follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
dizzario
Banned

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Swaybar Noise?

Hey guys, just got my coilovers on and I'm getting a lot of excess noise from the front. I've had many sets of coilovers and on older cars, too. This noise isn't just the suspension settling. Anyone have a smiliar issue after coilover install? I've searched on NASIOC and all I found was a thread suggesting they be torqued to the proper specs but I was sure to do that during the install.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
dizzario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:50 AM   #2
dizzario
Banned

Shit man all these looks and no responses? I know some other guys have had issues with aftermarket swaybars...but my stock one is pissing me off.

-D.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
camelflage

Drives: pinto power
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
what kind of noise? does it happen when you turn? or when you hit a bump slow? or fast?
camelflage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Check your endlink bolts. Make sure to tighten while using an allen wrench to keep the bearing from rotating to make sure its tight.
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I remember someone saying their endlinks were hitting the iner fender well, might want to check to see if there are any marks. I know when I installed my coilovers, my endlinks were VERY close to the fender well until I adjusted my alignment.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Check for tire/wheel hitting endlinks, endlinks hitting suspension, or lose end links.

Also make sure under load and turning they are not completely maxed out/twisted. That will cause a popping sound.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #7
dizzario
Banned

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info. To answer some questions:

The sound has is STILL here but not as bad. It isn't the sound of wheel/tire hitting anything...it's more along the lines of a 'popping' sound and it happens when taking turns. I haven't been doing any 'spirited' driving so my routes are normally straight-forward and on base. I'll have to check my inner fenders for any marks left by the endlinks. Thanks for the suggestions, though. I really appreciate it guys!
Old 10-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
Ranatsu
Cone basher

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Series.Yellow
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzario View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info. To answer some questions:

The sound has is STILL here but not as bad. It isn't the sound of wheel/tire hitting anything...it's more along the lines of a 'popping' sound and it happens when taking turns. I haven't been doing any 'spirited' driving so my routes are normally straight-forward and on base. I'll have to check my inner fenders for any marks left by the endlinks. Thanks for the suggestions, though. I really appreciate it guys!
definitely sounds like end links. What I had to do after changing my front struts out to tighten them properly. was to:
Jack up one side of the car, and remove one of the front tires
Put a second jack under the control arm, then lower the first jack so that the second jack puts the hub in a position that the car would sit at normally.
Then you tighten up the endlink bolts, put the wheel back on and repeat on the other side. You could do this without the jacks if you have access to a lift or something.

Hope that makes sense.
Ranatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:29 AM   #9
dizzario
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranatsu View Post
definitely sounds like end links. What I had to do after changing my front struts out to tighten them properly. was to:
Jack up one side of the car, and remove one of the front tires
Put a second jack under the control arm, then lower the first jack so that the second jack puts the hub in a position that the car would sit at normally.
Then you tighten up the endlink bolts, put the wheel back on and repeat on the other side. You could do this without the jacks if you have access to a lift or something.

Hope that makes sense.
Dude that makes PERFECT sense. However, since posting this, I've come to realize just how shitty the facilities and tools at the auto shop really are (again?). I might just have to get this done at an alignment shop...sucks a little but oh well :/
Old 06-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
dizzario
Banned

BACK FROM THE EMMEREFFING DEAD! Just took my collars out and the creak is audible when I turn. I'm guessing it's the sway bar. You guys have any input?
Old 06-25-2014, 07:04 AM   #11
shon

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had a similar issue because I didn't screw down the sway bar brackets tight enough

When you do have the car jacked up, turn the steering wheel so you have more space to fit a wrench onto the bolts for the bracket on one side
Then turn the opposite way for the other side

The noise has since gone 99.9%

Would only happen when I would make a turn - coming from the front
shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:46 PM   #12
MyEvilMonkeys

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I know it seems obvious but retorque your strut/firewall braces. I had never touched mine, but apparently they were loose from the factory. Torque them down and the popping noise went away.

FA500 Coils/Swift/Radial Upgd, Cusco R.LCA, SPC R.Toe Arms, TqSol. R.SubFrame Bushings, MTEC Shift Springs, Perrin Shift Bushing/Trans Mount, Greddy SP Exhaust & Intake, RPF1 18x9.5 +38, 255/35-18 SDrives, Raceseng Ashiko Knob/Lockout
MyEvilMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote