follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #29
jimmillion
Power Ranger Elite

Drives: '13 WRB Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyR View Post
...Judging by Suby's comments and all the flak Toyota has been taking, FI isn't far off. It could be there as soon as next model year....
That's is exactly what I'm afraid of.

What the underground public have been craving for is someone to have the balls to bring back another well balanced N/A machine that didn't conform to today's standards of power. What Tada-san has done was exactly that. As long as Mr.Toyoda and Tada-san are in charge I don't ever foresee Toyota personally releasing an FI model. I don't think I'll be eating my words because here's why:

The biggest piece of evidence is the number of high profile tuners that already have the car to play with. Toyota is taking the old school approach where they're supplying a great car foundation and letting the tuning companies develop/build/and test whatever people want added to the car. Be it turbo's, superchargers, or hideous suicide doors. This is not only a revival of a great once thought extinct platform, but a whole underground tuning culture from the 80's and 90's.

Of course, everything I've said here is all purely speculation. But I'm sure I'm not the only one that's developed this mindset after following this car for so long.

Bonus: whenever I start doubting myself, this old interview always puts my mind at ease.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...tada+interview

-Cheers.

jimmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #30
MRZ415

Drives: 2015 Subaru WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am at least gonna wait till Dec of this year to see if there is still price flux...
and to see if Supply had caught up to demand ... I won't be able to afford
the vehicle unless Subaru offers 0.9 finance or something to that extend.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #31
tachi1247

Drives: 04 BMW 330i & 03 Mazdaspeed Protege
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyR View Post
That brings us to the next part. Waiting is different here. Judging by Suby's comments and all the flak Toyota has been taking, FI isn't far off. It could be there as soon as next model year. That's something that will be worth waiting for as it's not just a minor power bump like you usually see, but rather a huge jump. And a huge jump in power in a "lighter" car like this put this car in a totally different league. Of course the price will jump as well, that's one downside, but that FI will more than make up for it.
+1

the temptation for Subaru to not add more power and jump up and compete with a Z will be too much to resist. The interior quality is already on par so a 70-80hp jump would make it very competitive. Figure you add $4k for the turbo model and you still undercut a base Z by several thousand dollars.

plus I believe it has already been stated that the new stand alone WRX will be using a turbo charged variant of this same engine. That is a lot of money to invest and not use it on all the platforms possible. Pretty safe to say that engine won't end up in a forester so that leaves Subaru only 1 place to put it.
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #32
The Robot Cow

Drives: 1985 Corolla Gt-s coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
+1

the temptation for Subaru to not add more power and jump up and compete with a Z will be too much to resist. The interior quality is already on par so a 70-80hp jump would make it very competitive. Figure you add $4k for the turbo model and you still undercut a base Z by several thousand dollars.

plus I believe it has already been stated that the new stand alone WRX will be using a turbo charged variant of this same engine. That is a lot of money to invest and not use it on all the platforms possible. Pretty safe to say that engine won't end up in a forester so that leaves Subaru only 1 place to put it.
I wonder if they'll place the turbo motor it in the Brz Sti model?

Last edited by The Robot Cow; 02-11-2012 at 03:28 PM.
The Robot Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #33
tachi1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robot Cow View Post
I wonder if they'll place the turbo motor it in the Brz Sti model?
I'd be willing to put cash down that they will. The question is when. That will probably depend on how strong demand is. If these cars still are being waitlisted in December then they probably won't release it in the '14 model year, but if there are cars available then I'm sure they will release it to re-ignite the frenzy.

when they first announced the car I wasn't so sure that more power would ever be available, but when Subaru announced that a turbo fa-20 will be developed there was no doubt in my mind that an sti version will be available.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #34
tachi1247

another question to consider is whether scion will offer a bolt on super charger kit like they did for the tc. It would be a total departure for scion to offer a second trim line so any power upgrade from them will likely come in that form. Its possible/likely that the kit could also bolt onto a brz although you wouldn't get the warranty fr-s owners do.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #35
86design
Attack By Demons

Drives: 2022 BRZ (pre ordered)
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
im not waiting either. Ive been wanting this car for a long while. but now thats its closer than ever im getting SO excited. I dont want to wait for an RS or a turbo version..... IMO buying one N/A the first year and turbo'ing it yourself is much more respectable and "cool"... something that YOU do to the car will get props from me.

i agree!! doing everything yourself in building your car.... YOUR way is much better!!

also I'm not going to wait!! i'm getting it right when it comes out!! but the BRZ not the FRS
Old 02-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #36
tachi1247

I guess I would say that there is no point in waiting if I was getting an fr-s because I don't think that there will be any changes until the mid cycle refresh.

if price is important to you there is also no point in waiting since each model year will be more expensive and a turbo version will be more expensive still
Old 02-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #37
Variant

Drives: '94 Miata
Honda: I doubt they will make a RWD sports compact. If they do, it'll probably be ugly as sin.
Nissan: A Silvia wouldn't be too much of a stretch, but with the 370Z, I don't think it is likely.
Mazda: New Miata worth waiting for if you think you might want a roadster. New RX7 seems to be unlikely due to financial constraints.
Chevy: Most likely to produce a direct FRS/BRZ competitor with the Code 130R, but still not very likely.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #38
tachi1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variant View Post
Honda: I doubt they will make a RWD sports compact. If they do, it'll probably be ugly as sin.
Nissan: A Silvia wouldn't be too much of a stretch, but with the 370Z, I don't think it is likely.
Mazda: New Miata worth waiting for if you think you might want a roadster. New RX7 seems to be unlikely due to financial constraints.
Chevy: Most likely to produce a direct FRS/BRZ competitor with the Code 130R, but still not very likely.
I think you are spot on.

after the dismal failure of the solstice and sky gm won't be taking any gambles on a small low volume rwd coupe. They already have the camaro which has a much wider appeal in this country compared to the niche market the brz fills.

Nissan is also in no position to make another impractical rwd car. All it would do is eat into 370Z sales which starts at $31k. If you want something cheaper they will sell you an altima coupe.

the only reason to wait on buying is for a more powerful version of this car as there is nothing even in the rumor mill about a competing product from another mfr.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #39
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
I think you are spot on.

after the dismal failure of the solstice and sky gm won't be taking any gambles on a small low volume rwd coupe. They already have the camaro which has a much wider appeal in this country compared to the niche market the brz fills.

Nissan is also in no position to make another impractical rwd car. All it would do is eat into 370Z sales which starts at $31k. If you want something cheaper they will sell you an altima coupe.

the only reason to wait on buying is for a more powerful version of this car as there is nothing even in the rumor mill about a competing product from another mfr.
Nissan will dump the Altima coupe and come out with a rwd Silvia coupe in the mid $20k range to compete with the as1. If the as1 platform is successful. The 370z is a two seater, a totally different market than the as1.

Chevy will jump in too, but with a much cheaper car. Whoever can get closer to $20k and still have some form of handling magic will be a winner!

The as1 is going to start a renaissance in small lightweight rwd sports cars.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #40
Enemies

Drives: '13 SWP Sport-Tech (Limited)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
All the stars seemed to align for the BRZ/FR-S... Wonder if another manufacturer can get close.

6 months ago nobody really knew what to expect. I still can't believe that it's essentially been all great news the last 3 months.
Enemies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #41
tachi1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
Nissan will dump the Altima coupe and come out with a rwd Silvia coupe in the mid $20k range to compete with the as1. If the as1 platform is successful. The 370z is a two seater, a totally different market than the as1.

Chevy will jump in too, but with a much cheaper car. Whoever can get closer to $20k and still have some form of handling magic will be a winner!

The as1 is going to start a renaissance in small lightweight rwd sports cars.
we've been hearing rumors of a new silvia since 2009 and here we are in 2012 and we are no closer to seeing a final product than we were back then. Plus the 240sx never sold all that well in the US so I wouldn't be so certain that they bring the car here even if they do come out with a new one.

Chevy doesn't have the platform anymore for a RWD car this small (kappa died in 2009 with pontiac and saturn) and they certainly aren't going to come up with a new one just to sell 5000 cars a year. If chevy does try to get back into the game it will be a fwd vehicle derived from one of their existing cars and that won't excite anyone here.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #42
maxeveland

Drives: n/a
i usually wait a month when new cars come out to check the reviews
maxeveland is offline   Reply With Quote