follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #15
bkblitzed
is better than you

Drives: 2013 raven FRS
Thanked 1,347 Times in 745 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutfilling View Post
I've never considered the V3 a "performance" oriented coilover. I saw V3s are a good street coilover. The R2s are a little bit harsher on the street but offer the adjustment range. Street vs track. twin-tube vs monotube. apples to oranges.
v3's held up better than i expected on my tack/autox days in my STi.
bkblitzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #16
kosoku

Drives: 2013 fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkblitzed View Post
v3's held up better than i expected on my tack/autox days in my STi.
Even still, just because they held up doesn't make them a performance coil over. I'm not saying their bad....they're not! Just the R2 is built for the track, V3 is designed for the street.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #17
d1ck

Drives: Black 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm on KW's with Com C top mount and I can get up to 4 deg negative camber with the smaller bolts in the top holes.
d1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #18
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1ck View Post
I'm on KW's with Com C top mount and I can get up to 4 deg negative camber with the smaller bolts in the top holes.
Good to know. I have those top mounts sitting in a box at home!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosoku View Post
Even still, just because they held up doesn't make them a performance coil over. I'm not saying their bad....they're not! Just the R2 is built for the track, V3 is designed for the street.
How do you define coilovers built for the track and coilovers built for the street? Legit question.

Is it the spring rates the dampers are capable of handling, the included camber plates, the price point? You could technically use "street" coilovers on the track. I'm not so sure if there's a clear definition between coilovers built for the track vs street.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #20
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
How do you define coilovers built for the track and coilovers built for the street? Legit question.

Is it the spring rates the dampers are capable of handling, the included camber plates, the price point? You could technically use "street" coilovers on the track. I'm not so sure if there's a clear definition between coilovers built for the track vs street.
I think other people in this thread were using mono tube shock vs twin tube to distinguish.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #21
ayau

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
I think other people in this thread were using mono tube shock vs twin tube to distinguish.
Probably not a good indicator.

The JRZ RS uses twintube technology.

http://counterspacegarage.com/produc...s-brz-frs.html

These aren't less "track" orientated than some 3k monotube damper.

It's almost like describing what a sports car is. Everyone has their own definition of what a sports car is.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #22
Squishy

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
One difference with the KW V3 vs R2's is the spring design chosen.

KW uses a progressive spring so it limts some choices on after market springs and valving settings. This is why the RCE Tarmac has linear springs (revalved adaptation of the KW V3 that is more track oriented).

It is just a matter of subtle choices in the design.

I think people are correct here in asking you about your goals since you already have the KW V3's if you only need more camber then there are other options. IF you need more adjustment options for more serious racing then the world opens up and you should indeed ask more questions.

I have the R2's and they are much better on the street after the update as this was their main weakness. The valving and spring rates out of the box seem to work with the off the shelf 275/350 front/rear but are mixed at different rates. This is why I am cautious about custom spring rates without understanding the needs / valving I would want.

Definitely look into a local shop to see if they can work with the R2's before considering them as shipping them off to be rebuilt is fine but not everyone has two sets of shocks to swap out.
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #23
ayau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
One difference with the KW V3 vs R2's is the spring design chosen.

KW uses a progressive spring so it limts some choices on after market springs and valving settings. This is why the RCE Tarmac has linear springs (revalved adaptation of the KW V3 that is more track oriented).

It is just a matter of subtle choices in the design.

I think people are correct here in asking you about your goals since you already have the KW V3's if you only need more camber then there are other options. IF you need more adjustment options for more serious racing then the world opens up and you should indeed ask more questions.

I have the R2's and they are much better on the street after the update as this was their main weakness. The valving and spring rates out of the box seem to work with the off the shelf 275/350 front/rear but are mixed at different rates. This is why I am cautious about custom spring rates without understanding the needs / valving I would want.

Definitely look into a local shop to see if they can work with the R2's before considering them as shipping them off to be rebuilt is fine but not everyone has two sets of shocks to swap out.
I have the updated r2 coilovers with custom 500/600 rates. Honestly I couldn't really tell the difference.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #24
Squishy

They aren't perfect by any means but no coilover truly is.

The softest settings is worlds better than the original setup and is about right if you do not drop the height more than about 1-1.25" over stock. Beyond that I think the spring does not have enough preload and jumps around a bit.

I think ROBISPEC has the better approach to dropping and improving the suspension geometry but that is pretty close to full out race setup and not sure most would be able to live with that on the streets, especially pothole laden pavement.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:27 AM   #25
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

I decided to stay with the V3s. My car is DD and autoX only. I don't take it to the track. I certainly don't want linear springs with how shitty roads are around here.

My season is winding down so I am just going to add camber plates in the spring for next season.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:45 AM   #26
velin86

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Aren't multiple reputable shops and teams using the v3's on their time attack cars? Or are they modified versions of the v3? I'm confused saying they aren't made for the track when damn near every time attack build I see is with v3's.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #27
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
For FRS and BRZ the KWs do use a linear spring, but it is a good bit softer than our RCE T2 clubsports which have 7k/7k spring rates. Definitely more track oriented.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Squishy (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #28
Squishy

Thanks for the correction.