follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-08-2016, 06:04 PM   #15
tehpepsi

Drives: Slammed frs dark
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantana frs View Post
If its still under full warranty go to dealer. Its their headache.
I just came back from the dealer, pad, bearing, caliper, everything is good but still have the resistance, he pump the brake a couple of time, sometime you feel more the resistance and sometime is not that big but still have the resistance. So as THEY can't find the problem, it seems it "doesn't have a problem" so I have to pay for the brake checkout LOL. The "service guy" told me it may be normal they will compare it next time they have a frs in, or the abs cable can be more longer that the left one, wtf lol ?????? My warranty is done in march and in January i'm leaving the country for a couple of month so i need find what happens right now fuck -.-
tehpepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:02 PM   #16
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehpepsi View Post
I just came back from the dealer, pad, bearing, caliper, everything is good but still have the resistance, he pump the brake a couple of time, sometime you feel more the resistance and sometime is not that big but still have the resistance. So as THEY can't find the problem, it seems it "doesn't have a problem" so I have to pay for the brake checkout LOL. The "service guy" told me it may be normal they will compare it next time they have a frs in, or the abs cable can be more longer that the left one, wtf lol ?????? My warranty is done in march and in January i'm leaving the country for a couple of month so i need find what happens right now fuck -.-
Sounds to me like that either the tech at the dealership doesn't know what he's doing ...... or you misunderstood what he said.

Like suggested a few posts back, you may consider taking it up on the highway and running it for a few miles, then feeling both front wheel hubs to see if you feel a difference in temperature.. If you don't feel a difference, I'd quit worrying about it.

OR, take it to an independent brake shop for an evaluation.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:09 PM   #17
tehpepsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Sounds to me like that either the tech at the dealership doesn't know what he's doing ...... or you misunderstood what he said.

Like suggested a few posts back, you may consider taking it up on the highway and running it for a few miles, then feeling both front wheel hubs to see if you feel a difference in temperature.. If you don't feel a difference, I'd quit worrying about it.

OR, take it to an independent brake shop for an evaluation.

humfrz
The reason why I worry about this it because sometime when I jack the car to check how bad it is, I just can't turn the wheel with one hand, i have to use both hand to turn it and still with force it doesn't turn well.... some day it have alot of resistance and some day it have less but still have some.. full warranty done in march, so if I don't solve this now and next year it break, I will have to pay for this!
Old 12-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #18
humfrz

Quote:
The reason why I worry about this it because sometime when I jack the car to check how bad it is, I just can't turn the wheel with one hand, i have to use both hand to turn it and still with force it doesn't turn well.... some day it have alot of resistance and some day it have less but still have some.. full warranty done in march, so if I don't solve this now and next year it break, I will have to pay for this!
OK then, I recommend that you take it into a brake shop and have them fix it ..... and be done with it. Sometimes that strategy is less of a headache (although more costly) than trying to work with the dealership.

humfrz
Old 12-08-2016, 08:37 PM   #19
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Try another dealer. Go in and explain it just the way you did to us. There is nothing wrong with jacking up and inspecting your own vehicle.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:52 PM   #20
tehpepsi

Quote:
OK then, I recommend that you take it into a brake shop and have them fix it ..... and be done with it. Sometimes that strategy is less of a headache (although more costly) than trying to work with the dealership.

humfrz
Paying for something on warranty... just get the car in the garage it gonna cost a hundred $.. I bought a new car to don't worry about thing like that but it seems dealer don't give af about your warranty! Tomorrow I will call others dealer and see what they can do about this!

Warranty WAR
Old 12-08-2016, 09:25 PM   #21
tehpepsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Try another dealer. Go in and explain it just the way you did to us. There is nothing wrong with jacking up and inspecting your own vehicle.
yeah I will try with a other dealer tomorrow to know what they can do about this and clearly gonna ask for a refund. When you have a problem and they don't even know what it can be, it should automatically be on warranty.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:38 PM   #22
humfrz

Quote:
Paying for something on warranty... just get the car in the garage it gonna cost a hundred $.. I bought a new car to don't worry about thing like that but it seems dealer don't give af about your warranty! Tomorrow I will call others dealer and see what they can do about this!

Warranty WAR
Well, now, @tehpepsi , although your car is relatively new, you went and "slammed" it (i.e. messed with the suspension) ....... now, you "unslammed" it and wonder why one of your wheels seem to turn harder than the other.

Did you explain to the tech what you were observing with the front wheel .. ??

Did the tech at the dealership spin the wheel while the car was on the lift .. ??

If so, did he feel any difference in the two front wheels ... ??

I'm suspecting there is a Paul Harvey type "rest of the story" to be told.

humfrz
Old 12-08-2016, 10:42 PM   #23
tehpepsi

Quote:
Well, now, @tehpepsi , although your car is relatively new, you went and "slammed" it (i.e. messed with the suspension) ....... now, you "unslammed" it and wonder why one of your wheels seem to turn harder than the other.

Did you explain to the tech what you were observing with the front wheel .. ??

Did the tech at the dealership spin the wheel while the car was on the lift .. ??

If so, did he feel any difference in the two front wheels ... ??

I'm suspecting there is a Paul Harvey type "rest of the story" to be told.

humfrz

When I call to take a appointment, I told the service guy that I have a resistance in my right front wheel and it doesn't seems normal to me and I explain him all what I say at the beginning of this post. I told him that i'm pretty sure it was about my caliper or brake because if it was a bearing, I would hear a sound..
First thing he told me is, I may need a brake check and greasing the pad or change it because I was at 34 000km and there a "service checkpoint" at 32 000km but, I already made a brake maintenance like 8000km ago...
I ask him to only check my right front wheel because it may not be the brake and he totally refuse by saying the price is the same, I can't just go for one wheel they gonna charge the full price anyway.
So I ask him if it wasn't a usual problem, do I will have to pay for that? and he told me NO!
So yea, now at the appointment I go with the mechanic guy explain him the problem and checking this out so we lift up the car he check the left and right wheel and he saw the resistance, Unfortunately the resistance was there but not that bad as it be sometime, still, it was there and he saw it. So yeah he put the wheel out and check both caliper, pad , everything... and all was 100% good ! so now we have a resistance but we don't know what cause it, he pump the brake couple time, checking out again, the resistance was more intense a time and the other not that bad. So at the end, the service guy came to check and the mechanic guy explain him that he don't know what cause this so the professional "service guy" tell me that its probably normal and he talk about the ABS cable can be more longer at right?(lol wtf)
Looks like its normal to have a wheel who doesn't turn well to him. And he said he will compare the problem next time he haved a frs in the garage. He said too that the resistance was not that much right now to check in detail what cause the problem so I should take a other appointment the day I feel the resistance more intense.
So yeah he clearly saw a resistance going on it but basically he want me to fucking wait until something break because he know my warranty will be over.

(sorry about my bad writting, not my first language)
The Following User Says Thank You to tehpepsi For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 11:03 PM   #24
humfrz

Well, OK.

The suggestion to go to another dealer is a good one.

I'm putting my money on a dragging brake pad.

Did they check to see if the rotor was warped .. ??

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-08-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 02:22 AM   #25
tehpepsi

Quote:
Well, OK.

The suggestion to go to another dealer is a good one.

I'm putting my money on a dragging brake pad.

Did they check to see if the rotor was warped .. ??

humfrz
Uhm I don't know, he put out the caliper and pad like 3 times, if it was dragging or something how can he miss it ?

Should he have something for be sure it's not warped? Because he inspected it only like looking at it.

The funniest part is, I just look at the bills with the work order detail and in the comment section its say there's a good resistance compare to the left side but the cause is unknow. THANKS you for telling me, i didn't know that!!
Old 12-09-2016, 04:40 AM   #26
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
After a good drive where you use the brakes some (not all highway) feel the front wheels. Does the sticky side wheel feel hotter than the other side?
DO THIS
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:37 AM   #27
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
I had a similar problem with mine at around 60,000kms. It was intermittent, and I did not want to deal with the dealer/tech not being able to find the issue because it would only happen some of the time. I bit the bullet and paid for a right front caliper out of pocket, and installed it myself. That fixed the problem. IIRC, a loaded caliper/bracket was around $300CDN from Scion.

To test the theory, have a spray bottle handy with some water in it. Go for a drive (higher than in town speeds would be better) for say 5-10 minutes, pull the car over, and spray each rotor with a bit of water. A little "psss" from the heat of just stopping may be normal, but if that right front steams and hisses noticeably more than the others, I'd say a sticky caliper is a pretty safe bet.

Not quoting myself to be a douche...just too lazy to type it out again. This sounds very much like what my car was doing. What you are experiencing is why I didn't bother going to the dealer. As others have said, you may have better luck with another dealer, but those intermittent problems can be a real bear for them to track down sometimes.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:59 AM   #28
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

Warranty WAR
You then took that new car and changed most of the suspension.

Is that a caliper cover or just paint I see in the pic? If a cover then take it off and see if you still have issues. If paint then make sure you didn't get any on the sliders.

roddy (12-09-2016)

Tags
brake, calipers, problem, wheels