follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #29
gily25

Drives: Silica BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I wonder if this is only a problem with the Scion headunit. I was able to use the built in equalizer to tune the lows and my rattle went away. Former DJ, I listen to all kinds of music and I only had a problem in the beginning before I tweaked the settings. Anyone on the fence about a new head unit to solve the problem should dive in. *2 cents*
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #30
frslee
Just drive it

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
This rattle is getting worse...!!!

Not only it rattles with volume up, it rattles when I go over bumpy road.

Meh, I still have like 4000 miles until the first free oil change. I might just open up the damn door panel and stuff it with dynamat.
frslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #31
hur1ey02

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Garage
I have a rattle.. but I'm pretty sure mine is related to the window and the seal. It sounds like styrofoam cups squeezing against plastic and it seems to be coming from the rear/top of the window.

hur1ey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #32
BadMoon

Drives: 2014 GLI Autobahn/Nav
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Mine is the plastic and speaker cover. Can I just pull that piece off the door? I tried and it felt like I might break it.
BadMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #33
phloozy

Drives: Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
Maybe I'm crazy, but when I lock the doors it stops, or at least it gets quieter. It does sound like it's coming near the window switches though.
Same here. My door rattles and the second i lock the door it all goes away. Try it out
phloozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #34
Mandy
I came from a motorbike

Drives: Firestorm 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phloozy View Post
Same here. My door rattles and the second i lock the door it all goes away. Try it out
Yeah, I've been doing the same to avoid it, but it bothers me since it's not like the Hondas I've driven in that lock the doors automatically, I have to make a conscious decision to lock them. I might just have them check it out when I go for my oil change. My fear is that by stopping the rattle from the lock they may unleash a different rattle that I often hear others unhappy with.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #35
phloozy

Drives: Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
Yeah, I've been doing the same to avoid it, but it bothers me since it's not like the Hondas I've driven in that lock the doors automatically, I have to make a conscious decision to lock them. I might just have them check it out when I go for my oil change. My fear is that by stopping the rattle from the lock they may unleash a different rattle that I often hear others unhappy with.
O i hate that I have to do it also. Just a "for now" fix
phloozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #36
Cyau

Drives: UltraMarine FRS MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
It's a design flaw no doubt. 2 of my co-workers frs does this (1yr old frs).

Mine does this. (2month old frs)

One guy that I know, his Brz does this (1yr old brz)

I been to the dealer ship, they kept my car for 1 full day and night supposedly "opened my passenger side door and tape down the window switch and put in 'fillers' to the door"
My passenger side door DID got opened since I saw marks of tools abusing my door handle.... but rattle did NOT go away....

The rattle makes some of my music UNLISTENABLE, it sounds like a blown driver on headphones....it is PAINFUL to listen to music like that.....

on modern POP musics, and bass heavy music is alright, but on Jazz musics.... upright bass just KILL it, it rattle sooo much, I feel like my door is going to fall apart....

Just like most of you guys here, I only listen my music at moderate level, around 15-20 on local streets, 20+ on freeways, and it rattle at all level, unless I put my bass level at -3 or less, and turn down vol. down to 10 or less......

on the other hand, I can't afford dynomat...... well...I could... but I don't feel like spending money on something I did not screw up on...
Cyau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #37
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
This is why TRD made a door stablizer kit:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8395

but of course at that price its hella unreasonable imo.
the door stabilizers aren't for rattles.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #38
BOLT

Drives: FS FT86
The technician was absolutely right when he said that the base of your master switch
panel is vibrating against the frame for the door panel. its an easy fix, remove the switch, apply some anti-vibration padding around the mounting surface of the switch and re-install.

also to the speaker question, no you cannot remove the speaker grille fascia because it is complete with the door panel.
BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #39
JS86JS

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 GTS, Marine Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
Grrrrr... hate dealerships. SO much.

So took my FR-S in for her first service. Needed an oil change, had some condensation in the taillight, and from day 2 of ownership I've had a rattle in the driver's side door that's just gotten worse and worse. It only shows up when the music's on, but I don't exactly blast my tunes, nor do I listen to a lot of deep bass tracks (80's country, anime songs, and Otsuka Ai... I mean, c'mon!) Sounds like the whole door is about to fall apart, though I've found pinching the two pieces of plastic on the outside bit of the door's "cup-holder", it goes away. Clearly a clip or something that's come loose. Should be a simple enough rattle to isolate and fix, no?

Apparently not if you're Findley Toyota.

Service tech is trying to spin me some bull about how it's the top of the speaker hitting the bottom of the switch mount. Said they checked it out on another FR-S, and totally heard it on that one too. Said it seems to be normal, that the only way to fix it is "if Toyota redesigns the whole switch assembly", and I should, quote, "Just turn the bass down in the car."

If this were a nationwide problem with cars, and I got that response from Toyota corporate office... this would be the last Toyota I ever owned, period, exclamation mark. I'd go out of my way to steer people clear of the Toyota/ Scion/ Lexus brands, and probably Subaru too for good measure. Luckily (I guess) I seriously doubt this is a widespread problem on the FR-S/ BRZ, as for all the complaints I've heard on this forum, "Door wants to fall off" hasn't popped up at all yet. The crickets in my car are quieter than this.

But I'm a believer in being thorough, so I have to ask: has anyone else had a rattle in their driver's door like the one I've described? If so, how did you go about fixing it? Was it one particular culprit I should look for? (And before anyone says it: yes, of course, I'll be going to a different dealer from now on. Not that I'm holding my breath that any of the others around here will be any better, but slim chance is better than none).
The rattles in my car (Toyota 86 in Australia) are:

• rear brake light inside the car (fixed it by putting audio foam and double sided tape around the edges.
• both speakers in the front (same issue your having)
• both tweeter covers on dash
• also I have found the window button panel on drivers side does it too!

(With all this being said I have a 2000w sub & 9 speaker sound system and a full header back exhaust, so I can't complain about rattle because I probably caused them..)

I just turn my music up louder and its as if its gone away!!

20% window tint, Full DB drive sound system, Trunk & footwell neons, Injen SES, Number plate, reverse, dome LED upgrade, Debadged 'TOYOTA', Injen CAI, Borla UEL headers