follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
Ammunition

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Strange Paint Damage - Can it be Fixed?

Hi All - I noticed some strange damage to the paint around my side marker shortly after I had my clear side markers replaced.

I feel like the damage occurred during the installation, but I am not quite for what it is - to me, it almost looks like an air bubble in the clear coat, and it extends under both my paint and part of my clear shield. I know that this side marker in particular required quite a big of force, and several tries before it would fit in correctly, so I'm not sure if that is how the damage occurred.

Here are a few images of it - you may or may not be able to tell that it is in both the paint, and also in the paint under the clear shield as the edge of the clear shield is right there (the last picture probably demonstrates this best).

I am doubtful that anything can be done to fix this (short of the non-practical answers such as repainting the front bumper), but I figured I'd ask here before giving up in case someone knows something that I don't, or has had experience with an issue like this.

I apologize for the less-than-ideal image quality - my camera was having a difficult time focusing in on it since the affected area is quite small.

Any helpful insight, or possible solution would be appreciated as this one has been bugging me for a few months now - thank you.

Ammunition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:16 PM   #2
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
touch up paint.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #3
Ammunition

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznatama View Post
touch up paint.
I asked a professional about this, and since it's not actually a chip or anything, this wouldn't work as you would just be putting a gob of paint on top which would just look more or less the same but without the clearness to it. They couldn't' confirm for me exactly what it was though, so I'm wondering if anyone has an idea so I can try to fix it. Is it an air bubble that I can try to get out? etc.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:09 PM   #4
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
it looks like a chip in the pics. If it's on TOP of the paint, use some goo gone to try and remove it, if it's a noticeable indent, probably a chip or imperfection that got clear coated? No idea. last resort alternative is to manually make a chip, then touch up.
Ammunition (01-18-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 07:28 PM   #5
ducky369

Drives: 2014 Frs
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
If it's on top of the paint like a layer, you can try really small dab of thinner
ducky369 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ducky369 For This Useful Post:
Ammunition (01-18-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 01:35 AM   #6
Turbo95eg6

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP LTD
Thanked 2,266 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Is it under the clear bra? Looks as if someone tried to pry it out with a screwdriver.
Turbo95eg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:45 PM   #7
AlexWood

Drives:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have the same issue but directly under my passenger side tail light. It's not very noticeable unless you are actively looking for it so I haven't worried about it much. I'm going to mention it to the dealer once I take it in for my free oil change though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AlexWood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AlexWood For This Useful Post:
Ammunition (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #8
Ammunition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo95eg6 View Post
Is it under the clear bra? Looks as if someone tried to pry it out with a screwdriver.
It's under the paint - most of it is outside of the clear bra, with just a little bit of it bleeding underneath the border of it.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:55 PM   #9
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Whatever it is or was caused by, if it was mine I would be cutting, chipping or somehow be removing it and hitting the spot with touch up paint.
Who knows what nastiness is festering under that!
Old 02-08-2015, 03:40 AM   #10
Drewfellas

Drives: '15 frs Halo. must scrape
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Oh god is that the urethane material that is exposed? It seems like when they took out the side marker that they pulled it out carelessly..... If you can get compensated go for it, but if your going to touch up that's fine. Try avoid repai nting your bumper for this small imperfection.... Wait until it accumulates more. Trust me on this I have so much rock chips and door scrapes on my car from people opening their doors too quickly that I stopped caring after the first repaint... Cars only 7 months old.. Its not like I just got it yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammunition View Post
Hi All - I noticed some strange damage to the paint around my side marker shortly after I had my clear side markers replaced.

I feel like the damage occurred during the installation, but I am not quite for what it is - to me, it almost looks like an air bubble in the clear coat, and it extends under both my paint and part of my clear shield. I know that this side marker in particular required quite a big of force, and several tries before it would fit in correctly, so I'm not sure if that is how the damage occurred.

Here are a few images of it - you may or may not be able to tell that it is in both the paint, and also in the paint under the clear shield as the edge of the clear shield is right there (the last picture probably demonstrates this best).

I am doubtful that anything can be done to fix this (short of the non-practical answers such as repainting the front bumper), but I figured I'd ask here before giving up in case someone knows something that I don't, or has had experience with an issue like this.

I apologize for the less-than-ideal image quality - my camera was having a difficult time focusing in on it since the affected area is quite small.

Any helpful insight, or possible solution would be appreciated as this one has been bugging me for a few months now - thank you.