follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-02-2017, 08:30 AM   #1
DaBoBo21
Brett

Drives: ‘94 Supra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Greddy Revolution RS Single Exit Exhaust

Good morning! Last night my girlfriend and I installed my new exhaust (Greddy Revo RS). Sounds phenomenal. However, we had a hell of a time with the midpipe to frontpipe connection. The bolts and seal provided did not fit through the factory frontpipe. We tried reusing the factory bolt and spring and could not find a way to compress the spring enough to apply the nut on the other end. Through a lot of frustration, we ended up using spare bolts we had laying around the garage and used lock washers to make sure nothing would go anywhere. That being said, we still have a small gap between the Greddy midpipe and factory frontpipe. We checked for a leak and from what we could tell there wasn't. For now, the way we were able to connect it seems to work fine, but I don't feel 100% confident to leave it that way. We tried to find instructions or install videos/forums with this exhaust and completely failed. From what we could tell, there's nothing out there to help us. We are new to this, so any assistance anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Is this normal for this exhaust?
Do I need to reuse the factory bolt and spring?
Should I take it to a shop and have someone take a look at the connection?

Thanks guys!
DaBoBo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoBo21 View Post
Good morning! Last night my girlfriend and I installed my new exhaust (Greddy Revo RS). Sounds phenomenal. However, we had a hell of a time with the midpipe to frontpipe connection. The bolts and seal provided did not fit through the factory frontpipe. We tried reusing the factory bolt and spring and could not find a way to compress the spring enough to apply the nut on the other end. Through a lot of frustration, we ended up using spare bolts we had laying around the garage and used lock washers to make sure nothing would go anywhere. That being said, we still have a small gap between the Greddy midpipe and factory frontpipe. We checked for a leak and from what we could tell there wasn't. For now, the way we were able to connect it seems to work fine, but I don't feel 100% confident to leave it that way. We tried to find instructions or install videos/forums with this exhaust and completely failed. From what we could tell, there's nothing out there to help us. We are new to this, so any assistance anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Is this normal for this exhaust?
Do I need to reuse the factory bolt and spring?
Should I take it to a shop and have someone take a look at the connection?

Thanks guys!
you dont have to use stock bolts. homedepot bolts are fine. as long as there is no leak, i wouldnt worry. did you connect from front to back? try to loose all connection and connects from front to back and see if fitment is better.
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Its due to the donut gasket. Do you feel a leak under the car? If not, its fine. Snap a pic while down there to to help us confirm exactly what it looks like.

And yeah, OEM bolts wont work at all. Home depot or spare stuff is fine.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
DaBoBo21
Brett

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
you dont have to use stock bolts. homedepot bolts are fine. as long as there is no leak, i wouldnt worry. did you connect from front to back? try to loose all connection and connects from front to back and see if fitment is better.
We tried both ways, actually. Ended up having to go front to back in order to finish it.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #5
DaBoBo21
Brett

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Its due to the donut gasket. Do you feel a leak under the car? If not, its fine. Snap a pic while down there to to help us confirm exactly what it looks like.

And yeah, OEM bolts wont work at all. Home depot or spare stuff is fine.
Gotcha gotcha. I'll snap a picture and upload it here soon. Thank you!
Old 03-03-2017, 01:52 AM   #6
balci

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I had the exact same problem, I guess we should notify greddy?

I ended up using the oem bolts and the donut gasket. doesn't look very nice but I didnt notice any leaks
balci is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to balci For This Useful Post:
DaBoBo21 (03-06-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #7
Detroiter

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I had the same trouble installing mine. It isn't a faulty design on Greddy's part. The catback is not meant to be used with the stock donut gasket. Without it on the stock bolts with springs fit through just fine. Mine however still leaks because my stock front pipe's flange is rusting away.
Detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Detroiter For This Useful Post:
DaBoBo21 (03-06-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #8
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroiter View Post
I had the same trouble installing mine. It isn't a faulty design on Greddy's part. The catback is not meant to be used with the stock donut gasket. Without it on the stock bolts with springs fit through just fine. Mine however still leaks because my stock front pipe's flange is rusting away.
Damn I'm glad I live in CA. That sucks

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David

Last edited by finch1750; 03-03-2017 at 11:03 AM.
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #9
Detroiter

Quote:
Damn I'm glad Inlive in CA. That sucks
Welcome to the hell that is Michigan, home of cars rusting apart and coney islands
Old 03-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #10
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
How is it not meant to be used with the stock doughnut gasket? When I installed my Greddy Supreme SP catback I installed a new OEM doughnut gasket and re-used the factory spring bolts.

@mpross how did your install go?

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #11
Detroiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
How is it not meant to be used with the stock doughnut gasket? When I installed my Greddy Supreme SP catback I installed a new OEM doughnut gasket and re-used the factory spring bolts.

@mpross how did your install go?

All I can speak for is mine specifically but there was no way in hell the midpipe was getting far enough onto the front pipe with the donut gasket there to even put the bolts through. It isn't flanged out like the stock one is. Also it came with 2 flat gaskets also. 1 for the midpipe to muffler section and I'm assuming 1 for the midpipe to frontpipe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Detroiter For This Useful Post:
DaBoBo21 (03-06-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 11:40 AM   #12
Detroiter

Just checked with Greddy's site and the Supreme SP specifically states to use the stock spring bolts and donut gasket while the revolution RS on the other hand does not. It probably has to do with the Supreme SP being a 2.5" system and the revolution RS being a 3".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Detroiter For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (03-03-2017), DaBoBo21 (03-06-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 12:27 PM   #13
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Oh, that makes sense!

Damn, well they certainly don't make installing this easy, do they?

@thecarfilmer how did you install yours? Any issues?

Quote:
Just checked with Greddy's site and the Supreme SP specifically states to use the stock spring bolts and donut gasket while the revolution RS on the other hand does not. It probably has to do with the Supreme SP being a 2.5" system and the revolution RS being a 3".

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:06 PM   #14
Pekingduck

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Damn I'm glad I live in CA. That sucks