follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-02-2012, 04:41 AM   #113
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I test drove a 6MT FR-S on Thursday and drove a coworker's stage 2 STI yesterday (I've driven a stock STI before, as well as several WRXes from the original bugeye to the recent 265 HP versions). The STI's acceleration, as expected, demolished the FR-S' (this is also true for a stock STI as well as a WRX). However, when it comes to steering, shifter, throttle response, chassis, suspension, and road feel:

FR-S > STI > WRX

I was already leaning towards the BRZ, which now I'm pretty much certain I'll buy (I'll know in a week or so when I get to drive it).
Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #114
-max-

Drives: Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Don't know if its been brought up, but my 2011 WRX interior, and exterior for that matter, is crap. The quality of materials has gone way down over the years. I've had 02, 04, 07, and 11 WRX & STI . The new interiors are made of egg crates. Everything rattles. The rear deck is awful. The front bumper pf just about anyone that autocrosses is cracked because they are made of hard plastic. Quality is way down.
I looked at the FRS the other day and it appears to be made quite a bit better inside.
-max- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #115
86'd

Drives: 2012 WRX Sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just bought a 2012 WRX.

Yes I wanted a BRZ, but it was just too impractical and I needed a car sooner rather than later. Albeit small, the spectre of first year problems, markups and waiting lists also affected my decision.

My consolation is that when I put the pedal down, I know I'm really going somewhere. j/k

The WRX does rattle a bit, but coming from a 2002 Civic SI, with no A/C it's almost like a luxury car. And I have no problems laying Dynamat or foam to stop squeaks.

I was surprised on the door thunk of the WRX, seating position (can be pretty low) and touchable materials (elbow rests, steering wheel); are good quality.

Even though I haven't gone over 4k I can still feel the turbo rush at around 3k. The car's cabin is quiet, with an awesome exhaust note, and the stereo isn't that bad when playing over Bluetooth.

It handles well (as well enough on a public road as you'd want) and the only real complaint I have is that the shifter is a bit sloppy even after the SPT short throw. I hope to fix that with a heavier/lower shift knob and maybe some bushings.

I just have to get used to turbo lag, and the gearing since this is my first turbo car.

In the end the BRZ is a sports car and the WRX is a sport sedan. I think the BRZ is more my kind of car...just without the looming prospect of two kids on the way. I've been a supporter of it since I've found out about it. It's low, high revving, and has a great shifter; it's just too small for a growing family and I ultimately couldn't see myself living around the BRZ, rather than with it.

If you can get the BRZ, by all means do it.

But, the WRX I would say is a great sporty car and hardly a compromise. I do hope to get a BRZ a few years down the road, or at the very least an AP1 S2000 or NA Miata project car to cruise around in on weekends. It's amazing how fun small cars can be.

It's also amazing how much fun 265hp is, especially when you can spend $600 and get 20+ more.
86'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #116
neutral
Drifter-Wannabe

Drives: Firestorm MT FR-S
Send a message via AIM to neutral
My fiance has a 2012 WRX, I have the FR-S. She likes off-the-line acceleration, I like a communicative and light car. I find her clutch pedal to be a little too stiff, steering to be too light and numb. I came from a CRX, and the FR-S is the closest modern car I've found to matching the "driver car" feel I came to love in the CRX. Different cars for different people. Both are great cars. Just depends on what you like most about driving.
neutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #117
FRSCoupe

Drives: Toyota
I don't know much about the WRX but seriously cross shopping, because I am thinking of waiting 2 years for the Kouki FRS / BRZ
Does anyone have good thing to say about the 2012 WRX? I know the steering response and handling will not be as good but I'm sure it can't be that bad.

Is this the last year of it's generation?

It appears just as difficult to find as the BRZ however.
FRSCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #118
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Drives: 2004 GS430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSCoupe View Post
Does anyone have good thing to say about the 2012 WRX?
It is effortless to pass pricks on the highway.
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #119
FRSCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiHachiRoku View Post
It is effortless to pass pricks on the highway.
Hey I read your post earlier about driving the WRX in CO, not sure if you have had the FRS back then.. but now that you had done both, can you give me a summary of how they compare?
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSCoupe For This Useful Post:
YukiHachiRoku (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #120
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Quote:
Hey I read your post earlier about driving the WRX in CO, not sure if you have had the FRS back then.. but now that you had done both, can you give me a summary of how they compare?
I've been driving the FR-S around a lot lately (since the WRX is my dad's car) But I went to pick him up at the airport last night, so I used his car because I needed a boost fix.

When I got in, it felt weird (although I used to drive his car all the time) Clutch felt soooo heavy compared to feather-light FR-S clutch. Gearbox felt spongy and sloppy. Car felt heavier cuz it is lol!, But when I was on the highway, accidently mobbed to 90 mph really fast because I'm so used to wringing out all the gears in the FR-S and not getting to speed as quick. Handling is not good as FR-s but it's to be expected. WRX is nice to pass with ease when people clogging up lanes or driving like morons.

WRX top end smokes, and turbo at altitude is no joke. Then I get home from work today and my dad takes my keys and takes my car for 20 minute joyride comes back and says "heh, you got good torque at 3K, was like da fawk lol? Then says he couldn't live with it because it would beat him to death and that it is too small. He also said the engine is choked up in stock form, and needs to breathe better. His last car before his WRX was a 08 Civic Si. So there are two honest takes about the two cars in my garage. Mom drives a Rav4 limited, it's nice in the snow, but that's about it haha...

I almost bought an s2000 before I bought the FR-s. I cruised around in my buddies s2000 for a few months in Hawaii, and my buddy here has one. I just wish the boxer was a little more high strung, but I guess it does have better low mid range torque.
The Following User Says Thank You to YukiHachiRoku For This Useful Post:
FRSCoupe (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #121
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Read EVO magazine which has just arrived at news stands. They compare the
BRZ to older WRXs and the BRZ loses again! I do not think it has prevailed in one comparison in that magazine.

To really condense their opinion of it, it comes down to "needs 50 more horsepower and 50 foot pounds more torque".
Old 06-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #122
FRSCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
Read EVO magazine which has just arrived at news stands. They compare the
BRZ to older WRXs and the BRZ loses again! I do not think it has prevailed in one comparison in that magazine.

To really condense their opinion of it, it comes down to "needs 50 more horsepower and 50 foot pounds more torque".
What.. is this a drag race magazine?
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSCoupe For This Useful Post:
Minovsky (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #123
dirkXPC

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiHachiRoku View Post
I almost bought an s2000 before I bought the FR-s. I cruised around in my buddies s2000 for a few months in Hawaii, and my buddy here has one. I just wish the boxer was a little more high strung, but I guess it does have better low mid range torque.
If I lived in Hawaii, I would've gone with an S2000 myself. Then again, moving to Hawaii is a whole lot more expensive than getting an FR-S or BRZ
dirkXPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #124
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Quote:
That mag can die in a fire.
The Following User Says Thank You to YukiHachiRoku For This Useful Post:
Minovsky (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #125
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkXPC View Post
If I lived in Hawaii, I would've gone with an S2000 myself. Then again, moving to Hawaii is a whole lot more expensive than getting an FR-S or BRZ
Yeah, cruising through Waikiki everyone snaps necks lol!
Old 06-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #126
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
EVO? No, it is a British car magazine. One of the Top Gear guys writes a column for it. It is like their version of R&T, C&D or MT. But for some reason they seem to dislike the BRZ and claim it is all "Hype" and no "HP". I refuse to buy the magazine after they tested an automatic BRZ against a trio of competitors and pronounced it as the loser. This is the third comparison article they have done and it lost them all according to these "expert automotive journalist".

Those other articles are old news and have been discussed thoroughly on this forum.