follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 05-14-2019, 09:44 PM   #29
JBezugs
Grippin' Grain

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Came here to see if you have a sound clip of the JDL with the R400. Are you planning on posting one?
Yes sir! I've posted around in the Technical Topics forum already but I realized today that I hadn't updated my Journal! Well, now is better late than never. Sound clips will be below the incoming wall of text.

So to backtrack a bit on the JDL 4-2-1 header from a purchasing decision and onward from there:

When I bought this car, my original plan was to eventually upgrade the header to try to eliminate the torque dip when I could justify it and was comfortable with foregoing some warranty. I was after the highest possible gains, and I'm not a fan of the UEL sound on the Toyobaru twins (with classic WRXes it's a different story), so naturally that lead me to the ACE A350. However, in Canada, where the weaker Canadian dollar, shipping fees and taxes/duties are the enemy, the ACE A350 was really cost prohibitive compared to other, more common options.

When JDL released their 4-2-1 EL header, I was definitely intrigued given their reputation of offering very high quality parts that provide some of the best gains in their class at very reasonable prices. I was hoping that the 4-2-1 EL header would be more similar in price (in Canada) to their UEL or 4-1 EL offering compared to the ACE, and I was not disappointed.

Compared to the ACE A350 (non-coated) and a Delicious Tuning remote ECUTek tune, it cost me over $1000 less to get the JDL 4-2-1 (w/ full cerakoting) and a custom dyno tune with OnPoint Dyno.

Sasha said that it’s one of the highest HP NA BRZ’s he’s ever had. Car pulls strong right to redline and the torque dip is all but gone. These numbers are with the stock intake, stock overpipe and stock front pipe still in place.

For reference, this dyno is a bit of a heartbreaker... stock BRZ’s typically make anywhere from 140 to 155hp on this dyno.

For more reference a 2014 FRS with a catless JDL UEL header made 166whp on the same dyno.

Do I think that the Ace A350 could have provided even bigger gains? A little bit more most likely, but I don't know for sure at this point, at least without seeing the results back to back on the same dyno. Also, for the extra cost, would it have been worth it? I personally don't think so based on my experience.

Beyond the comparisons, how does the car feel? Well, the car feels completely transformed. I was never one to complain about the power of the Toyobaru twins, but the extra power along with the linearity of the power band without the dip is truly, truly life changing; the car feels so much faster now. If you have a BRZ/86 and have been on the fence about doing this, do it. You won’t regret it.

And now, sound clips! Here's a quick rev I had my buddy record with my iPhone 6S while washing the cars.

I also compiled some driving clips as well. Shot with my Nikon D3300 and Nikkor 35mm f1.8 lens, on a mount no where near stable enough. Car was mic’d up with a cheap amazon lavalier mic placed on the bumper about 8" above the exhaust tips. In-car DSLR mounting solution will need to get better to curb the shakies, but the audio from that mic on the rear bumper? Ace (heh).

Old 05-14-2019, 10:08 PM   #30
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
Yes sir! I've posted around in the Technical Topics forum already but I realized today that I hadn't updated my Journal!
Wah! Now Iím tempted too. It doesnít seem too loud and if the power hike is what you say it is, then it seems like a no brainer. Problem is I have a Corsa and those things tend to be loud when paired with a header. Then again I had a ride in a fully catless FRS once, also with a Corsa, and I didnít find it too bad. It was an EL header that was slightly unequal length though. I canít remember the name.

I was just going to get the FT86SF catted UEL header for the sound and the smell control but now Iím super conflicted. Are you happy with the sound?
Old 05-14-2019, 10:18 PM   #31
JBezugs
Grippin' Grain

Quote:
Wah! Now I’m tempted too. It doesn’t seem too loud and if the power hike is what you say it is, then it seems like a no brainer. Problem is I have a Corsa and those things tend to be loud when paired with a header. Then again I had a ride in a fully catless FRS once, also with a Corsa, and I didn’t find it too bad. It was an EL header that was slightly unequal length though. I can’t remember the name.

I was just going to get the FT86SF catted UEL header for the sound and the smell control but now I’m super conflicted. Are you happy with the sound?
Super happy. Even though this new JDL header is catless, in the car it’s not much louder than the stock header with the R400. With the stock header, the R400 was basically as quiet as the stock catback when cruising around. It did not drone, and with the new JDL header that still stands true.

There is however definitely more volume on throttle with the JDL header compared to the stock unit, which isn't a bad thing. I personally love the smooth sound that the 4-2-1 EL header brings compared to the stock headers' not quite EL, not quite UEL sound signature. If you prefer UEL (which a lot of people do), well as long as you keep your front pipe in place like I did, I don't think you'll have a hard time going with a catless UEL with solid gains like the JDL or Tomei/Gruppe-S etc. It's all preference at that point.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:37 PM   #32
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Super happy. Even though this new JDL header is catless, in the car itís not much louder than the stock header with the R400. With the stock header, the R400 was basically as quiet as the stock catback when cruising around. It did not drone, and with the new JDL header that still stands true.

There is however definitely more volume on throttle with the JDL header compared to the stock unit, which isn't a bad thing. I personally love the smooth sound that the 4-2-1 EL header brings compared to the stock headers' not quite EL, not quite UEL sound signature. If you prefer UEL (which a lot of people do), well as long as you keep your front pipe in place like I did, I don't think you'll have a hard time going with a catless UEL with solid gains like the JDL or Tomei/Gruppe-S etc. It's all preference at that point.
I think I might seriously consider this one, as I was also planning on going to OnPoint and now thanks to you he has experience with this header!

Did you get it cerakoted locally or did it come that way from JDL?
Old 05-14-2019, 10:51 PM   #33
JBezugs
Grippin' Grain

Quote:
I think I might seriously consider this one, as I was also planning on going to OnPoint and now thanks to you he has experience with this header!

Did you get it cerakoted locally or did it come that way from JDL?

No problem, someone had to do it!

The Cerakote was done by JDL when I ordered the header. Itís an optional extra when you order, but definitely recommended for heat management and to keep the finish on the header looking nice.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:03 PM   #34
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
No problem, someone had to do it!

The Cerakote was done by JDL when I ordered the header. Itís an optional extra when you order, but definitely recommended for heat management and to keep the finish on the header looking nice.
Oh itís a must in my opinion. Okay last question, I promise, and feel free to PM me the reply.

Since you ordered directly from JDL, how much was shipping and did they ship through USPS or Fedex/UPS? Any duties? Are they friendly about declaring creative values on the customs form?
Old 05-14-2019, 11:27 PM   #35
JBezugs
Grippin' Grain

Quote:
Oh itís a must in my opinion. Okay last question, I promise, and feel free to PM me the reply.

Since you ordered directly from JDL, how much was shipping and did they ship through USPS or Fedex/UPS? Any duties? Are they friendly about declaring creative values on the customs form?

I actually ordered through AlphaMotorsports, Iíll pm you more info.