follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #267
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrod View Post
Please add me to the list.
Killer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
This will be GrimmSpeed part number 6 for me I think.

License Plate Mount, Oil Cap, Battery Tie Down, Master Cylinder Brace, Hood Struts, now this. What do I get if I to 86? Keep making quality stuff and giving great customer service, and I'll keep buying it guys.
Thanks for the amazing support! When you've got 86 grimmspeed items on your 86, send me an email and I'll mail you an autographed shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
I'd like to be added as well, thanks.
You got it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tengu View Post
Add me please!
Done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmspooner View Post
Add me! (If I didn't ask before!)
I'll add you again, just in case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbos86 View Post
I want in!
Well, I suppose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob4Life View Post
Sweet can't wait to see the GB price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Count me in.
Counted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent201089 View Post
I'm in.
You sure are!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefrs View Post
is it coming in different colors?
We've had some feedback on colors. Most seem interested in black, but we've got some time before we need to decide. You preferred red, right? We can't make any promises, but I can assume you that we'll strongly consider options!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL7 View Post
Add me to the list!
Added!

Can't thank you guys enough for the kind words and support! Let's keep this party going!

Matt Beenen
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
cmspooner (05-16-2013), Slartibartfast (05-16-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #268
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The bar looks good and I like the fact that you're trying to go for a OEM look. My question is about performance with a strut tower bar. My thinking is for 99+% of us, the functionality of one brand's strut bar will essentially be the same as another brand's. Discriminators for us would be how much quality is perceived in the design (including how strong and light it is relative to the cost) and obviously how good it looks in the engine bay. Intuitively, with a strut tower bar, I can visualize better steering response at higher speeds and especially if you have lower-profile tires compared to stock. I have the FRS that has spring rates that favor more oversteer when compared to a BRZ which have been described as being more balanced (relatively speaking). Does adding a front strut tower brace to a FRS make the car more balanced? I'm just asking here, but if I wanted to invoke even more oversteer in an FRS, should I be looking at more of a brace connecting the rear towers? I'm just trying to get more educated on car mechanics and handling in general.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #269
BoxRZ_86

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
can you add me as well
BoxRZ_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #270
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
How much does it weigh?
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #271
goke186

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
pics?

VTR http://vtrweb.com/ (Reccomended Pacific NW Shop!) [CLOSED]

AVO Turbo http://www.avoturboworld.com (Great Products for a Great Price!)
goke186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:08 AM   #272
Sutty

Drives: Sonic Blue 86 GTS 6AT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Add me to the list pls
Sutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:11 AM   #273
BlueSTaR

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited & 16 Hyperblue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Add me please
BlueSTaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:31 AM   #274
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Drives: #SLOBRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Has anyone flex tested the chassis yet to see if these new strut braces are needed?
of the 8 people i have asked who have installed one of various brands, only one person so far has said it's done anything..

:\
Old 05-16-2013, 03:58 AM   #275
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,358 Times in 4,131 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddbutter View Post
Has anyone flex tested the chassis to see if these new strut braces are needed?
It isn't needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
We will touch on the specifics of our testing in another post, but in the interest of brevity we'll summarize our testing and results here. We made a very simple brace out of metal that fit on the studs on the strut towers that the triangulation bars are bolted to. We then took several data sets with our Faro Arm with and without different combinations of the stock triangulation bars and prototype strut tower brace. We did this to compare how much the strut towers were deflecting when we jacked up one side of the chassis to a calibrated height. This is NOT indicative of the lateral loads the strut towers see in cornering, where the forces are much higher and specifically located. Instead, this test is much more simplified, and results seen here will be more exaggerated when applied to real life cornering.

I took several data sets and then compiled them looking for trends. In my software I held one strut tower in place, and measured the differences in deflection in the other strut tower. I'll post a picture here showing some quick visual results. The blue stud represents the car sitting on the ground, completely unloaded. The yellow stud is the car loaded (jacked up to a calibrated height) with the triangulation bars and our prototype strut tower brace. The green stud is the car loaded with just triangulation bars. Finally, the red stud is the car loaded without the triangulation bars or strut tower bar.

What this initially shows is that the stock triangulation bars do a pretty decent job of minimizing deflection. It also shows us that adding a strut tower brace to those triangulation bars does an even better job at that task. Let the designs begin!!!
Given I have aftermarket struts and front lca bushes fitted I am willing to bet the asking price for this bar. If I don't notice a difference it is a small loss. (And hey, I'm not saying my purchasing decisions are perfectly rational.)
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
fuddbutter (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 06:01 AM   #276
Detailer_GT86
German Detailer

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Add the German guy please
Detailer_GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #277
RAN94A
Grand PooBah

Drives: Toyota 86 GT MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
interested
RAN94A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #278
GrimmSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit_peid View Post
The bar looks good and I like the fact that you're trying to go for a OEM look. My question is about performance with a strut tower bar. My thinking is for 99+% of us, the functionality of one brand's strut bar will essentially be the same as another brand's. Discriminators for us would be how much quality is perceived in the design (including how strong and light it is relative to the cost) and obviously how good it looks in the engine bay. Intuitively, with a strut tower bar, I can visualize better steering response at higher speeds and especially if you have lower-profile tires compared to stock. I have the FRS that has spring rates that favor more oversteer when compared to a BRZ which have been described as being more balanced (relatively speaking). Does adding a front strut tower brace to a FRS make the car more balanced? I'm just asking here, but if I wanted to invoke even more oversteer in an FRS, should I be looking at more of a brace connecting the rear towers? I'm just trying to get more educated on car mechanics and handling in general.
I would say that the effects of the strut tower bar are not the same as what you would expect from changing the sway bar up front. Adding a strut tower bar will not make it invoke more oversteer the way that changing the sway bar might. The benefits of the strut bar are mainly in predictability and consistency in driving. Linking the strut towers helps to minimize movement between them, which includes both tension and compression loads. The deflections that are present without the brace leads to changes in suspension geometry, however, minimal, but they are there. In practice, at relatively low speeds (20-30mph) we were able to more predictably break the front tires loose. Now, I'm not saying that the brace increases understeer at all, I'm saying that when trying to make the car understeer it was easier to accomplish with the brace due to the fact that minimizing deflections between the strut towers increases the predictability of the car's handling from minimizing unwanted changes in suspension geometry. Increasing predictability and "feel" for your car will always make driving it near the limit a bit easier. Also, you can expect a change for the better in NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) as the natural frequency of the chassis is changed with the addition of the brace, and in practice we have noted a significant difference in how the car handles pot holes and bump roads. Let me know if this makes sense to ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanka86 View Post
can you add me as well
Sure can!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
How much does it weigh?
The predicted weight is just over 4lbs (4.11lbs), so we expect it to be right around there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goke186 View Post
pics?
Working on a final sample, should have pics by Friday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
Add me to the list pls
Done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSTaR View Post
Add me please
Added!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddbutter View Post
Has anyone flex tested the chassis yet to see if these new strut braces are needed?
of the 8 people i have asked who have installed one of various brands, only one person so far has said it's done anything..

:\
@Captain Snooze quote what's probably the most accurate reply to that. His answer is correct. It isn't needed, but it is certainly good for a performance improvement. I might have some testing video to post tomorrow...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
It isn't needed.

Given I have aftermarket struts and front lca bushes fitted I am willing to bet the asking price for this bar. If I don't notice a difference it is a small loss. (And hey, I'm not saying my purchasing decisions are perfectly rational.)
Right on!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailer_GT86 View Post
Add the German guy please
German guy added, thanks for the support!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAN94A View Post
interested
Sounds good!

We've got some testing video from a couple weeks ago that we'll probably post tomorrow if I can get around to editing it into a reasonable length! Lets keep this going!

Matt Beenen
Engineering

Last edited by GrimmSpeed; 05-16-2013 at 11:00 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (05-16-2013), SkAsphalt (05-16-2013), Sutty (05-17-2013), tripjammer (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #279
jono_l

Drives: 86 GTS M/T 37J
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
First time poster here - please put me on there list! Definitely interested in an OEM looking strut bar.
jono_l is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jono_l For This Useful Post:
fuddbutter (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #280
GrimmSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono_l View Post
First time poster here - please put me on there list! Definitely interested in an OEM looking strut bar.
Sure thing!

Matt Beenen
Engineering