follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 06-21-2017, 12:01 AM   #1
Feathergun

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Special Edition
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sap On Entire Car

Hey guys,

I've been really busy with work lately and neglecting my FR-S, I had some time on Friday last week to hand wash my car and clay bar it back to near perfection (8k miles so basically new still). I ran out of time that night and didn't get any wax back on the car and drove to a friends the next night for dinner. I parked about 10 feet away from a tree as to avoid falling debris from getting on the car I just spent so much time on, and when I returned to drive home, I had little specks all over it. I thought it had rained for a second but noticed the next day that the spots were still there. It feels like little dots all over my car paint and windshield, literally everywhere. I then started researching and discovered that some trees can blow little sap drops in the wind and now I'm freaking out. My entire car is covered with sap. I've read that you can get them off with Denatured alcohol, can anyone confirm? Also, after removing them with denatured alcohol presumably, would I then re-wash the car and wax it? Appreciate the insight.
Feathergun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:04 AM   #2
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,257 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathergun View Post
Hey guys,

I've been really busy with work lately and neglecting my FR-S, I had some time on Friday last week to hand wash my car and clay bar it back to near perfection (8k miles so basically new still). I ran out of time that night and didn't get any wax back on the car and drove to a friends the next night for dinner. I parked about 10 feet away from a tree as to avoid falling debris from getting on the car I just spent so much time on, and when I returned to drive home, I had little specks all over it. I thought it had rained for a second but noticed the next day that the spots were still there. It feels like little dots all over my car paint and windshield, literally everywhere. I then started researching and discovered that some trees can blow little sap drops in the wind and now I'm freaking out. My entire car is covered with sap. I've read that you can get them off with Denatured alcohol, can anyone confirm? Also, after removing them with denatured alcohol presumably, would I then re-wash the car and wax it? Appreciate the insight.
99% alc worked on mine. I learned that the carnauba wax attracts flies and other bugs that then land on car and leave little brown or black[?] dots. I have a bottle of 99% alc i use on my computer and that did the job in removing them. Then I just coated again with carnauba wax, then spray on wax.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:05 AM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathergun View Post
Hey guys,

Yep, you got the right plan.

Isopropyl alcohol/rubbing alcohol/denatured alcohol will take off tree sap. Just use quite a bit and then wipe it off. Let evaporate then wash your car ...... then wax it.

....... don't park near that tree no more......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:07 AM   #4
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Yep, you got the right plan.

Isopropyl alcohol will take off tree sap. Just use quite a bit and then wipe it off. Let evaporate then wash your car ...... then wax it.

....... don't park near that tree no more......

humfrz
Yeppers! Just do it on cool surface and shade. Not in sun or im sure it damages clear coat.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:30 AM   #5
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
Yeppers! Just do it on cool surface and shade. Not in sun or im sure it damages clear coat.
Good point.

Now that you're here, Packofcrows, ........ why do you have flies around your computer ??.....

humfrz
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Packofcrows (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 02:23 AM   #6
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Good point.

Now that you're here, Packofcrows, ........ why do you have flies around your computer ??.....

humfrz

Ewwww haha only the carnauba is used on the car. Alcohol doesn't attract flies afaik. It is used to wipe gpu and cpu thermal paste or soft dust on electronic components. Hehe
Old 06-21-2017, 02:50 AM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,012 Times in 1,855 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
I'd rather just clay bar the entire car again since using any type of alcohol will strip any surface protectant anyway, so might as well do it with a clay bar. That way, you don't risk getting any alcohol on the rubber strips which may cause it to dry out prematurely or discolor.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:52 AM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,012 Times in 1,855 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Either that, or something specifically made to remove sap from car paint:

http://www.autogeek.net/tarbug.html
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #9
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
We must have pretty weak sap in the midwest, a Two Bucket car wash using hot water does the trick.... unless its been baked on the paint for a few days
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:03 AM   #10
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Alcohol will not damage the clear coat no matter how much or how sunny. The clear coat is an urethane acrylic compound and most alcoholic or petroleum based products will not touch it once cured.
This is why bird crap will damage it so easily though since birds do not urinate separately and the waste uric acid from their system is mixed with their feces. Uric acid makes a great solvent for both urethane and acrylic. You also want to stay away from any products that include ammonia (i.e. Windex) since they are very rough on acrylic coatings.
So I guess ultimately you really should not piss on your car but most everything else is fine.
H1C (10-12-2018), humfrz (06-23-2017), mrg666 (06-24-2017), stevesnj (06-26-2017), Teseo (06-21-2017), TofuJoe (07-24-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #11
humfrz

Quote:
Ewwww haha only the carnauba is used on the car. Alcohol doesn't attract flies afaik. It is used to wipe gpu and cpu thermal paste or soft dust on electronic components. Hehe
Oh, OK ....... I used alcohol to help me fix my computer once ...... yep, 3 parts vodka to 1 part grapefruit juice ...... in a large glass. It didn't help ...... the computer is down in the basement ...... along with other things I tried to "fix"....using alcohol .......

humfrz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
JD001 (06-26-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 01:27 PM   #12
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@Feathergun

When bucket washing, soap concentration matters when you're trying to get more cleaning power. If you want lots of cleaning power, use more soap! Also, some soaps are more powerful than others. I find Chemical Guy's Citrus Wash to be powerful at helping remove crud. Also, a little elbow grease goes a long way. Just take care, use a few clean mitts so that you don't scratch paint by spreading around hard bits of gunk.

Be aware that using lots of soap will strip your wax and can dry stuff out, so after using a high concentration of soap re-wax your car and apply trim / rubber protectant when necessary.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #13
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
@Feathergun

When bucket washing, soap concentration matters when you're trying to get more cleaning power. If you want lots of cleaning power, use more soap! Also, some soaps are more powerful than others. I find Chemical Guy's Citrus Wash to be powerful at helping remove crud. Also, a little elbow grease goes a long way.

Be aware that using lots of soap will strip your wax and can dry stuff out, so after using a high concentration of soap re-wax your car and apply trim / rubber protectant when necessary.
There is a point where you can be using too much soap and the cleaning power is almost eliminated though. Soap should be used at the recommended volumes to be the most effective.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:04 AM   #14
Feathergun

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Special Edition
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the wisdom gentleman, I'll update when I have chance to get them off tomorrow
Feathergun is offline   Reply With Quote