follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-15-2013, 12:03 AM   #1401
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My dealer called tonight to explain the reason for the stop sale that affected almost all 10 Series cars, not just FR-S.

First, there are absolutely no quality issues of any kind with the car. The problem was purely administrative. It seems someone in Japan entered 10 Series pricing incorrectly into the Monroney labeling system, the big sticker on the side window of all cars and trucks, and all of them were showing incorrect pricing. That also explains the delay in accurate pricing released to dealers.

Toyota decided to keep the cars in port while new Monroney labels were generated, the old labels removed and the correct labels attached rather than shipping the cars and then having TMS field staff visit every dealership to do it like they do for price increases.

So there you go. Any speculation, including mine, that there was some sort of paint or any other problem was incorrect.

I thought this was important enough to post tonight just for our peace of mind. Sleep well.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (06-17-2013), HunterGreene (06-17-2013), JSMIL (06-15-2013), Luis_GT (06-15-2013), projek_01 (06-15-2013), SpyderDan (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #1402
supra2nv

Drives: 10 Series TRD
Thanked 1,169 Times in 700 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
wonderful news
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post
My dealer called tonight to explain the reason for the stop sale that affected almost all 10 Series cars, not just FR-S.

First, there are absolutely no quality issues of any kind with the car. The problem was purely administrative. It seems someone in Japan entered 10 Series pricing incorrectly into the Monroney labeling system, the big sticker on the side window of all cars and trucks, and all of them were showing incorrect pricing. That also explains the delay in accurate pricing released to dealers.

Toyota decided to keep the cars in port while new Monroney labels were generated, the old labels removed and the correct labels attached rather than shipping the cars and then having TMS field staff visit every dealership to do it like they do for price increases.

So there you go. Any speculation, including mine, that there was some sort of paint or any other problem was incorrect.

I thought this was important enough to post tonight just for our peace of mind. Sleep well.
supra2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #1403
SpyderDan
Toyota hoarder

Drives: 10 Series FR-S, 05 xB, MR-S GT-300
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the info, torq!

It is good to know that there is no defect, however...

Really?!?? I've been in limbo all this time because of a sticker that I don't ever expect to see, on a car that will never be displayed on the lot? How long can it possibly take to print a correct sticker?
SpyderDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #1404
torqdork

Dan, you'll get the sticker with the car. The dealer isn't supposed to remove it. Keep it in your file so you can look at it and laugh in 2038 at the great deal you got on your newly classic FR-S, one of the most amazing GT's to come along in our lifetimes at any price, let alone sub-$30K.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more bean counters enter the equation. We know it was a bad decision disappointing future owners and dealers who had 10th Anniversary events planned, but they probably ran the numbers for dozens of Scion reps travel expenses including air, hotel, rental car, meals and incidentals (bar tab) to dealerships for changing Monroney labels against keeping the cars in port for an extra two weeks and cheaped out. It must have been quite an error on those labels for them to make such a radical decision and they figure we'll wait patiently for the hottest selling Toyota/Scion in the lineup on a days supply basis.

Last edited by torqdork; 06-15-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:47 AM   #1405
Ledippen

Drives: 2013 Fr-s Firestorm 2013 Fr-s 10ser
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

thank you
just to clarify do you know if its subaru paint or toyota?
Ledippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:49 AM   #1406
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:

Awesome! One step closer to getting my 10 series!
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:54 AM   #1407
torqdork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledippen View Post
thank you
just to clarify do you know if its subaru paint or toyota?
Not sure what you mean, but 10 Series paint is a new, unique paint code exclusive to Scion 10 Series and has never been used on any Toyota, Lexus or Scion in the past going back to the 1960's 2000GT.
The Following User Says Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
supra2nv (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 01:02 AM   #1408
Ledippen

Drives: 2013 Fr-s Firestorm 2013 Fr-s 10ser
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Not sure what you mean, but 10 Series paint is a new, unique paint code exclusive to Scion 10 Series and has never been used on any Toyota, Lexus or Scion in the past going back to the 1960's 2000GT.

meant if its the soft paint material like subaru or hard like toyota cars?
Ledippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:16 AM   #1409
torqdork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledippen View Post
meant if its the soft paint material like subaru or hard like toyota cars?
Oh, no reports yet and I'm no paint guru but will be detailing the car with Griot's machine polish and wax within 24 hours of delivery to help even the odds a little.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:21 AM   #1410
projek_01

Drives: 1996 ST204, Series 10 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
awesome info torq! to be honest, i haven't been sleeping very well lately lol. I would imagine it would be subaru clear coat. Doesn't make sense for them to flush the guns to switch paint brands in their factory. I have heard that BRZ/FR-S paint is actually medium harness (good thing). However, it is very thin so a large bug can possible chip the paint. 3M film is a FR-S best friend.
projek_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:25 AM   #1411
SpyderDan
Toyota hoarder

Quote:
Dan, you'll get the sticker with the car. The dealer isn't supposed to remove it. Keep it in your file so you can look at it and laugh in 2038 at the great deal you got on your newly classic FR-S, one of the most amazing GT's to come along in our lifetimes at any price, let alone sub-$30K.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more bean counters enter the equation. We know it was a bad decision disappointing future owners and dealers who had 10th Anniversary events planned, but they probably ran the numbers for dozens of Scion reps travel expenses including air, hotel, rental car, meals and incidentals (bar tab) to dealerships for changing Monroney labels against keeping the cars in port for an extra two weeks and cheaped out. It must have been quite an error on those labels for them to make such a radical decision and they figure we'll wait patiently for the hottest selling Toyota/Scion in the lineup on a days supply basis.
You are right, of course.

I never knew those stickers were "Monroney Labels", but I first heard it from my dealer on Monday morning. He was speculating that the car hadn't been released as expected because it didn't have the Monroney sticker yet, but still thought the car might be delivered later in the day. I can't help but find it a bit ironic that the Monroney stickers are what has held up the delivery all week.

I heard earlier today from one of my Toyota connections that he had heard that all the 10 Series had been delayed because of a problem with something "port installed". It didn't make sense to me at the time, because I couldn't imagine what common issue the cars could have that would be something installed at the port. The head unit was the only idea that seemed to be a fit. These stickers never crossed my mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpyderDan For This Useful Post:
supra2nv (06-15-2013), torqdork (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 02:03 AM   #1412
SpyderDan
Toyota hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by projek_01
to be honest, i haven't been sleeping very well lately lol.
I feel like I haven't slept all week long, existing in this anxiety-filled limbo. I'm surprised at myself for getting this emotional over it!

Then again, I have been following the development of this car for several years now, patiently waiting. I held out buying one all this time, hoping and waiting for a release series, based on being tipped off by another Toyota-insider about the options it would include, and knowing this would be the closest thing to a factory Toyota GT86 we will ever see in North America.

Moto-P generously let me drive his last May, selling me on the AT, and I've been dreaming about the car ever since.

I got to watch as the Pro/Celebrity Race cars were being developed by my friends at the Toyota Motorsports garage in Torrance, and was there to see them race at the Long Beach Grand Prix.

I've had the Japanese brochures sitting on our coffee table for over a year, taunting me nightly with pages of options and trim levels not available to me because I live in the US.

I made my arrangements to order the 10 Series immediately after the reveal at the New York auto show. I've been anxious ever since, worrying that I wouldn't end up one of the lucky ones to get one for one reason or another. Slowly, I got more info, saw the VIN and the upcoming build date, and the dream finally looked pretty close to reality. The ship arrived, and the anticipation just built up more.

Finally, I was given a date! I had been working a lot of overtime, taking work home on the weekends, trying to make sure I was in a position to take a day off when needed to get the car. I got that day off, despite looming deadlines. I got up early, fit in a visit at Toyota Motorsports, and picked up a friend (another Toyota connection) to witness the event.

Cue record-scratch-to-a-halt sound fx!

My kingdom just to know another date to prepare for, rather than continue on in this zombie limbo state I've been in all week.

And all this, over a damn sticker!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SpyderDan For This Useful Post:
bcj (06-15-2013), FiRStsc10n (06-15-2013), HotLeopardMama (06-17-2013), projek_01 (06-15-2013), torqdork (06-15-2013), TRD-X (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 02:13 AM   #1413
torqdork

^ Poetry.
The Following User Says Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
SpyderDan (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 03:37 AM   #1414
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi