follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 12-30-2015, 10:39 PM   #57
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I'm actually trying to be helpful. You're worried about this click or that click, and it's not worth worrying about. That's all. Nothing more.
3 letters...

O C D

Hahahaha i am OCD with anything car related :/ everyone has a weakness I guess haha. But your probably right unless your racing on a competitive level, however in that situation you probably wouldn't be running these coilovers
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
GeorgeJFrick (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 05:47 PM   #58
Jason@DSG

Drives: 1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
I read that too and already asked him about that haha! He said there is a stopper so you can not go past 0 or 24 clicks
Yeah they max out at hardest/softest...obviously don't force it past that lol. Start on one end and count
Jason@DSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason@DSG For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 07:49 PM   #59
GeorgeJFrick

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited LR
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
3 letters...

O C D

Hahahaha i am OCD with anything car related :/ everyone has a weakness I guess haha. But your probably right unless your racing on a competitive level, however in that situation you probably wouldn't be running these coilovers
Quote:
I'm actually trying to be helpful. You're worried about this click or that click, and it's not worth worrying about. That's all. Nothing more.
This gets back to our original discussion. A big part of my purchase is educational.

Like go_a_way_1, I'm pretty ocd about it. So I read the instructions twice. They state you can damage them if you turn it too far. So I stopped turning them until I better understood what was going on.

I didn't understand you were just trying to be helpful, so that's my bad. My apologies. I would argue about the 'each click' thing based on my research, but I'm no expert and shouldn't argue. I'l be extra careful with the clicks and adjustments. Methodical.
GeorgeJFrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeJFrick For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #60
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJFrick View Post
This gets back to our original discussion. A big part of my purchase is educational.

Like go_a_way_1, I'm pretty ocd about it. So I read the instructions twice. They state you can damage them if you turn it too far. So I stopped turning them until I better understood what was going on.

I didn't understand you were just trying to be helpful, so that's my bad. My apologies. I would argue about the 'each click' thing based on my research, but I'm no expert and shouldn't argue. I'l be extra careful with the clicks and adjustments. Methodical.
Yeah I am like you, read twice, ask 3 people what they think then go from there hahaha!! So far it hasn't failed me yet. I really hope mine finally ship this week hahahaha!!!
Old 01-05-2016, 12:43 PM   #61
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
I would make a rigid mount for your phone and then get an app that measures movement on all axis. Then make dramatic changes on the clicks, say one extreme, the middle, and the other extreme, to see what actually happens to the ride as you drive the same roads at the same speed. Narrow down to a setting with the best ride. Then you can move the mount from one corner to another, fine tuning until you get as close to the same results as you can, left and right and front and back. There, now you have something you can OCD on for the next 12 months.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 12:56 PM   #62
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
I would make a rigid mount for your phone and then get an app that measures movement on all axis. Then make dramatic changes on the clicks, say one extreme, the middle, and the other extreme, to see what actually happens to the ride as you drive the same roads at the same speed. Narrow down to a setting with the best ride. Then you can move the mount from one corner to another, fine tuning until you get as close to the same results as you can, left and right and front and back. There, now you have something you can OCD on for the next 12 months.
LOL I might just do this. I know some great bumpy roads (like really bad back roads) to try this on. I will do some extreme testing hahaha!!!
Old 01-05-2016, 01:04 PM   #63
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
It's probably better to drive the roads you normally drive.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (01-05-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #64
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:

Hey, Mine just came in. I see what you mean by the clicks hahaha it is kinda hard to tell haha! I did turn mine all the way soft and hit the stopper so your safe doing that if you mess up. Shock dyno looks alright, they are fairly close to eachother and I can always adjust them 1-2 clicks within eachother to help balance them a little better (provided I ever hit the point I can tell if 1 damper is softer/harder)

Edit: Shoutout to @Jason@DSG for all his help and getting me set up with everything I need to get this installed!! too bad it won't be until spring time.
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
Jason@DSG (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 04:48 PM   #65
GeorgeJFrick

Quote:
Hey, Mine just came in. I see what you mean by the clicks hahaha it is kinda hard to tell haha! I did turn mine all the way soft and hit the stopper so your safe doing that if you mess up. Shock dyno looks alright, they are fairly close to eachother and I can always adjust them 1-2 clicks within eachother to help balance them a little better (provided I ever hit the point I can tell if 1 damper is softer/harder)
So much snow! I'd love to do an install, but I tried heating the garage and the heater couldn't get it above 32F. As soon as it clears up, they're going on.

I'm glad the clicks are safe. I'm hoping to keep them all in sync damper wise. There is a "test'n'tune" in the spring for Milwaukee SCCA. That will be my day where I data collect on the click differences. I can't wait.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:52 PM   #66
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
So much snow! I'd love to do an install, but I tried heating the garage and the heater couldn't get it above 32F. As soon as it clears up, they're going on.

I'm glad the clicks are safe. I'm hoping to keep them all in sync damper wise. There is a "test'n'tune" in the spring for Milwaukee SCCA. That will be my day where I data collect on the click differences. I can't wait.
oh man its like 37F outside right now and all the snows melting. I kinda want to put them on tonight, but I know I better wait. Yeah its really easy to tell when you hit the max or min if you go to far. Mine seemed to be 2 from full soft from the factory on the one I took out and played with.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:20 PM   #67
Jason@DSG

Drives: 1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:

Edit: Shoutout to @Jason@DSG for all his help and getting me set up with everything I need to get this installed!! too bad it won't be until spring time.
My pleasure bud Anytime!! You're going to love these when you finally get to enjoy them. Don't worry, full snow on the east coast too and cold
Jason@DSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason@DSG For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #68
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:

Also a quick tip, I noticed that each click seems to line up with middle of each flat side of the nut on the top, might make it easier for you to use the allen key spot on the knob and count the number of times it passes a side of the nut. IE a full rotation seems to be 6 clicks
Old 02-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #69
GeorgeJFrick

Quote:
3 letters...

O C D

Quote:

Also, @Jason@DSG

I installed these last weekend; wasn't a big deal but great experience.

Day 1:
I knew the hardest part would be the front end links and it was. If you are in the midwest I'd go ahead and hit them with the torch to start. Came right off after that.

There were a few errors in the install:
1) Wrong pre-load
2) Didn't tighten top nuts
3) way to conservative with height.

When we finished the car was an inch higher than stock and clunked badly on the slightest bump. Ok, have to do a second morning. Also, it rained through the entire install process.

Day 2:
- Torque all the things.
- Tightened the top bolts.
- Redo pre-load and lower car more.

Checked torque on everything; including the strut tower to frame arms (other threads say those sometimes clunked after coil-over install). One nut was 1/8 turn or so loose. The car was still clunking over some bumps, but much better. Ok, will require third morning.

Day 3:
Must have missed something. Turned out front end links were finger-loose and close to falling off. They have no hex hole; so I wasn't sure how they were supposed to get torque'd, etc. Hit them with the impact.

Car is quiet, still too high (stock height); but that's the winter-plan anyways. Before even starting I took everything apart and gave it a coat of T-9.

Not really in a position to review them yet; but I already got a lot of what I wanted out of this. Learned a lot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeorgeJFrick For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (02-07-2016), go_a_way1 (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #70
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Also, @Jason@DSG

I installed these last weekend; wasn't a big deal but great experience.

Day 1:
I knew the hardest part would be the front end links and it was. If you are in the midwest I'd go ahead and hit them with the torch to start. Came right off after that.

There were a few errors in the install:
1) Wrong pre-load
2) Didn't tighten top nuts
3) way to conservative with height.

When we finished the car was an inch higher than stock and clunked badly on the slightest bump. Ok, have to do a second morning. Also, it rained through the entire install process.

Day 2:
- Torque all the things.
- Tightened the top bolts.
- Redo pre-load and lower car more.

Checked torque on everything; including the strut tower to frame arms (other threads say those sometimes clunked after coil-over install). One nut was 1/8 turn or so loose. The car was still clunking over some bumps, but much better. Ok, will require third morning.

Day 3:
Must have missed something. Turned out front end links were finger-loose and close to falling off. They have no hex hole; so I wasn't sure how they were supposed to get torque'd, etc. Hit them with the impact.

Car is quiet, still too high (stock height); but that's the winter-plan anyways. Before even starting I took everything apart and gave it a coat of T-9.

Not really in a position to review them yet; but I already got a lot of what I wanted out of this. Learned a lot.

Thanks for sharing!! I cant wait to put mine on. The weather is so nice here but I know its going to snow again so I am still holding off. Any first drive impressions now that they are not clunking?