follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #15
CSSM
Still Dreamin'

Drives: 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcX4ever View Post
Ummm..

They called it FR-S because the engine is in FRONT and it is RWD.

They called it MR-S because the engine is in MID and it is also a RWD

It's like Front RWD -Sport or something or Mid RWD - Sport

just my guess..

I was just being technical. Because most of the engine is behind the front axle it is technically a front mid engine, which is still a front engine. It is just pushed back for better weight balance.
CSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:30 AM   #16
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
[quote=Lasse;147262]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post

Cargo space? Well you can take a toothbrush in the Spyder. FR-S/BRZ win!

Handling and brakes? I have seen the FR-S/BRZ up close but no test drive yet so we will see. I will be shocked it it handles as good as the Spyder.

QUOTE]

Huh? MR2 handles that well?

Lack of cargo space is lil disturbin. Can you make a weekend trip with your wife?
Think of it this way.
MRS + 2ZZGE swap = poor man's lotus elise/exige.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #17
RaceR

Drives: 2010 Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I just sold my MR2 Spyder. Had a hardtop too.

975kg, driving position, MR engine. makes it feel like a go-cart!
Very fun car!
But mine got very expensive to run. Engine block. cat.converters (all of them!), several O2 sensors, VVT stuff, injectors, 2 brake calipers, some "bearings" inside the gearbox..etc.. yeah.. a lot of stuf. I probably got a lemon.
But I have been looking at lots of adds after i bought my car. I would estimate about/near 2/7 of the cars out there have had engine replacement due to oil consumption. In many cases that was a result of faulty cat. converters. And they are expensive and easily broken.
You need them in Norway and you probably need them in Finland.
People got that stuff on warranty earlier. No warranty now due to age..

Toyota have a good reputation for making good cars. But according to some statistics I read in a car magazine the MR2 spyder was the least reliable of all the Toyotas.
I owned my car for 1 year and 2 months. The expenses on the car was about twice of my 3 previous cars combined. And two of them were older BMWs that I owned for several years combined (they were pretty cheap to run).

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthr...es-(Post-Yours) Yeah, we can say some people have had problems. And this is only people on one forum having problems.
I would not like to own one of these cars driving around with catalytic converters. But it is important to say that the engine problems are not much know on the 03- models.
According to my dealership they did not know the catalytic converters could damage the engine block. Ten years later! They had replaced several engine blocks due to oval side walls and oil consumtion.
Thing is, when getting a replacement short block you can not be 100% sure to get a good one. When buying new cat. converters you should get the good 03- ones. But in my case they were not in great condition only after 6 months.
Needless to say. In one way, i miss my little go-car car. But I now sleep better at night.

For reliability I would recommend MX5 NB(FL) if your looking for a fun little car with about 140hk and low weight.

The Toybaru have torsen LSD stock. The earlier models MR2 models did not have LSD stock in Europe. It was available later tough.
One of the amazing things with the MR2 is that the diff felt like it an LSD. It spun two tires basically every time! I have never experienced a car with open diff that were so playful. I had great fun on twisty wet roads.
But its a short MR car. You have to know what you are doing. It is easy to powerdrift if you are on the edge of grip on a lower grip surface. But it is not the car you easily hold long drifts with compared a typical 140-200hk heavier BMW. You dont really have the power to it either. 138/140hk on 975kg should be fast. But it feels slower than you would think. It does not have much torque, and the engine only comes alive above 4000rpm. The VVT system is like a light version of Vtec.

Handling wise I liked it i alot. Great in the winter as well in my opinion. But not suited for a novice driver. Based on what I have seen on best motoring. Handlig wise the MX5 is more balanced. A friend of mine tough the MR2 was a bit nervous in the snow compared to typical FR cars. But that was only his first impression. He did not get to know the car like I did. But doing longer drifts is easier in most FR cars. And maybe I could admit it was a little nervous sometimes, but I did not mind.
After owning FR cars, one RR, I wanted to try an MR, and I wanted the go-cart feel, and I wanted some air. MX-5 were more common. Often more expensive since they are more well know and popular, and often with less power. (Atlest many 1,6l models in Norway) I considered the MR2 to be more special and more bang for the buck. The driving experience is very unique, and I wanted to experience that.
Cabin have some "squeaks and rattles" and it is noisy compared to a modern car or older premium car. Depending on taste, you could get tires of it.
Loved the steering feel. You felt connected to the road. You felt so much trough the wheel. I have a hard thinking todays modern electronic systems can match it. They usually feel more numb.
The car just went where you wanted it to go. It felt so nimble.
Driving position is very sporty compared to say, Cooper S.

To sum it it up. I had a "love/hate" relationship with my car. I loved it when it was working and "hated" it when it was broken.
Overall, I do not think it is a match for the FR-S/BRZ.

For the record. Im driving a 2010 Cooper S now. Will have that car till I get the GT86. The Cooper S is just so much more powerful, much more refined in terms of noises, and it has space (I needed that!) and still pretty fun.
I might not love it as much, but I do not hate it at all.. ;p

Crappy snapshot of both cars
RaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RaceR For This Useful Post:
normancw (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #18
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
The 2ZZ-GE/6 speed MR-S is the car that Toyota should have built. If they had, the car would have had a huge impact on the affordable sports car market. I love mine. With the FR-S/BRZ and the help of Subaru maybe, just maybe they have gotten it right this time
Old 06-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #19
RaceR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
The 2ZZ-GE/6 speed MR-S is the car that Toyota should have built.
I agree!
Old 06-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #20
Tbomb 25
Balance over power...

Drives: 13 Hot Lava Frs, 88 Supra Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I love the MRS even in stock form, but with a 2zz-ge its a complete beast even on the streets from stoplights....
Tbomb 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #21
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Whimsical little history lesson/tribute to one of the FT86's ancestors:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljUf_Vw19uA"]Midship Runabout - a Tribute to the ZZW30 - YouTube[/ame]
Old 06-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #22
Genomaxter

Drives: 2013 firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Pffff, just have both!

(btw, 2zz spyder is just rape.... no other way to describe it)

Genomaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Genomaxter For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (09-26-2014)
Old 06-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #23
RaceR

Nice video there Rampage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genomaxter View Post
Pffff, just have both!
Thanks for sharing the pictures!
What are your opinion about the handing and power in the cars compared to each other.
How does steering feel compare?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #24
lordtakuban

Drives: 2013 FRS - Whiteout
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I will have both. I didn't go 2ZZ with my MR-S. I went Turbo and Meth injection. The FR-S will be a definite downgrade on all levels of performance for me due to my mods on the MR-S. But it will be my daily driver and will be slightly more practical while still being fun.

My MR-S will become a more dedicated project car now that I can leave it taken apart for lengthy periods of time. To compare the 2 is a little silly. Stock vs. Stock, the MR-S is lighter and better fuel economy. They are probably pretty evenly matched for performance. The FR-S is new though and has some nice new amenities in it that are missing from the MR-S.

Bottom line is (like was said previously by Genomaxter) just have both.

Also, I remember that video. Well done. The guy modeled the MR-S by hand in 3D. great job on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to lordtakuban For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (09-26-2014)
Old 06-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #25
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
MR-S is my emergency back-up plan. With a Celica/Matrix XRS 2ZZ/6spd swap. And a hard top.

If it came factory with the 2ZZGE/6M combo, a hard top and didn't look so damn cute, I wouldn't be on this forum.

Mileage is good, handling is supposed to be superb.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still be oogling over the BRZ...

But with a 180bhp (2zz swap) Yamaha engine that screams right up to ~8350rpm, 6 speed manual, and hardtop, that'd be just perfect.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #26
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
My brother just got a 2zz MRS. It's pretty fantastic.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #27
uspspro

Drives: DGM BRZ, MR-S 3.5L V6 swap (sold)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I am selling my 3.5L 2GR swapped MRS for the BRZ I just picked up.

Wanted more room (kid seats, my bike, etc). I think with some added power the BRZ will be just as fun.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL3lm3mYr8g"]Marco's 2GR-FE 3.5L MR2 Spyder - 3 - YouTube[/ame]

I got new wheels shortly after this video...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALTdmf2yqqQ"]2GRFE 3.5L V6 MR2 Spyder Exhaust Revving Clip - YouTube[/ame]
uspspro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uspspro For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-08-2012), hmong337 (09-26-2014)
Old 06-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #28
lordtakuban

Drives: 2013 FRS - Whiteout
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uspspro View Post
I am selling my 3.5L 2GR swapped MRS for the BRZ I just picked up.

Wanted more room (kid seats, my bike, etc). I think with some added power the BRZ will be just as fun.
A small turbo or super charger kit would definitely help the FR-S. And... If you are the first to go turbo, you could add a "T" to the name so it's "FRST" heh heh.

But seriously, with some more power (not much, but some), it might be able to provide similar excitement as my MR-S all while having some nicer creature comforts and the ability to put a car seat in the back so I don't have a 1-seater. hahaha. Time will tell though. Hopefully, there are no pre-cat issues with the FR-S.