follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List
kidgogeta

Old 09-08-2014, 02:37 AM   #2059
Parappa

Drives: Scion FR-S White Out
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post
Good color choice, hopefully your paint won't chip though. Mine are going for a powder coating this winter, hoping they can match the matte bronze.
A bit worried about the paint chipping also, a bit unsettling that xxr only warranties bronze/gold for only 90 days. Other finishes 1 year.

Is there any product out there to protect the wheel?

How bad are your chips?
Parappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #2060
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parappa View Post
A bit worried about the paint chipping also, a bit unsettling that xxr only warranties bronze/gold for only 90 days. Other finishes 1 year.

Is there any product out there to protect the wheel?

How bad are your chips?
Its bad, I had my first chips within days of mounting the wheels. Its a shame, I love the wheels and the color. All 4 wheels have chips on about half of the spokes, the outer/rim part of the wheel has no chips. The wheels were installed in April of this year, never exposed to any salt/chemicals/fluids. I can snap pics if you want.

Where the chips are it looks like shiny black metal underneath so it appears they didn't prep properly or didn't prep at all. I don't think there's anything you can do to prevent it. You may want to just send them for powder coating before having tires mounted. I'm having mine done over the winter season.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #2061
deliroast

Drives: 2014 SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Still need to get mine stripped and coated but at this point in just saving for new wheels all together and using these to beat on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M3 > BRZ
deliroast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #2062
Parappa

Garage
Quote:
Its bad, I had my first chips within days of mounting the wheels. Its a shame, I love the wheels and the color. All 4 wheels have chips on about half of the spokes, the outer/rim part of the wheel has no chips. The wheels were installed in April of this year, never exposed to any salt/chemicals/fluids. I can snap pics if you want.

Where the chips are it looks like shiny black metal underneath so it appears they didn't prep properly or didn't prep at all. I don't think there's anything you can do to prevent it. You may want to just send them for powder coating before having tires mounted. I'm having mine done over the winter season.
The wheels are mounted already...I guess all I can do is cross my fingers. Never had wheels that chipped paint before. Are XXR really that bad? If anything happens I will contact customer support. Hopefully they will honor the warranty.

Would love to see the pics... I really hope that the wheels I purchased were in a batch that were prepped correctly. Don't want to be scared to wash and drive my car.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #2063
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Quote:
The wheels are mounted already...I guess all I can do is cross my fingers. Never had wheels that chipped paint before. Are XXR really that bad? If anything happens I will contact customer support. Hopefully they will honor the warranty.

Would love to see the pics... I really hope that the wheels I purchased were in a batch that were prepped correctly. Don't want to be scared to wash and drive my car.
You get what you pay for I guess. If I pay $100 per wheel for powder coating I am still at $1000 for a total cost of the wheels. As long as they hold up structurally I am ok with it

The problem with warranty is I heard they make you pay to ship the wheel back to them, which doesn't quite pay off at the price of the wheel. I had the same hopes as you as I read about this paint issue shortly after ordering mine, I do wish u luck.

I'll snap some pics when I get home from work.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #2064
Parappa

Garage
Would love to see more photos of FRS/BRZ with camber bolts installed on XXR 527's. Before and after shots would be awesome!

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #2065
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
@Parappa

A shot of each wheel. Its consistently in the same spot.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B-R-Z For This Useful Post:
HATED1 (09-08-2014), Parappa (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 12:29 AM   #2066
Parappa

Garage
Quote:
@Parappa

A shot of each wheel. Its consistently in the same spot.
Wow that is pretty nasty. Actually not even acceptable for a cheap rim....looks more like a defect. I would call xxr and keep complaining. It never hurts to try. Spray paint would last longer. If you have contacted xxr , what was their reply?
Old 09-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #2067
kiloGT86

Drives: 2014 Toyota 86 GTX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Talking

so almost 4 months later, almost done with the car .
Lenso Project D - Spec E - 18x8.5 +35
225/40/18 all around
stock height (still debating if I want to lower the car, it actually looks better than I thought without the springs)

Last edited by kiloGT86; 09-09-2014 at 10:58 AM.
kiloGT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #2068
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Quote:
Wow that is pretty nasty. Actually not even acceptable for a cheap rim....looks more like a defect. I would call xxr and keep complaining. It never hurts to try. Spray paint would last longer. If you have contacted xxr , what was their reply?
I didn't, because I read that they make you ship them back and it wouldn't be worth it between paying to remove the tires, paying to ship the wheels, then paying for another mount and balance. Just going to go to a local powder coating shop that does wheels and let them do it all. I paid $150 per wheel shipped, another $100 per wheel for a finish better than paint I am ok with. It would probably cost close to the same to powder coat for the cost of the whole warranty replacement process (dismount/ship/remount)... and what if the paint is defective on the new set? Back at square one after all that aggravation, no thanks. This has happened with multiple peoples matte bronzes over a decent period of time, I do not have faith that they fixed the issue, if they cared they would stop shipping out wheels that they know are defective.

Its annoying and bad business definitely, but again they are cheap wheels. I will send them an email with pics and see what happens.

Last edited by B-R-Z; 09-09-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #2069
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloGT86 View Post
225/40/18 all around
stock height (still debating if I want to lower the car, it actually looks better than I thought without the springs)
You need springs man, prokit would look solid if you don't want that slammed look.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #2070
kiloGT86

Drives: 2014 Toyota 86 GTX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
You need springs man, prokit would look solid if you don't want that slammed look.
I was just checking the prices out on ebay and eibach website. I think 1.0" should do it
kiloGT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #2071
Parappa

Garage
Quote:
225/40/18 all around

Car looks hot! Eibach Pro Kit is great for a daily driver. A bit more aggressive look without any compromises.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:23 PM   #2072
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Quote:
I was just checking the prices out on ebay and eibach website. I think 1.0" should do it
Check tirerack.com too.

Here's mine on prokit with stock wheels and on 18x8.75 w\ 225/40/18. It rides nice, little bumpier than stock.
Attached Images

Tags
17 wheels