli, you're over thinking stuff again ....

Just do what needs to be done ..... your car will survive.

However, like @Suberman says, it's always best, when starting a car, to run it till it reaches full operating temperature.

That's not always possible .... so, don't fret over it ...
Lol humfrz you must be annoyed seeing me post about my car haha

Young_makaveli is offline   Reply With Quote